Android phones and USB DACs
Nov 19, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #7,456 of 9,526
Man, this is sounding pretty good even out of today's portable rig:

Nexus 6P --> Chord Mojo --> LCD-4 (playback controls via Pebble Time Steel, which finally received its steel strap)

You'll note the sample rate is correct with playback via UAPP...

Nov 19, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #7,457 of 9,526
just wondering, 
Man, this is sounding pretty good even out of today's portable rig:

Nexus 6P --> Chord Mojo --> LCD-4 (playback controls via Pebble Time Steel, which finally received its steel strap)

You'll note the sample rate is correct with playback via UAPP...

How's the battery when running a dac/amp off your phone vs. not using one? Is there a noticeable difference? 

Nov 19, 2015 at 11:41 PM Post #7,458 of 9,526
just wondering, 
How's the battery when running a dac/amp off your phone vs. not using one? Is there a noticeable difference? 

Depends on the DAC/amp in question, those with their own internal batteries have a negligible influence, those without like the GOV2 can hammer the battery (in the few phones that can actually give enough power to even get it running).

Nov 20, 2015 at 12:13 AM Post #7,459 of 9,526
Depends on the DAC/amp in question, those with their own internal batteries have a negligible influence, those without like the GOV2 can hammer the battery (in the few phones that can actually give enough power to even get it running).

I've found this to be the case as well. Interesting bit: one time I left the Cozoy Astrapi plugged into my S4 and even though no music as playing, it drained the battery completely in a couple hours.

Nov 20, 2015 at 5:52 AM Post #7,460 of 9,526
  Anyone found a 15 cm right angled  OTG to micro yet? Without it coming in at custom build prices?

If the 10cm cable posted by aznpos531 doesn't work for you and you really need 15cm, I can make you a custom cable pretty much at cost...

It won't be anything fancy and connectors are quite expensive when bought at low volume, I think they were like 4.5 euro each. But as it's a short cable you want, I can just use leftover cable from another project, so I won't charge anything for that. How does 10 euro + shipping sound for a 15cm OTG,90 degree angled Micro to 90 degree angled Micro, sound?

Just drop me a PM if interested...

Nov 22, 2015 at 12:56 AM Post #7,461 of 9,526
Well... I have a Moto X Pure, downloaded Jet Audio App, and tried connecting to my Fiio E07K. I was glad to see that I was getting music through the E07K but it sounded horrible... Thin, metallic and abysmal. Does anyone have a guess what the problem is? (I had originally planned on using my old Samsung S3 but I have problems with the usb port; it wasn't reading the E07K.) Any suggestions? 

Nov 22, 2015 at 6:33 AM Post #7,462 of 9,526
I got a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 and want to use it as music source. I upgraded to CM 12.1 and now UAPP and Hiby can connect to my DAC, but the sound is distorted and full of crackling sounds. Has anyone had a similar experience? alternatively, can someone suggest another Stock ROM with adequate USB-Audio support?

Nov 22, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #7,464 of 9,526
  Question on your post earlier, if there is no more OTG with USB-C is it just USB Audio?  I'm not really sure what the difference is but I knew that USB Audio was baked in to Marshmallow which is why I figured any cable meant for data transfer should work just fine (and has worked, so far).

With new Android devices having USB Type-C connectivity, it is no more relevant to use a USB OTG cable to connect one of these Android devices to a USB DAC, because the ID pin of a so-called USB OTG cable does not exist in the USB Type-C connector (the ID pin is used to determine if the dual-role Android device with a Micro Type-AB receptacle shall be a USB host or a USB peripheral).

However, like the ID pin, the USB Type-C CC pins are used to determine if the dual-role Android device with USB Type-C receptacle shall be a USB host or a USB peripheral according to the USB Type-C Cable and Connector Specification:

. Dual-role Android device with USB Type-C receptacle operating as USB host:
The CC pin of the USB Type-C plug shall be connected to GND through a resistor Rd (5.1 kΩ)

. Dual-role Android device with USB Type-C receptacle operating as USB peripheral:
The CC pin of the USB Type-C plug shall be connected to GND through a resistor Rp (56 kΩ).

