Android phones and USB DACs
Jun 28, 2014 at 5:20 AM Post #5,011 of 9,526

I'm not sure about it streaming PCM as I was only playing 16/44.1 files. The LED indicator was green however.

So, the native USB audio of Android L can play 16/44.1 music file and output 16/44.1 PCM stream towards an external USB DAC.

As most current USB audio can only output 16/48 PCM stream, the sound quality of the native USB audio of Android L should be improved, because the output streams are not resampling (16/44.1 => 16/44.1 and not 16/44.1 => 16/48) as with USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP):

Jun 28, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #5,012 of 9,526
Update: My Verizon/Samsung Galaxy S3 got an Android update to KitKat 4.4.2 the other day. USB Audio continues to work with my FiiO E18 as well as Schiit Bifrost, All apps work, as before I do not need any special app to use my DAC. Happily they improved things, As before when the phone receives a call it does not come through the DAC. I used to have to unplug the USB to get the phone to pick up my voice through the phone's microphone. I no longer have to do this. I can leave the USB plugged in and use the phone to handle the call.
Perhaps there's a placebo effect going on, but I feel as if the bass response has improved when using the USB.

Jun 28, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #5,013 of 9,526
  Latest version of USB Audio Player PRO with preliminary DSD support: 1.1.9

Some free DSD files to be downloaded from 2L:
http://www.2l.no/hires/

A question....does anyone know if the tracks sampled in a DSD store like that are sampled IN DSD before one buys them. I ask because my iDSD device sees the sample played as a CD quality file regardless of what type of file I select to sample???

Jun 28, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #5,015 of 9,526
Hi all,

(I'm not an audiophile but I'm looking to build up ....)

Kit, so you know where I come from:
   Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro 250 Ohm
   AKG K551 38 Ohm
   Pioneer DJE-2000 in-ear's

iPod Classic 160GB

FIIO E18 Amp/DAC for Android, PC and Mac (in combination with Samsung Galaxy 5S) + 30pin L-Cable for my iPod
   (I use the FIIO E18 as USB OTG DAC + Amp on the Samsung S5)

In my PC, ASUS Xonar Xence (can drive up to 600 Ohm without problem)
   Logitec Z5500 Speakers via SPDIF

We all know about the iDevice music scene, for Android we get a bit less news I have the impression.
Hence my write-up ...

My Android Setup, in detail:
         - Samsung Galaxy S5
         - 128 GB microSD
         - FIIO E18 (via USB OTG, DAC + AMP)
         - PowerAmp Pro app for listening
         - iSyncr (bought full version), this has a PC and Android part/module.
         - iTunes + other + Loss-less CD conversions + FLAC Downloads

The FIIO E18 in different combinations:
Great device, bought through Amazon.

Use with Galaxy S5:
I attached the E18 to my Galaxy using Velcro. I tried the rubber bands, but they hinder the usage of the large screen.
The Velcro also allows me the quickly put together my small stack and disassemble it when needed.
The E18 is connected with the USB OTG cables that came with the device (2 cables in the package).

I find the sound very clear, no parasites from the phone.
A very neutral sound, and very nice amp. The E18 drivers all my headsets with pleasure, from the 250 Ohm Beyerdynamic to the 38 Ohm AKG K551.

The E18 has a great battery life. Not once i had to recharge during the day. Easily runs for 2 or even 3 working days for me.
Aside from being a nice compact Amp/DAC I can also use the E18 to recharge my Samsung should the need arise.

For playback I use PowerAmp Pro (payed version, 2.99€),
This is a great software, easy navigation and features, many, many skins for the people that like that. (I got a nice "metal" skin, simple and clean)
It scans through my 3000 songs in a few seconds, so no hassle. Album art etc are nicely presented.

The EQ allows for tuning to your own taste, it allows for small changes and tuning to the headset, music or your personal liking.
There are also quite a number of preset EQ settings, something i found usefull to quick-check results and for testing settings, a reset button brings it all back.
Or, with the EQ on/off button, leave the settings but disable/enable the EQ.
Once tuned as you prefer the EQ profiles can be saved for later reuse and you can create a EQ for every headset/situation.
It is also possible to save the EQ settings to a specific album/song should you wish that.

