Android phones and USB DACs
Nov 17, 2019 at 4:31 PM Post #9,361 of 9,526
No I don't, however it is very safe to say that UAPP has been the de facto standard for bit perfect Android audio over USB for many years now, but other apps such as the ones @m-i-c-k-e-y listed for you are also good, and I'd add Onkyo HF Player to that list.

Decided last night to have the Onkyo HF Player a listen again.

Many years ago I dropped it in my list because it can't access my microSD and can't access DSD256. But has a nice a feature, it can upsample upto DSD128.

Since my current portable DAC can do only DSD128 so I had it a go.

Long story short...Hey its very good! Since my DAC can go only DSD128 as I said, it perfect.

So my portable DAC/Amp is recognized:

X1nqx36l.png

An finally the microSD card is recognized (could configure network drives too at setup)

3RDtx4Al.png

Configuring DoP and upsampling everything to DSD128

SpVMQGjl.png

Here are examples a 24/96 Flac and a DXD file upsampled to DSD128

PwHTdWjl.png
10foCW1l.png

Doing a native DSD128 file

H9dQ23Xl.png

DSD256 and DSD512 files are downsampled automatically to DSD128.

Gnvuj0Il.png
TimGxNPl.png

Tried the app on my Geek Pulse Infinity that does DSD256. It too downsampled/outputs everything to DSD128. The drawback of this app.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2019 at 5:50 PM Post #9,362 of 9,526
Hello Forum;

My new Samsung 10+ with Android 9 is not sending any data to my ifi xDSD dac while using UAPP.
I have re-installed UAPP twice, bought new OTG cable, etc.

xDSD sees the connection as the LED turns white, but UAPP thinks no DAC is connected.
I used to turn on the xDSD and Android will see it and suggest UAPP as the app.
I am thinking some android services are not running after the last months update, but I would not know which ones they are.

Can anyone point me to the right post / forum for this issue?

Many thanks in advance.

Nov 21, 2019 at 7:11 PM Post #9,363 of 9,526
Nov 21, 2019 at 7:34 PM Post #9,364 of 9,526
Question from a phone audio n00b here.

For a long time, I've been using Spotify -> DragonFly Red as my mobile rig. Phone is a Pixel 3a though that's not relevant with the DragonFly replacing both DAC and amp (in theory...).

Why no lossless?
* I have no lossless file
* While I can occasionally tell a difference, I think, I've never done an A/B/C blind test on lossless quality and I'm perfectly fine with high-quality MP3s (I use the highest quality on Spotify at all times)
* I listen mostly to Death and Black Metal, genres not known for flawless productions!

My headphones are currently Etys ER4 XRs, Noble K10s, and occasionally the Campfire Audio Atlas (which are BRUTAL to my ears... I am not a basshead... but they are fun).

This thread is full of talk for modifying Android to output better quality audio for lossless files.
Is Spotify well-enough integrated with Android that I needn't worry much about it?

Another question... in the office I have a Topping D50 -> Massdrop THX AAA789 setup. The K10s have a balanced cable. It's my very first time with a balanced rig. I was quite surprised, I COULD hear the difference. Perhaps it's just louder, but to me it all felt deeper too.
Are there any decent small-ish, balanced portable DAC + amps out there that'd do a similar trick? (not expecting the same quality out of a much smaller rig, of course, but I'd like to see if there are some trustworthy balanced DAC/Amps for mobile as well).

Thanks all!

Nov 22, 2019 at 1:16 AM Post #9,365 of 9,526
Why not test it for yourself?

I use this test bed for ages for comparing files: http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html?

Since most of their materials are recorded in DXD, convert files in the column: Stereo 24BIT/352.8kHz to MP3's highest format (320Kbps CBR HQ 48khz) and compare.

Use HibyMusic (free), UAPP, Neutron MP, Onkyo Music as app. As they bypass ASL (Android Sound Layer limits bit depth and sample rates to 24/192) and send music directly to your DAC/Amp.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2019 at 9:20 AM Post #9,366 of 9,526
Hi all,

Have a huawei p30 (non pro model with HP jack), just curious if anybody has got any feedback on dacs which work with the p30 (UK model) especially interested in dongle type ones like the DF red for example

Cheers

I have been using a Dragonfly Black with my P20 for almost 6 months. No problem so far. it works with all apps you can think off-UAPP, google play, youtube, HiBy, Huawei"s own Music App, you name it. I also tried it on a Desktop DAC, LHlabs Geek Pulse, and it worked too. Oh, and no one has stolen my ID so far, fingers crossed...