So, a dual-role Android device with USB Type-C receptacle should be connected to a standard USB DAC always operating as USB peripheral by one of the following USB Type-C cables:

. USB Type-C to USB Micro-B cable, with the CC pin of the USB Type-C plug connected to GND through a resistor Rd (5.1 kΩ):
dual-role Android device with USB Type-C receptacle >> USB Type-C plug to USB Micro-B plug cable >> USB DAC with USB Micro-B receptacle >> amp >> headphones

. USB Type-C to USB Mini-B cable, with the CC pin of the USB Type-C plug connected to GND through a resistor Rd (5.1 kΩ):
dual-role Android device with USB Type-C receptacle >> USB Type-C plug to USB Mini-B plug cable >> USB DAC with USB Mini-B receptacle >> amp >> headphones

. USB Type-C to USB Standard-B cable, with the CC pin of the USB Type-C plug connected to GND through a resistor Rd (5.1 kΩ):
dual-role Android device with USB Type-C receptacle >> USB Type-C plug to USB Standard-B plug cable >> USB DAC with USB Standard-B receptacle >> amp >> headphones

. USB Type-C to USB Standard-A receptacle adapter, with the CC pin of the USB Type-C plug connected to GND through a resistor Rd (5.1 kΩ):
dual-role Android device with USB Type-C receptacle >> USB Type-C plug to USB Standard-A receptacle adapter + USB Standard-A plug to USB Standard/Mini/Micro-B plug cable (usually provided by the USB DAC maker) >> USB DAC with Standard/Mini/Micro-B receptacle >> amp >> headphones
or
dual-role Android device with USB Type-C receptacle >> USB Type-C plug to USB Standard-A receptacle adapter >> USB DAC with Standard-A plug >> amp >> headphones

Nov 22, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #7,465 of 9,526
This worked it's mojo with a Nexus 6P and my Mojo, if that helps:

Note: the 6P has several USB connection modes, the one for using external storage is the one that I presume operates all external USB devices, as that was the one required one for the Mojo to work.

As far as I understand, your setup is the following:
Nexus 6P >> USB Type-C plug to USB Standard-A receptacle adapter with the CC pin of the USB Type-C plug connected to GND through a resistor Rd (5.1 kΩ) + legacy USB cable (usually provided by the USB DAC maker) >> USB DAC

When the USB Type-C plug to USB Standard-A receptacle adapter is inserted into the Nexus 6P, the Nexus 6P should (always (?)) operate as USB host working with a USB peripheral like a standard USB DAC.

Could you verify if this Nexus 6P (i.e. with the insertion of the USB Type-C plug to USB Standard-A receptacle adapter) could be switched to USB peripheral mode by some configuration menu?  
I hope it is not the case.
I hope the "USB host / USB peripheral" configuration menu is only useful for setup with a standard USB Type-C cable (i.e. with two USB Type-C plugs).

By the way, could you provide a link to your USB Type-C plug to USB Standard-A receptacle adapter?
I will list working USB Type-C cables / adapters.

Nov 22, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #7,466 of 9,526
Thanks DanBa, was aware this was the case, but hadn't got around to checking the technicalities behind it. I have a couple of working A to C adapters that work with my Nexus 6P, eagerly await the emergence of some short micro/mini to C cables.

Nov 22, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #7,467 of 9,526

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZWN64RS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

+ USB A to Mini USB that was provided by JDS. 

I use this cable with my 6P & C5D, no issues:

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UUBS0SS

I received that cable today and it didn't solve my problem. :frowning2:

I was on custom rom + kernel and it didn't work. ( music plays through phone speakers only )
I flashed my phone back to stock rom + kernel and it didn't work. ( music plays through phone speakers only )

I don't think it's an issue with the port though - as I can transfer anything ( file(s), image(s), music(s) to a USB flash drive with an OTG cable just fine. )

I think some component of the setup is malfunctioning.