To sync to music to my Samsung I use iSyncr (payed version, 3.99€),
This software is of high quality, easy to use. It has a PC module and a module for your device.
You can synch over USB and/or over WIFI (and your internal LAN, it finds your PC).
iSyncr can sync the music, playlists, broadcasts, podcats etc from your iTunes lib and from other locations.
You can even sync more then 1 itunes store ... sometimes handy.
iSyncr can sync on a schedule (like every 1 hour) or on manual command.

Stream to Media Devices, I use BubbleUPNP (payed version, 3.49€),
This software allows me to stream to any media device over WIFI. I have a LG Media player that is UPNP and that is connected to my HiFi chain.
Simply select the source, that can be the phone itself, my NAS, my PC with FooBar 2000;
Then set the destination, again my phone, or PC or the LG Media player.
The volume rocker on the phone then controls the volume of the destination player.

Total cost for all this great software: 3.49€ + 3.99€ + 2.99€ .... all bases covered for 10.47€!!

Use with Laptop:
Here again I can listen to all my music in top quality, using any of my headsets.
Same device, same simple installation, plug in to a USB port and I have a high quality DAC and Amp.
On the PC and on my laptop I use the Foobar 2000 software (+ installed ASIO driver).
I can use the same Velcro to stick the E18 to the back of my laptop screen.

Use with my iPod Classic:
Using the FIIO 30pin L-Cable I can use the E18 as AMP for my iPod.
Combining the stack ... you guested it ... using the Velcro!!   :)

To close off ... The new Pioneer DJE-2000 in-ear headphones;
Today, June 23 2014; I just picked-up a pair of DJE-2000's (they are 30 Ohm).

Why did I pick-up these ... because they where the only nice, high quality and high-end in-ear phones they had in the shop.
(I thought of purchasing the Shure SE535, but no shop had them ... maybe I'll get them later .... any input on that?)

Construction:
Well build, solid. The drivers are a bit big for my ears, on the left side the housing touches my ear (when worn over the ear).
(after 30min ... i changed to waring them to simply down .... that was more comfortable for me)

The right driver is colored a strong red. I can imagine that this is for bad light conditions (seen directed at DJ's).

The cable is of great quality. Braided material. Soft and very flexible.
There is also a hold-back sliding block on the cable to secure it behind your head (over-ear), or avoid cable mess.
Also, no feedback at all when you move the cable, even when vigorously hitting, tapping the cable.
The cable is detachable.

Contents of packaging:
Clean and nicely make packaging. Easy to open without ripping paper of whatever.

- 6mm Jack converter with threading.
- Number of silicon and foam tips (3 of each) in a little plastic bag ... so they are all deformed when you take them out.
  The foam tipped ones have small filters in them.
- Small brush for cleaning.
- Hard carrying case in rubberized / fake leather material, closed with a zipper. Case feels very solid, about the size of a hand palm (without the fingers).

Sound for the DJE-2000's:
As I'm looking for a correct and 'perfect' sound these have to much bass, the highs are a bit muted.
I use them in combination with my S5 + PowerAmp Pro + E18, I used the EQ in PowerAmp to tune out the heavy bass.
Tuned 31, 62, 125 Hz lower, 4K, 8K, 16K higher ... that makes them almost flat (i think, also seen the graph posted above).

Once tuned in, i found it is very nice sound, even great! Very Detailed.
You can hear vibrations in detail (ex with cello, alt violin), you can hear the striker landing on the strings.
On a bit of volume Hilary Hahn sounded out of this world... fantastic.
The stronger, punchy bass makes that you can listen at low volumes and not miss the lows.

They require a bit of push to get them loud (I have them on High Gain on the FIIO E18).
I don't know if a regular phone would get enough volume for all users.

Music used to listen and evaluate:
Anne Bisson; Blue Mind
Passenger; All the little lights
Simon & Garfunkel; Greatest Hits
Piano Guys; Hits Vol. 1

Red Army Choir; Russian Favorites

Vivaldi; Le Quattro Stagioni (Claudio Abbado)
Keith Jarrett; The Köln Concert
Hilary Hahn; Bach Partitas for Solo Violin
Alf Linder; Cantate Domino (from propius)

Armin Van Buuren; A State of Trance 2014
Milk Inc; The Best Of

That is all ...
(if you have feedback, also on the Shure SE535 or other suggestions for a good in-ear pair .... please let me know)

Jun 29, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #5,016 of 9,526
  Hi all,

(I'm not an audiophile but I'm looking to build up ....)

