Android phones and USB DACs
Dec 1, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #3,572 of 9,526
ExStream, some feature requests for UAPP. Really UAPP in general, will eventually be asked to include every single feature that dozens of audio play apps already have. Unfortunate that many phone and DAC manufacturers are not on board with USB OTG, but then again, their willful ignorance is the reason there is a UAPP. So those features I'd want are mostly...

- See all 50,000 of my music tracks on my NAS over DLNA
- Play them randomly
- And support playlists

Beyond that, it would be great if UAPP worked internally in floating point like Neutron does. 

And talked to Spotify etc...

Dec 2, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #3,573 of 9,526
DanBa, do you want to list phones/DACs that are reported to NOT work. e.g. "Report of Anedio D1 (and D2) not able to output USB OTG audio".  Also do you want to report e.g. "Nexus 5 works with CM 11". CM is CyanogenMod, the most popular Android ROM for rooted devices. Some would prefer to root, then install CM11, and have kernel support so that all software can output via USB OTG, than install UARP or UAPP but be limited to that one single audio app. 

Dec 2, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #3,574 of 9,526
  DanBa, do you want to list phones/DACs that are reported to NOT work. e.g. "Report of Anedio D1 (and D2) not able to output USB OTG audio".  Also do you want to report e.g. "Nexus 5 works with CM 11". CM is CyanogenMod, the most popular Android ROM for rooted devices. Some would prefer to root, then install CM11, and have kernel support so that all software can output via USB OTG, than install UARP or UAPP but be limited to that one single audio app. 

All the CM11 ROMs for the Nexus 5 are unofficial ports right now. Every AOSP rom I've tried that adds features is buggy atm. Give it time.

I had a Nexus 4, so it is nice having USB OTG working on the 5 without needing separate power.

Dec 2, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #3,575 of 9,526
  Tonido doesn't detect any files on my phone. Do I need to create an account and connect with my PC for it to work?

What I did was install Tonido to my PC and set that up (and it gives you a URL to put into your app and you also create an account), and then you install Tonido app and put your URL and account info in and go.

Dec 2, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #3,576 of 9,526

I'm the king of trying custom roms/kernels with my devices to get USB Audio, but even I think that list could get messy if it is reporting anything other than pure stock and UARP/UAPP.

I hate UARP for our purpose and unless UAPP will provide some kind of network access to my entire FLAC collection, I probably won't use it either.  So I'm with you, but for you, you should search here and also research on xda forums to find kernel/rom combos that work for your device.  If you've seen my posts as of late, you know that Steve Kondik is suggesting that CM11 will provide USB Audio support to most devices without the need for UARP/UAPP.

If you already have your phone rooted and bootloader unlocked and want to accept the risks of flashing (As I do), and your device has an unofficial CM11 rom, try it and report back please.  I've already reported USB Audio working with unofficial CM11 roms, subject to caveats of my posts.  It continues to work for Nexus 5 (but if you unplug, plugging back in gets you nothing and you need to reboot).  I can also report it works for Nexus 10 with unofficial CM11, but not all dacs.  I think on Nexus 10, they need to have their own power.  On Nexus 10 with unofficial CM11, my Fiio E07k worked perfectly.  My hifimediy sabre did not work on Nexus 10 at all.

If you want to wait for some kind of official CM11 rom directly from the CM guys, that should be coming fairly soon (couple of weeks?).  And as I posted before, there is a Google+ post that you can comment on from Steve Kondik (and he replies!) where you can discuss with him CM's support of USB Audio.  He's one of the founders of CM and he's into USB Audio (on that Google+ post, he showed a pic of him using CM10.2 on his phone using a PICO USB dac/amp.

Dec 2, 2013 at 1:42 AM Post #3,577 of 9,526

I'm the king of trying custom roms/kernels with my devices to get USB Audio, but even I think that list could get messy if it is reporting anything other than pure stock and UARP/UAPP.

Pappy, in your experience which manufacturers seem to NOT need UARP or CM. It seems like Samsung gets 50% of their phones to support USB OTG audio. But Google is like about 0%. 

Probably most people are like, oh I have this phone, does it work OOTB or do I need an UARP or CM. Some smaller group of people buy the phone on purpose because they figure out ahead of time it supports it OOTB. 

I happen to have a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (good) and a Google Nexus 7(2013) (bad). It sounds like the CM11 roms (are those 4.3 or 4.4?) are not fully cooked yet?

Dec 2, 2013 at 1:51 AM Post #3,578 of 9,526
The CM11 ROMs are still very early alpha builds on pretty much all devices. The Google Nexus devices will likely be more stable / complete than Samsung, HTC etc as the device source is released to AOSP, whereas ROMs for other manufacturer's devices have to be hacked to make work with the hardware, which takes much longer.