Each component should be separately tested: Go to next test only if the ongoing test is successful.

. Test the USB DAC with a PC or a Mac:
PC >> legacy USB cable provided by the USB DAC maker >> USB DAC >> amp >> headphones

. Test the Android device and the USB Type-C to USB Standard-A receptacle adapter (CC pin of the USB Type-C plug connected to GND through a resistor Rd (5.1 kΩ)) with a simpler USB peripheral like a USB mouse or a USB keyboard:
Android device >> USB Type-C to USB Standard-A receptacle adapter >> USB mouse

. Test the setup using the USB Type-C to USB Standard-A receptacle adapter, with the CC pin of the USB Type-C plug connected to GND through a resistor Rd (5.1 kΩ):
Android device >> USB Type-C to USB Standard-A receptacle adapter + legacy USB cable >> USB DAC >> amp >> headphones

If the tests are successful, apparently the USB Type-C to USB Standard/Mini/Micro-B cable, with the CC pin of the USB Type-C plug connected to GND through a resistor Rd (5.1 kΩ), is not functional (i.e. CC pin probably not connected to GND through a resistor Rd), then fix the USB Type-C to USB Standard/Mini/Micro-B cable or buy a new one.
Android device >> USB Type-C to USB Standard/Mini/Micro-B cable >> USB DAC >> amp >> headphones

Nov 23, 2015 at 1:00 AM Post #7,468 of 9,526

If the 10cm cable posted by aznpos531 doesn't work for you and you really need 15cm, I can make you a custom cable pretty much at cost...

It won't be anything fancy and connectors are quite expensive when bought at low volume, I think they were like 4.5 euro each. But as it's a short cable you want, I can just use leftover cable from another project, so I won't charge anything for that. How does 10 euro + shipping sound for a 15cm OTG,90 degree angled Micro to 90 degree angled Micro, sound?

Just drop me a PM if interested...

That's really nice of you ! Thank you very much for your kind offer. You prove once again that headfi reaches across the waters to bring us all together in this mad hobby of ours
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 23, 2015 at 2:45 AM Post #7,469 of 9,526
Hi Guys,

Need your help.

Due to Tidal currently buffering, stuttering etc off the Tidal app on my Mac, I am looking at getting an Android Tablet to use as my music player for Tidal in 'offline mode'. Aim is to use the UAPP app for Tidal playback to an external iFi micro DSD DAC.

Does the UAPP app recognize Tidal 'offline mode' playlists and play these back? 

Tablets I am looking to purchase are either the Sony Xperia Z3 Tablet Compact or Samsung Tab S2, as either seem to have decent CPU and 3Gb Ram. Can anyone confirm if either of these tablets will work with external DACs? Any other 8inch Tablet recommendations? 

Many Thanks for your help.

Nov 23, 2015 at 3:31 AM Post #7,470 of 9,526
  Hi Guys,

Need your help.

Due to Tidal currently buffering, stuttering etc off the Tidal app on my Mac, I am looking at getting an Android Tablet to use as my music player for Tidal in 'offline mode'. Aim is to use the UAPP app for Tidal playback to an external iFi micro DSD DAC.

Does the UAPP app recognize Tidal 'offline mode' playlists and play these back? 

Tablets I am looking to purchase are either the Sony Xperia Z3 Tablet Compact or Samsung Tab S2, as either seem to have decent CPU and 3Gb Ram. Can anyone confirm if either of these tablets will work with external DACs? Any other 8inch Tablet recommendations? 

Many Thanks for your help.

Tidal stuttering is a real drag at the mo, for some reason I even get it when listening in offline mode on my Sony Z3c but I'm sure Tidal will fix it. Since Tidal sounds much better using UAPP, I'd find a tablet that works with UAPP like the Sony. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back