Kit, so you know where I come from:
   Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro 250 Ohm
   AKG K551 38 Ohm
   Pioneer DJE-2000 in-ear's

iPod Classic 160GB

FIIO E18 Amp/DAC for Android, PC and Mac (in combination with Samsung Galaxy 5S) + 30pin L-Cable for my iPod
   (I use the FIIO E18 as USB OTG DAC + Amp on the Samsung S5)

In my PC, ASUS Xonar Xence (can drive up to 600 Ohm without problem)
   Logitec Z5500 Speakers via SPDIF

We all know about the iDevice music scene, for Android we get a bit less news I have the impression.
Hence my write-up ...

My Android Setup, in detail:
         - Samsung Galaxy S5
         - 128 GB microSD
         - FIIO E18 (via USB OTG, DAC + AMP)
         - PowerAmp Pro app for listening
         - iSyncr (bought full version), this has a PC and Android part/module.
         - iTunes + other + Loss-less CD conversions + FLAC Downloads

The FIIO E18 in different combinations:
Great device, bought through Amazon.

Use with Galaxy S5:
I attached the E18 to my Galaxy using Velcro. I tried the rubber bands, but they hinder the usage of the large screen.
The Velcro also allows me the quickly put together my small stack and disassemble it when needed.
The E18 is connected with the USB OTG cables that came with the device (2 cables in the package).

I find the sound very clear, no parasites from the phone.
A very neutral sound, and very nice amp. The E18 drivers all my headsets with pleasure, from the 250 Ohm Beyerdynamic to the 38 Ohm AKG K551.

The E18 has a great battery life. Not once i had to recharge during the day. Easily runs for 2 or even 3 working days for me.
Aside from being a nice compact Amp/DAC I can also use the E18 to recharge my Samsung should the need arise.

For playback I use PowerAmp Pro (payed version, 2.99€),
This is a great software, easy navigation and features, many, many skins for the people that like that. (I got a nice "metal" skin, simple and clean)
It scans through my 3000 songs in a few seconds, so no hassle. Album art etc are nicely presented.

The EQ allows for tuning to your own taste, it allows for small changes and tuning to the headset, music or your personal liking.
There are also quite a number of preset EQ settings, something i found usefull to quick-check results and for testing settings, a reset button brings it all back.
Or, with the EQ on/off button, leave the settings but disable/enable the EQ.
Once tuned as you prefer the EQ profiles can be saved for later reuse and you can create a EQ for every headset/situation.
It is also possible to save the EQ settings to a specific album/song should you wish that.

To sync to music to my Samsung I use iSyncr (payed version, 3.99€),
This software is of high quality, easy to use. It has a PC module and a module for your device.
You can synch over USB and/or over WIFI (and your internal LAN, it finds your PC).
iSyncr can sync the music, playlists, broadcasts, podcats etc from your iTunes lib and from other locations.
You can even sync more then 1 itunes store ... sometimes handy.
iSyncr can sync on a schedule (like every 1 hour) or on manual command.

Stream to Media Devices, I use BubbleUPNP (payed version, 3.49€),
This software allows me to stream to any media device over WIFI. I have a LG Media player that is UPNP and that is connected to my HiFi chain.
Simply select the source, that can be the phone itself, my NAS, my PC with FooBar 2000;
Then set the destination, again my phone, or PC or the LG Media player.
The volume rocker on the phone then controls the volume of the destination player.

Total cost for all this great software: 3.49€ + 3.99€ + 2.99€ .... all bases covered for 10.47€!!

Use with Laptop:
Here again I can listen to all my music in top quality, using any of my headsets.
Same device, same simple installation, plug in to a USB port and I have a high quality DAC and Amp.
On the PC and on my laptop I use the Foobar 2000 software (+ installed ASIO driver).
I can use the same Velcro to stick the E18 to the back of my laptop screen.

Use with my iPod Classic:
Using the FIIO 30pin L-Cable I can use the E18 as AMP for my iPod.
Combining the stack ... you guested it ... using the Velcro!!   :)

To close off ... The new Pioneer DJE-2000 in-ear headphones;
Today, June 23 2014; I just picked-up a pair of DJE-2000's (they are 30 Ohm).

