Android phones and USB DACs
Oct 30, 2014 at 5:28 AM Post #5,596 of 9,526
  rhadorn :
Hi,

I wondered how this worked but was afraid to ask !

Well, I've just bought a new phone and wanted to try out UAPP so instead of transferring some music files on to it, I thought I would try this out !

So, is it meant to work with other Android devices on the network ? I use BubbleUPnP ( an Android app ) quite easily and together with a component the Bubble folk have provided for Foobar ( Windows ) I can play/render virtually any music file on one device to another and even copy files ( in some directions ). However, this does not , of course, work with UAPP.

So I started Bubble on my Xperia which then appears on my network - trouble is there are 3 different names, so I put each one ( in turn - not all at once ! ) into the field after ' smb:// '. None of them worked and each time I got a message saying : ' network failure '.

I tried with name of my computer and it failed with a different message about bad user name or password ( I didn't put any passwords in because I don't use one with my computer ).

It would be very useful to get this working so any advice or further explanation would be gratefully received !

UAPP doesn't use DLNA/UPnP. You should however be able to access your PC, but I think you will need to have an account with username and password and select a directory in Windows and explicitly share that. Please also see the Notes section on this page:
http://wiki.samygo.tv/index.php5/Mounting_an_CIFS/SAMBA_share_on_a_USB_device_to_bypass_DLNA

Oct 30, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #5,597 of 9,526
Thanks for the replies rhadorn and Davy. I didn't think UAPP worked with UPnP but it sounded so simple the way rhadorn described it, I just had to give it a try
smile.gif
I've looked at the 'notes' section of the above link and that does seem to explain why I could not access my PC, but I can barely follow/understand the instructions to set it up so I'll pass on that. I only tried it as an experiment - if I have to leave my PC on, I might as well listen on the PC !
I transferred a few files to my new phone ( Moto G 2nd gen 5" ) and, using UAPP, it played perfectly via my iFi Nano iDSD dac without any adjustment to the buffer ( I get occasional breaks in audio on the Xperia with the Nano ) so that's great - thanks again to Davy for an app which can produce such high quality audio from quite modest phones and tablets, and for all your support.

Oct 31, 2014 at 3:05 AM Post #5,598 of 9,526
I just posted the following on the Note 4 Sound Quality thread, but figured it is relevant here also:

Just tested the Note 4 USB Audio in store!
Compare to the other phones I have tested. VZW Note 4 tested with Charger Doctor and an HRT Musicstreamer 2.

USB OTG output current:
Note4 - 600mA
Motorola Turbo - 900mA
Note 3 - 900mA
Note 2 - 500mA
GS4 - 500mA
HTC One m7 - 300mA
HTC One m8 - 500mA (as I recall)

Native sampling rate:
Note4 - 48khz
Motorola Turbo - 44.1khz
Note 3 - 48khz
Note 2 - 44.1khz
GS4 - 48khz
HTC One m7 - 44.1khz
HTC One m8 - 44.1khz

Note 4 seamlessly (music pauses when disconnecting DACs) was able to switch between FiiO E17 and HRT Musicstreamer 2 and the built-in phone speaker.

Note 4 also changes sampling rate to 96k when playing 24/96 tracks with Google Play Music as well as the built-in playback of ES File Explorer.

Too bad the output current is less than the Note 3. It is strange that the Droid turbo has 900mA of output current and has no USB 3.0 capabilities. The Note 3 and Note 4 both switch to 96khz with select music playback programs. Unfortunately, they both natively sample at 48 kHz so 44.1khz gets upsampled to 48khz. The GS4 and Note 3 also output at 48khz natively.

Oct 31, 2014 at 5:26 AM Post #5,599 of 9,526
That's not a DAC but a full digital amplifier : the Hifimediy UD80.
"The HiFimeDIY UD80 is a true Digital PWM amplifier with no A/D conversion, no preamp or any analog signal path anywhere before the output stage. This makes a very direct link between the digital source and and the outputs going to the speakers, creating a very clear audiophile sound. "
This FDA amp uses a asynchronous USB connexion and I was able to use it on a ZTE V965 smartphone, using UAPP. 
My configuration :
- Smartphone ZTE V965 + USB Audio Player  Pro (UAPP)
- Y USB OTG cable (possibly to connect the charger)
- Hifimediy UD80
Indeed Audiophile Quality AC90-265V to DC36V5A switching power adapter  (need a good supply for this amplifier)
- JM LAB Focal DB19 (Vintage Audiophile French Speaker , 93.5 db)

amazing sound, incredible power. 

the UD80

Very small but very powerfull :

ZTE V965 + UD80 + Indeed power suplly

speakers :

french review

Nov 1, 2014 at 7:16 AM Post #5,601 of 9,526
Upcoming DSD compatible Teac HA-P90SD USB DAC-amp / DAP: 
http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20141025_673072.html
http://vaiopocket.seesaa.net/article/407858076.html

Nov 1, 2014 at 8:13 AM Post #5,602 of 9,526

looks GREAT !  

But if it is also a DAP, then why does it has an iPhone USB A connection and an Android USB B ?    

--> Can it work stand alone, like a "real" DAP ? Does it has internal memory (in addition to the Micro SD) to store the Music files ??

Nov 1, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #5,603 of 9,526
  But if it is also a DAP, then why does it has an iPhone USB A connection and an Android USB B ?   