Dec 15, 2019 at 6:59 PM Post #9,367 of 9,526
Hi, I will get my new Redmi Note 8 Pro soon. Anybody here with that phone using it with a portable DAC/amp? I used my old Nokia N8 with a FiiO E7 with good results. My E07K won't work anymore with the good ole N8. The new Note 8 Pro has OTG so it should work but I'm still a bit underwhelmed by Android. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Dec 23, 2019 at 7:10 PM Post #9,368 of 9,526
Hello Forum;

My new Samsung 10+ with Android 9 is not sending any data to my ifi xDSD dac while using UAPP.
I have re-installed UAPP twice, bought new OTG cable, etc.

xDSD sees the connection as the LED turns white, but UAPP thinks no DAC is connected.
I used to turn on the xDSD and Android will see it and suggest UAPP as the app.
I am thinking some android services are not running after the last months update, but I would not know which ones they are.

Can anyone point me to the right post / forum for this issue?

Many thanks in advance.
The s10 has problems whit usb dac you need a working otg cable

Feb 2, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #9,369 of 9,526
Just a question... was thinking about picking up an Audioquest Dragonfly Cobalt to Use with my Oneplus 7t smartphone for times when I don't want to bring my Fiio M11Pro on my commute. So far using the Fiio M11Pro as a USB dac/amp with that phone only stays at one of the lower settings ( with bluetooth... it uses ldac quality priority )... when I tried the same thing with the mac it goes to the highest setting the mac has. Am I to understand that UAPP will basically "unlock" the oneplus 7t's restrictions it puts on the usb c port?... If it does not then there is no point picking up the cobalt.

( have already tried all the developer options and debugging and otg setting nonsense... my m11pro as usb dac on the mac works with no issues at all )

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #9,370 of 9,526
Just a question... was thinking about picking up an Audioquest Dragonfly Cobalt to Use with my Oneplus 7t smartphone for times when I don't want to bring my Fiio M11Pro on my commute. So far using the Fiio M11Pro as a USB dac/amp with that phone only stays at one of the lower settings ( with bluetooth... it uses ldac quality priority )... when I tried the same thing with the mac it goes to the highest setting the mac has. Am I to understand that UAPP will basically "unlock" the oneplus 7t's restrictions it puts on the usb c port?... If it does not then there is no point picking up the cobalt.

( have already tried all the developer options and debugging and otg setting nonsense... my m11pro as usb dac on the mac works with no issues at all )
Android sample rate conversion forces bit rate and sample rate on your external DAC, regardless of file sample sent. With UAPP, files are able to be sent bit-perfect to the DAC. Same with streaming services via UAPP. No stored media from streaming services can be played on UAPP, though.

Apr 29, 2020 at 8:05 PM Post #9,371 of 9,526
Hi,

Sorry to interrupt. I have a Redmi Note 8 Pro with MIUI 11 Android installed and some FiiO DAC/amps I would like to use with it. They worked perfectly with my old Nokia N8 which had come with a USB2GO adapter cable.

Does the Note 8 Pro support USB2GO? If so what cable would work, it's USB C to mini USB?

Could I also use a USB drive with the Note 8 Pro? Thanks for your help.

Apr 29, 2020 at 9:57 PM Post #9,373 of 9,526
It's called USB OTG (on-the-go), and yes the Redmi Note 8 Pro supports it.

It must be a USB OTG cable, which exact one would depend on what port type your FiiO device has. I don't think it is Mini, probably Type C to Micro USB, but if you own this FiiO device then why not check it yourself?

Yes, but that is of course a different OTG cable, it would need a Type A female port to accommodate a typical pen drive, or buy a pen drive that is listed as OTG capable and already has a Type C plug on it, for example this one.

Thanks Mikey for the quick response. My old FiiOs have a mini USB connector and I already ordered an adapter cable on AliExpress. It's less than a dollar so I'll see if it's OTG or not. Looking for a real short one later with angled plugs as I like the FiiOs because they have great Wolfson DACs. Apparently some of the newer FiiOs won't work with some Android phones anymore.

Cheers!

Apr 29, 2020 at 10:36 PM Post #9,374 of 9,526
Thanks Mikey for the quick response. My old FiiOs have a mini USB connector and I already ordered an adapter cable on AliExpress. It's less than a dollar so I'll see if it's OTG or not. Looking for a real short one later with angled plugs as I like the FiiOs because they have great Wolfson DACs. Apparently some of the newer FiiOs won't work with some Android phones anymore.

Cheers!
If the listing says it's OTG it likely will be, as that cable type is common to certain Canon cameras, you can download the pictures on the camera directly to a phone or tablet without having to remove the SD card. Very handy for a photographer out in the field, they don't need to lug a laptop or juggle different SD cards.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2020 at 12:48 AM Post #9,375 of 9,526
If the listing says it's OTG it likely will be, as that cable type is common to certain Canon cameras, you can download the pictures on the camera directly to a phone or tablet without having to remove the SD card. Very handy for a photographer out in the field, they don't need to lug a laptop or juggle different SD cards.
I already found a great cheap product, it is OTG, 2 for the price of one plus I can use all the sticks I already have. >I will look on AliExpress for a short USB C to male mini USB OTG adapter.

Screenshot_2020-04-30-12-41-55-302_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back