Why did I pick-up these ... because they where the only nice, high quality and high-end in-ear phones they had in the shop.
(I thought of purchasing the Shure SE535, but no shop had them ... maybe I'll get them later .... any input on that?)

Construction:
Well build, solid. The drivers are a bit big for my ears, on the left side the housing touches my ear (when worn over the ear).
(after 30min ... i changed to waring them to simply down .... that was more comfortable for me)

The right driver is colored a strong red. I can imagine that this is for bad light conditions (seen directed at DJ's).

The cable is of great quality. Braided material. Soft and very flexible.
There is also a hold-back sliding block on the cable to secure it behind your head (over-ear), or avoid cable mess.
Also, no feedback at all when you move the cable, even when vigorously hitting, tapping the cable.
The cable is detachable.

Contents of packaging:
Clean and nicely make packaging. Easy to open without ripping paper of whatever.

- 6mm Jack converter with threading.
- Number of silicon and foam tips (3 of each) in a little plastic bag ... so they are all deformed when you take them out.
  The foam tipped ones have small filters in them.
- Small brush for cleaning.
- Hard carrying case in rubberized / fake leather material, closed with a zipper. Case feels very solid, about the size of a hand palm (without the fingers).

Sound for the DJE-2000's:
As I'm looking for a correct and 'perfect' sound these have to much bass, the highs are a bit muted.
I use them in combination with my S5 + PowerAmp Pro + E18, I used the EQ in PowerAmp to tune out the heavy bass.
Tuned 31, 62, 125 Hz lower, 4K, 8K, 16K higher ... that makes them almost flat (i think, also seen the graph posted above).

Once tuned in, i found it is very nice sound, even great! Very Detailed.
You can hear vibrations in detail (ex with cello, alt violin), you can hear the striker landing on the strings.
On a bit of volume Hilary Hahn sounded out of this world... fantastic.
The stronger, punchy bass makes that you can listen at low volumes and not miss the lows.

They require a bit of push to get them loud (I have them on High Gain on the FIIO E18).
I don't know if a regular phone would get enough volume for all users.

Music used to listen and evaluate:
Anne Bisson; Blue Mind
Passenger; All the little lights
Simon & Garfunkel; Greatest Hits
Piano Guys; Hits Vol. 1

Red Army Choir; Russian Favorites

Vivaldi; Le Quattro Stagioni (Claudio Abbado)
Keith Jarrett; The Köln Concert
Hilary Hahn; Bach Partitas for Solo Violin
Alf Linder; Cantate Domino (from propius)

Armin Van Buuren; A State of Trance 2014
Milk Inc; The Best Of

That is all ...
(if you have feedback, also on the Shure SE535 or other suggestions for a good in-ear pair .... please let me know)

The Shure 535 are nice. I own a pair. They are more the sound character of Sennhieser headphones though. They are slow earbuds (similar to hd650) but warm and natural sounding. They aren't as detailed nor do they have the same impact as the HD650 but they are still very nice and have a similar sound character generally. I have owned the Beyer headphones you own now and really didn't like them at all for the very wide and analytical soundstage they have. I have also owned fiio amps before and didn't like them at all. They sound cheap and mediocre to me. I listened to the fiio amps I purchased and pretty much returned them immediately. Pretty dire stuff to me. I currently own an HRT Microstreamer which I use with my HTC M8 and I think it sounds great. I'm happy with the setup I have now, which is an HTC M8 (64 gb sd) > HRT microstreamer > SE535.

Jun 30, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #5,017 of 9,526

The Shure 535 are nice. I own a pair. They are more the sound character of Sennhieser headphones though. They are slow earbuds (similar to hd650) but warm and natural sounding. They aren't as detailed nor do they have the same impact as the HD650 but they are still very nice and have a similar sound character generally. I have owned the Beyer headphones you own now and really didn't like them at all for the very wide and analytical soundstage they have. I have also owned fiio amps before and didn't like them at all. They sound cheap and mediocre to me. I listened to the fiio amps I purchased and pretty much returned them immediately. Pretty dire stuff to me. I currently own an HRT Microstreamer which I use with my HTC M8 and I think it sounds great. I'm happy with the setup I have now, which is an HTC M8 (64 gb sd) > HRT microstreamer > SE535.

