Android phones and USB DACs
Nov 14, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #7,381 of 9,526

I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2, with an old 30pin usb connector. Is there a way to use it as music source and charge it at the same time?

How about using a Samsung Galaxy tablet dock?
http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/mobile-devices/accessories/others/EDD-D100BEGSTD

That seems to be right, but will it charge and play music through a USB dac at the same time? That is what I am looking for. 

Nov 14, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #7,382 of 9,526
Yes, it does.

Features
http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/mobile-devices/accessories/others/EDD-D100BEGSTD
"View or listen to your content while charging"
"Connect to amplifiers and audio devices easily"

Nov 14, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #7,384 of 9,526
Yes, it does.

Features
"View or listen to your content while charging"
"Connect to amplifiers and audio devices easily"

Could it be that they are referring to the built-in line out?

Nov 14, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #7,385 of 9,526
Anyone know where can I found a OTG cable with the new USB C? Thanks

For use with what device? USB C doesn't have OTG, it's not needed as the functionality is built in to the standard. Google sell a full-sized USB to USB C adapter in their devices store.

Nov 14, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #7,386 of 9,526
Anyone know where can I found a OTG cable with the new USB C? Thanks

This worked it's mojo with a Nexus 6P and my Mojo, if that helps:

Note: the 6P has several USB connection modes, the one for using external storage is the one that I presume operates all external USB devices, as that was the one required one for the Mojo to work.

Nov 14, 2015 at 7:53 PM Post #7,387 of 9,526
This worked it's mojo with a Nexus 6P and my Mojo, if that helps:

Note: the 6P has several USB connection modes, the one for using external storage is the one that I presume operates all external USB devices, as that was the one required one for the Mojo to work.

Damn, I tried changing the mode hoping that was the cause, but it wasn't. The only thing different about our setups is the cable connection; I'm using a micro USB A to USB C cable. I can't imagine it's that, though, since I used a micro usb male to male cable on my Nexus 5 and it too stopped working properly when I upgraded to 6.0.

Nov 14, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #7,388 of 9,526

So, as far as I understand, the Nexus 6P / 5X is configured to USB host mode when the "OTG storage" is checked.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFFgM0VBE9E

Nov 14, 2015 at 8:11 PM Post #7,389 of 9,526
Yes, that is how it worked for me. I tried the midi device connection first, but no go. Then I had to use an OTG pendrive to transfer some songs to the store 6P and kept it in that mode and it worked. I tried the other modes again afterwards, but nothing else worked. Didn't get to try a straight micro USB to C cable to check that, perhaps next time. Reassuring to know we seem to be good to go with USB C and USB audio, since all of next years flagships will surely use C.

Side note: the Mojo sample rate ball showed that the usual Android resampling was happening. Given it was a store demo did not have the option to try Hiby or UAPP.

Nov 14, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #7,390 of 9,526

So, as far as I understand, the Nexus 6P / 5X is configured to USB host mode when the "OTG storage" is checked.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFFgM0VBE9E

Yes, that is how it worked for me. I tried the midi device connection first, but no go. Then I had to use an OTG pendrive to transfer some songs to the store 6P and kept it in that mode and it worked. I tried the other modes again afterwards, but nothing else worked. Didn't get to try a straight micro USB to C cable to check that, perhaps next time. Reassuring to know we seem to be good to go with USB C and USB audio, since all of next years flagships will surely use C.

Side note: the Mojo sample rate ball showed that the usual Android resampling was happening. Given it was a store demo did not have the option to try Hiby or UAPP.

Wow. I don't have that option right now, since I don't have any male to female cable or devices to plug into it. So you guys did that first, and then it worked after that? I'm definitely willing to buy an unneeded cable just to get it working, but it's annoying all the same.

Nov 14, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #7,391 of 9,526
Wow. I don't have that option right now, since I don't have any male to female cable or devices to plug into it. So you guys did that first, and then it worked after that? I'm definitely willing to buy an unneeded cable just to get it working, but it's annoying all the same.

Which cable do you have? Apparently a Google engineer reviewed a lot on Amazon and found most were not adhering to the correct USB C specs, perhaps that is the issue? Of those he tried apparently only reputable brands like Belkin were working.

Nov 14, 2015 at 9:36 PM Post #7,392 of 9,526
Which cable do you have? Apparently a Google engineer reviewed a lot on Amazon and found most were not adhering to the correct USB C specs, perhaps that is the issue? Of those he tried apparently only reputable brands like Belkin were working.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Z5XFMB4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Z5XFRPU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

These are the cables I have, plus the stock Google ones of course. I did test the non-micro A to C and it's not compliant, but I'm going to hold off on ordering a replacement until they're cheaper and more plentiful.

That said, the only thing Benson (the Google guy) said about the cables was that they drew too much power from the sources, past the spec of A into the territory of C spec, potentially damaging a wall adapter or the cable if too much power went through it. The thought definitely went through my head that it could be the cable, but I dismissed it since I have the same issue with my Nexus 5 and that's using my old A to A cable, no C cables involved at all. I might just order the Google male to female cable and give it a shot.

Nov 15, 2015 at 3:43 AM Post #7,394 of 9,526

Wow, yes, it works with HibyMusic. I didn't even realize that was a 'thing'.

Unfortunately I don't have much of a music collection, as I use Spotify for basically everything and my FLAC collection wouldn't much fit on my 64GB phone anyway. I wonder what I should do at this point.

Damn, I tried changing the mode hoping that was the cause, but it wasn't. The only thing different about our setups is the cable connection; I'm using a micro USB A to USB C cable. I can't imagine it's that, though, since I used a micro usb male to male cable on my Nexus 5 and it too stopped working properly when I upgraded to 6.0.

As it works with HibyMusic, your cable is functional.

Nov 15, 2015 at 4:01 AM Post #7,395 of 9,526

As it works with HibyMusic, your cable is functional.

Yeah, that is a fair point. I ordered one of the Google adapters anyway, just so I can try something while I wait for it to be fixed in Android, and so I can try to get that OTG option that was shown above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back