1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Android phones and USB DACs

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by nztechfreak, Feb 9, 2012.
First

Back
615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624
  1. m-i-c-k-e-y
    Decided last night to have the Onkyo HF Player a listen again.

Many years ago I dropped it in my list because it can't access my microSD and can't access DSD256. But has a nice a feature, it can upsample upto DSD128.

Since my current portable DAC can do only DSD128 so I had it a go.

Long story short...Hey its very good! Since my DAC can go only DSD128 as I said, it perfect.

So my portable DAC/Amp is recognized:

[​IMG]

An finally the microSD card is recognized (could configure network drives too at setup)

[​IMG]

Configuring DoP and upsampling everything to DSD128

[​IMG]

Here are examples a 24/96 Flac and a DXD file upsampled to DSD128

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Doing a native DSD128 file

[​IMG]

DSD256 and DSD512 files are downsampled automatically to DSD128.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Tried the app on my Geek Pulse Infinity that does DSD256. It too downsampled/outputs everything to DSD128. The drawback of this app.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  2. rubenesque
    Hello Forum;

My new Samsung 10+ with Android 9 is not sending any data to my ifi xDSD dac while using UAPP.
    I have re-installed UAPP twice, bought new OTG cable, etc.

xDSD sees the connection as the LED turns white, but UAPP thinks no DAC is connected.
    I used to turn on the xDSD and Android will see it and suggest UAPP as the app.
    I am thinking some android services are not running after the last months update, but I would not know which ones they are.

Can anyone point me to the right post / forum for this issue?

Many thanks in advance.

3. m-i-c-k-e-y
  4. Pott
    Question from a phone audio n00b here.

For a long time, I've been using Spotify -> DragonFly Red as my mobile rig. Phone is a Pixel 3a though that's not relevant with the DragonFly replacing both DAC and amp (in theory...).

Why no lossless?
    * I have no lossless file
    * While I can occasionally tell a difference, I think, I've never done an A/B/C blind test on lossless quality and I'm perfectly fine with high-quality MP3s (I use the highest quality on Spotify at all times)
    * I listen mostly to Death and Black Metal, genres not known for flawless productions!

My headphones are currently Etys ER4 XRs, Noble K10s, and occasionally the Campfire Audio Atlas (which are BRUTAL to my ears... I am not a basshead... but they are fun).

This thread is full of talk for modifying Android to output better quality audio for lossless files.
    Is Spotify well-enough integrated with Android that I needn't worry much about it?

Another question... in the office I have a Topping D50 -> Massdrop THX AAA789 setup. The K10s have a balanced cable. It's my very first time with a balanced rig. I was quite surprised, I COULD hear the difference. Perhaps it's just louder, but to me it all felt deeper too.
    Are there any decent small-ish, balanced portable DAC + amps out there that'd do a similar trick? (not expecting the same quality out of a much smaller rig, of course, but I'd like to see if there are some trustworthy balanced DAC/Amps for mobile as well).

Thanks all!

5. m-i-c-k-e-y
    Why not test it for yourself?

I use this test bed for ages for comparing files: http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html?

Since most of their materials are recorded in DXD, convert files in the column: Stereo 24BIT/352.8kHz to MP3's highest format (320Kbps CBR HQ 48khz) and compare.

Use HibyMusic (free), UAPP, Neutron MP, Onkyo Music as app. As they bypass ASL (Android Sound Layer limits bit depth and sample rates to 24/192) and send music directly to your DAC/Amp.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    MikeyFresh likes this.
  6. kostaszag
    I have been using a Dragonfly Black with my P20 for almost 6 months. No problem so far. it works with all apps you can think off-UAPP, google play, youtube, HiBy, Huawei"s own Music App, you name it. I also tried it on a Desktop DAC, LHlabs Geek Pulse, and it worked too. Oh, and no one has stolen my ID so far, fingers crossed...

First

Back
615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624