Hi Rob,

Thank you for the input. Still considering the Shure's very much.

As to play audio, I'm tuning a page I think, I'll go with a dedicated player like the X5, HifiMan MH700, MH901, Astell&Kern AK100 II / 120 combined with a good pair of listening devices in-ear or on-ear (like Bayerdynamic DT1350 or the T51p).

I found it not practical to combine with my phone as I need that a lot for my work.

Have a great listen today!   :)

Jun 30, 2014 at 8:01 AM Post #5,018 of 9,526
  Hello,

I tested Android L with my DAC FiiO E7 and i have a noisy sound. It's not working flawlessly but I hope this will be enhanced in the next releases.

What is your Android device having interworking issue with the FiiO E7?

I would like to create a list of Android devices / USB DAC which are currently not working with the native USB audio feature of Android L, so that the Android Audio team can hopefully fix interworking issues.
https://code.google.com/p/high-performance-audio/
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/5010#post_10669282

Thanks!

Jun 30, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #5,019 of 9,526
Jul 1, 2014 at 1:40 AM Post #5,020 of 9,526
With the new android version l I finally got my Audioquest Dragonfly to work
smily_headphones1.gif
However there is only one volume available which is a little too loud for me. It is either that our no volume. In other words the volume slider does not work

I've got an Audioquest Dragonfly and would love to use it with my Nexus 5 that's running L. What exactly do I need to get this working? I know I need a USB OTG cable, does any otg cable like this one work? I was also wondering if I'm going to need a portable amp with it or if the Dragonfly will be enough.

Jul 1, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #5,021 of 9,526
What's interesting with Geek Out (like Dragonfly) is that it has indicator lights.

When playing with Neutron, Poweramp, BS Player indicator lights are always 48K, unlike UAPP it reflects the sample rate correctly.

Does these mean Neutron, Poweramp, BS Player (or other players) outputs only at 48K regardless what is the source's sample rate??
Or a problem of software/hardware integration?

Just an info:

Davy has a Geek Out 450 also for testing.

I use Korg's Audiogate to convert DSF (and other files) to DFF.

Using Samsung Note 3 on stock Android 4.4.2 

Quote:
  I don't have a DSD-capable USB DAC; and Davy, the developer of UAPP, is being on holidays.

Davy told me that his DSD-capable USB DAC is an iFi nano iDSD and his DFF files are from 2L.

M-i-c-k-e-y has a DSD-capable LH Labs Geek Out and his DFF files are also from 2L.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/4965#post_10660323

Jul 1, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #5,022 of 9,526
Can I use the new iDSD DAC from iFi with my HTC One (8)? My Dragonfly works with it if I use USB AP Pro. Do I need some sort of an android driver with the iDSD??

As an aside that silly cheap DAC sounds great on my J-River running laptop.

Jul 1, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #5,023 of 9,526
  Can I use the new iDSD DAC from iFi with my HTC One (8)? My Dragonfly works with it if I use USB AP Pro. Do I need some sort of an android driver with the iDSD??

As an aside that silly cheap DAC sounds great on my J-River running laptop.

Straight from their website: http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/nano-idsd/

The latest advancements in Smart Devices such as iPhone/iPad/Android has transformed them from a mobile phone to a portable, high-end Computer Audio Source*. These Smart Devices are able to natively encode and transmit high-res PCM/DSD/DXD audio. As the iDSD is able to natively decode the same, this high-end ‘Transport+DAC’ combination offers astounding sonics yet is all just palm-sized and able to be enjoyed on the move as well as at home.

Below are some screenshots taken with iPhone 4S with Onkyo HF Player > Camera Connection Kit > iDSD. As you can see, each high-resolution format is beng replayed, even DSD on 5.6MHz (the iDSD actually plays all the way up to 6.2MHz!).

*With the relevant software and connection cables (such as Onkyo HF Player and Camera Connection Kit). Please contact your phone manufacturer or iFi for more details.

Jul 1, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #5,025 of 9,526
Does anyone know if you can use your android phone (note 3) paired with an astel and kern player, specially the new AK120 ii?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back