Android phones and USB DACs
Dec 16, 2014 at 6:49 AM Post #5,881 of 9,526
I have a very basic question..

As I discovered that Lollipop supports native usb audio out. My question is will the low-end cheap devices (with no usb otg support by manufacturer in spec sheet) support this feature after getting updated to Lollipop?

Dec 16, 2014 at 8:48 AM Post #5,882 of 9,526
Short answer should be No. It's like e.g. with Samsung S4 Mini, no USB host mode, doesn't matter which ROM you are using.

Btw. it is a quite difference to support external USB drives or USB devices like USB DACs. I know devices they support USB drives, but no other USB devices.

The cheapest Android phone without contract I know with full USB host mode and Android 5 as ROM is the Motorola Moto G / Moto G 2nd.

Dec 16, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #5,883 of 9,526
Hi Guys,

I just got Shure se535 limited edition, I have Samsung Galaxy note 4, snapdragon version...I am looking for a good sounding DAP certainly an updrage I need to hear from my note 4

will getting fiio x3 be a good option, I dont want to spend a lot

Dec 16, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #5,884 of 9,526
  Thanks DanBa for all this info! It was nice of you to consolidate it for everyone. Hopefully someone will find a solution to make this work. Someone on diymobileaudio.com is running an ipad in his car through a DAC and then to his stereo. I don't even own any apple products, but if running an ipod could get the full 320kbps I might do it, I know my head unit is supposed to support that. I can still return the headunit I bought and get a new one if that and or getting a new phone would make this work. Im not sure if "full mirroring" means they are getting the full 320 kbps stream?

You can do that with a USB DAC compatible with the Galaxy S3.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/5835#post_11103594
http://goo.gl/yBKivk

Spotify backend infrastructure >> wireline/wireless Internet >> Spotify running on Galaxy S3 > 1536 kbps 16/48 PCM stream extracted from 320 kbps Ogg Vorbis >> USB OTG cable >> compatible USB DAC >> Pioneer AVH-X5700BHS head unit's amp >> car speakers
or
hi-res music files stored on Galaxy S3 > USB Audio Player PRO / HibyMusic running on Galaxy S3 > hi-res PCM stream >> USB OTG cable >> compatible hi-res USB DAC >> Pioneer AVH-X5700BHS head unit's amp >> car speakers

Im not sure if "full mirroring" means they are getting the full 320 kbps stream?

I think so.

Modded MirrorLink service:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s3/help/samsung-drivelink-dev-bounty-reached-t1837847

Spotify backend infrastructure >> wireline/wireless Internet >> Spotify running on Galaxy S3 > 1536 kbps 16/48 PCM over RTP/UDP/IP stream extracted from 320 kbps Ogg Vorbis >> Pioneer CD-MU200 USB cable >> Pioneer AVH-X5700BHS head unit: DAC > amp >> car speakers

Stock MirrorLink service:
http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/116873-samsung-galaxy-s-iii-gets-drive-link-app

music files stored on Galaxy S3 > stock music player running on Galaxy S3 > 1536 kbps 16/48 PCM over RTP/UDP/IP stream >> Pioneer CD-MU200 USB cable >> Pioneer AVH-X5700BHS head unit: DAC > amp >> car speakers

Dec 17, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #5,885 of 9,526
guys some feedback is appreciated

which would act as a better transport iPod 5 or lg g3 with lollipop, to be used as a transport for ifi dsd dac/amp

Dec 17, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #5,886 of 9,526
In terms of SQ there is no difference. Take what for you suit at the best
wink.gif
  I would go for the device with most storage space in this case.

Dec 17, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #5,887 of 9,526
  In terms of SQ there is no difference. Take what for you suit at the best
wink.gif
  I would go for the device with most storage space in this case.

i don't think its correct though, as using different transports make a difference, i don't if all others on this thread agree with u and an explanation to ur response is appreciated 

Dec 17, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #5,888 of 9,526

i don't think its correct though, as using different transports make a difference, i don't if all others on this thread agree with u and an explanation to ur response is appreciated 

You're just pulling digital signal into the external DAC. The DAC is then responsible for quality. That's why it doesn't matter where the digital signal comes from.

Dec 17, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #5,889 of 9,526
  guys some feedback is appreciated

which would act as a better transport iPod 5 or lg g3 with lollipop, to be used as a transport for ifi dsd dac/amp

Well if it was only as simple as some who have posted suggest.  It is not!  First, it is not as easy as sending bit to a dac and all the "quality" happens there. 

Did you know, for example, that the Android framework will take whatever sample rate files you feed it, let's say redbook and upsample to 48khz?  And did you know it will downsample a 96khz file to 48khz.  That is for all the players I know of for Android except one, UAPP.  And that is before it even gets to the dac......................

And when you move over to the IOS platform you face a slightly different scenario.  The stock Apple player will not play back anything above 48khz (at least ios 7 on my ipod 5).  Other players will.

So you need to ask yourself, what type files will I be playing back and then decide on some software candidates for each platform.  They do sound a bit different even when playing a 44khz file with good headphones.  Not that the differences are big, but they are audible to an educated listener.

My experience has led me from the ipod 5 to an Android platform for casual outdoor listening.  But it is still nowhere near as good as a properly vetted computer based setup used in the house.  YMMV :)

Dec 17, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #5,890 of 9,526
  Well if it was only as simple as some who have posted suggest.  It is not!  First, it is not as easy as sending bit to a dac and all the "quality" happens there. 

Did you know, for example, that the Android framework will take whatever sample rate files you feed it, let's say redbook and upsample to 48khz?  And did you know it will downsample a 96khz file to 48khz.  That is for all the players I know of for Android except one, UAPP.  And that is before it even gets to the dac......................

And when you move over to the IOS platform you face a slightly different scenario.  The stock Apple player will not play back anything above 48khz (at least ios 7 on my ipod 5).  Other players will.

So you need to ask yourself, what type files will I be playing back and then decide on some software candidates for each platform.  They do sound a bit different even when playing a 44khz file with good headphones.  Not that the differences are big, but they are audible to an educated listener.

My experience has led me from the ipod 5 to an Android platform for casual outdoor listening.  But it is still nowhere near as good as a properly vetted computer based setup used in the house.  YMMV :)

Not if you use USB Audio Player PRO.

Dec 18, 2014 at 3:38 AM Post #5,891 of 9,526
Or use the free HibyMusic app for Android devices, it provides like UAPP the driver support aswell.

@hykhleif

It makes of terms of SQ no difference which one you use, I'm talking about e.g. regular 16/44 FLAC rips, higher bit rate = larger files, less space on your small storage (mostly only up to 128 GB micro SD). All this stuff about down-sampling/driver support you need to know (as bixby said) yes. Still the basic question about the choice depends on other aspects and not on terms of SQ, like (@DJScope) said it's a digital signal and the micro iDSD do the "sound" part, your devices providing only the files for playback.

I use a Samsung S4 with 256 GB card mod with UAPP with the micro iDSD and I'm very happy with this setup: http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/5865#post_11120441

Dec 18, 2014 at 5:16 AM Post #5,892 of 9,526
i don't know when i play the same song 192/24 bit from the iPod using onkyo player it sounds different than when i use uapp on android when connected to idsd, with iPod i don't know why i find more warmth in the sound

Dec 18, 2014 at 5:53 AM Post #5,893 of 9,526
i don't know when i play the same song 192/24 bit from the iPod using onkyo player it sounds different than when i use uapp on android when connected to idsd, with iPod i don't know why i find more warmth in the sound

Is the iPod even capable of streaming 24/192 files?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back