People's experience in this thread suggests that there are no manufacturers that reliably support the majority of USB audio devices consistently. Even different versions of the same device (eg Galaxy SIII Qualcomm vs Galaxy SIII Exynox) differ in their USB device support.

I'm currently holding out on buying a new phone because confirmed USB audio support is pretty much the killer feature for me. I'm hoping the progress continues with CM11 on the Nexus 5, and that will be the next phone I buy.

Btw I had USB audio (FiiO E07K) working perfectly with a gen 1 Nexus 7. It required a custom kernel and a small patch that I found on xda-devs, but it worked with any CM10.x based ROM.

Dec 2, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #3,579 of 9,526
I installed cm-11-20131125.0619-SKANK-jflteatt.zip on my AT&T GS4 (SGH-i337) ... and USB AUDIO WORKS FLAWLESSLY.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2385360

THANK YOU, Steve Kondik!!!!!!

KitKat is running great. <3

Going to experiment more using BSPlayer or Neutron to play music over a SMB share. Any comments on favorite approaches here?

Dec 2, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #3,581 of 9,526
Erik,

You need to mount the share first, if you go with this method. I've used CifsManager to good effect before, but for whatever reason, it's not wanting to mount my shares today [on this rom?].

(Btw, Solid Explorer is my dreamy file manager of choice.)

Dec 2, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #3,582 of 9,526

Pappy, in your experience which manufacturers seem to NOT need UARP or CM. It seems like Samsung gets 50% of their phones to support USB OTG audio. But Google is like about 0%. 

Probably most people are like, oh I have this phone, does it work OOTB or do I need an UARP or CM. Some smaller group of people buy the phone on purpose because they figure out ahead of time it supports it OOTB. 

I happen to have a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (good) and a Google Nexus 7(2013) (bad). It sounds like the CM11 roms (are those 4.3 or 4.4?) are not fully cooked yet?

I agree with another poster, that you can't say one manufacturer is better about it.  Phones even varied by version, like when I had a Verizon Samsung Galaxy note 2, I still don't know anyone getting USB Audio without UARP from that specific model, that device really drove me nuts.

CM 11 = Android 4.4.  It is still unofficial and you should keep that in mind. If you are already rooted and bootloader unlocked on your devices and want to experiment, go ahead, and while I've had no problems with CM11 on Nexus 5, I can't speak to other devices and for any device they are not technically stable, although I am finding them quite stable.

If you don't know what you are doing, I wouldn't suggest rooting/unlocking and slapping on these custom roms/kernels at this point.  If you are in that boat, wait for official CM11.

Dec 2, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #3,584 of 9,526
  Does an SD Card for the Galaxy Note 3 have to be formatted "fat32" to work with the Fiio E18 (or other external DAC/Amps)?

No.

Dec 2, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #3,585 of 9,526

DanBa, I don't understand why you have separate sections on your list for
DACs that work with Note 2
DACs that work with Note 3
DACs that work with S 3 
DACs that work with S4

Isn't it the case that if a DAC is with the USB OTG program, that it 99% should work across all those phones. Are there really many or any cases of "this DAC works with the Note 2 but not with the S4"? 

Also, you could put the data into a shared publicly accessible document on Google Drive. Also what I've seen here is people put the information in the first post, then re-edit the first post, rather than post a giant new post every 5 pages. 

Anyway, your call, its great what you do.

Summarizing, here is my understanding of the big picture. A device either has the right hardware to support USB OTG or it doesn’t. If it does, it still needs the right software (drivers on Android) or firmware (USB ID codes on the DAC) for USB OTG audio to work. Now, when we see how 80% of the devices “work but only with UARP software” this in fact means that the manufacturer is saying “I accidentally ended up with the right hardware (USB transceiver chip) for USB OTG, but I can’t be arsed to make a few simple software changes”. And UARP has made an entire industry out of this willful ignorance of most manufacturers. I have communicated with CEentrance, Anedio, and Audio-gd and they really can’t be bothered. With Audio-gd I was like “I have $2000 here in my pocket, tell me which of your DACs talk USB OTG” and Kingwa there couldn’t be bothered to buy a $3 cable or figure out how to make one. I guess it all boils down to the Russian saying каждый дрочит, как он хочет "every man jerks off the way he wants".

Think Android tablet. (You can also now do something similar with with Apple if you have iOS 7 
http://www.leckertonaudio.com/blog/2013/11/5/new-use-your-iphone-as-a-digital-audio-source). Desktop DAC manufacturers seem to be asleep (comatose?) at the switch. They didn't get the memo that the desktop is dying, and that everyone is using tablets and smartphones now. That said, thanks to this forum, this thread, and our hard work, there are now actually a tiny handful of manufacturers who "get it". And they get, my dollar votes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back