"Upcoming DSD compatible Teac HA-P90SD USB DAC-amp / DAP" = Upcoming DSD compatible Teac HA-P90SD USB DAC-amp or DAP

--> Can it work stand alone, like a "real" DAP ? Does it has internal memory (in addition to the Micro SD) to store the Music files ??

[Google translation]
""HA-P90SD" is a portable hi-res audio player... Storage memory is not built-in, you can play the file in the microSD / SDHC / SDXC card (up to 128GB)."

Nov 2, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #5,604 of 9,526

Looks great! It can be used as a standalone USB Dac? Any idea of the (estimative) Price Range it will be sold?
Thanks
Dan

Nov 3, 2014 at 2:38 AM Post #5,605 of 9,526
I have the HA-P50, And if the two are anything alike in the sound department I would highly recommend it, 
The HA-P50 punches well above its weight, It cost me £170 where as a CLAS would cost brand new what? £400.
But the difference in sound isn't far off at all, Unlike the large difference in price.

My only wish would be a Coaxial Digital Input. 
The HA-P50 has Optical/iDevice/Android/Analogue & they all work flawlessly.

As for buying this model, I don't think I will, It looks great, However,
I already have the TEAC HR Player App on my iPhone & iPad, So pairing the two kinda makes this new all-in-one redundant in my case.
I haven't looked to see if theres a native HR Player for Android yet, But I bet there is.

Nov 3, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #5,606 of 9,526
Estimated price of the Teac HA-P90SD in Japan: JPY 70,000 (US$ 618)

The Teac HA-P50 is a standard USB DAC able to work with compatible Android phones AND an Android-specific USB DAC compliant with the Android Open Accessory protocol 2.0 (AOA 2.0).
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/5145#post_10762672
http://www.jvc.net/cs/car/firmware/2014/aoa/index.html
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/5490#post_10965848

Android phone as USB Host / A-Device >> USB OTG cable >> Teac HA-P50 USB DAC/amp as USB Device / B-Device (standard USB DAC) >> headphones
AND
Android phone as USB Device / B-Device >> regular USB cable >> Teac HA-P50 USB DAC/amp as USB Host / A-Device  (Android specific USB DAC) >> headphones

24/96 music file >> compatible Android phone using UAPP >> 24/96 PCM stream >> USB OTG cable >> Teac HA-P50 USB DAC/amp >> headphones
or
(xx/yy) music file >> compatible Android phone using generic music player >> 16/48 PCM stream (for most Android phones at the moment) >> USB OTG cable >> Teac HA-P50 USB DAC/amp >> headphones
or
(xx/yy) music file >> AOA2.0 compliant Android phone using generic music player >> 16/44.1 PCM stream >> regular USB cable >> Teac HA-P50 USB DAC/amp >> headphones

Apparently, the Teac HA-P90SD is not an Android specific USB DAC.
It is only a standard USB DAC able to work with compatible Android phones.

Android phone as USB Host / A-Device >> USB OTG cable >> Teac HA-P90SD USB DAC/amp as USB Device / B-Device (standard USB DAC) >> headphones

DSD music file >> compatible Android phone using UAPP >> DSD over PCM (DoP) stream >> USB OTG cable >> Teac HA-P90SD USB DAC/amp >> headphones
or
24/192 music file >> compatible Android phone using UAPP >> 24/192 PCM stream >> USB OTG cable >> Teac HA-P90SD USB DAC/amp >> headphones
or
(xx/yy) music file >> compatible Android phone using generic music player >> 16/48 PCM stream (for most Android phones at the moment) >> USB OTG cable >> Teac HA-P90SD USB DAC/amp >> headphones

Nov 3, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #5,607 of 9,526
I just got my Galaxy Note 4, and am looking into a mobile setup with a DACport. (buying an external battery and a Y OTG cable to power it)
Now I know that the DACport should most likely work with UAPP, as reported.

But my question is, for anyone who knows: will it work without UAPP?
Specifically, I want to use it while I'm playing games or watching videos.

Nov 3, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #5,608 of 9,526
  I just got my Galaxy Note 4, and am looking into a mobile setup with a DACport. (buying an external battery and a Y OTG cable to power it)
Now I know that the DACport should most likely work with UAPP, as reported.

But my question is, for anyone who knows: will it work without UAPP?
Specifically, I want to use it while I'm playing games or watching videos.

not sure of the dacport route but for less or same $ you could get a jds labs c5d that has a battery in it and not need the additional cable.  It works with the Onkyo player on my Moto G 2nd gen and kitkat 4.4.4.  I will be further testing with my android tablet.

Not sure what you mean about watching videos and playing games????  Are you asking about outputting to an external dac via you tube for example?

Nov 3, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #5,609 of 9,526
  not sure of the dacport route but for less or same $ you could get a jds labs c5d that has a battery in it and not need the additional cable.  It works with the Onkyo player on my Moto G 2nd gen and kitkat 4.4.4.  I will be further testing with my android tablet.

Not sure what you mean about watching videos and playing games????  Are you asking about outputting to an external dac via you tube for example?

yeah that, and just outputting sounds through the DAC in general, through the android software and without a specialized software
remember reading somewhere that it can do that? or did my mind go crazy and i'm mixing up my memories?

Nov 3, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #5,610 of 9,526
I think kitkat 4.4.4 has support for usb audio out.  Not sure if for all apps though.  I did just try it on my phone with youtube and JDS labs dac and it worked just fine.

good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back