Android phones and USB DACs
Nov 15, 2017 at 4:46 AM Post #9,106 of 9,526
What root kit did you use? I have the same phone (S5 Neo) and getting no sound from my dragonfly through my OTG cable. The device recognises something has been plugged in, the dragonfly lights up, and it stops playing music from the internal speaker. But no sound through the headphones. I tried the USB host check, says that android.hardware.usb.host.xml is ok, the other two options have red Xs.
Press the fix button in usb host check and restart the phone.

Nov 15, 2017 at 9:39 AM Post #9,108 of 9,526
It's been a while since I used my Dragonfly, but doesn't it have some software controlled volume setting? I vaguely remember having a similar issue after using my Dragonfly on a computer, and after that, no sound when using it on my phone. Had to connect it on the computer again, change the volume there and after that it was ok again on my phone. But I'm not really sure, it was a long time ago, have hardly touched my Dragonfly (v1.2) since I got my AK70.

Thanks for the advice - good troubleshooting step, unfortunately it didn't seem to work. I raised the volume on the dragonfly from my PC to almost full then reattached to my phone, but no joy. :frowning2:

Nov 15, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #9,109 of 9,526
Unfortunately, it doesn't work. When I press fix it just gives me the message "Could not start su process".
Your phone needs to be rooted for that to work.

Nov 15, 2017 at 9:48 AM Post #9,110 of 9,526
Your phone needs to be rooted for that to work.

What root kit did you use? My phone is over a year old so I'm not worried about the warranty, but I'm still cautious about rooting. I'm in Canada so my provider (Koodo) might have things locked differently than yours but I'd like to try one that seems to work. I'm also totally new to rooting.

Nov 15, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #9,111 of 9,526
What root kit did you use? My phone is over a year old so I'm not worried about the warranty, but I'm still cautious about rooting. I'm in Canada so my provider (Koodo) might have things locked differently than yours but I'd like to try one that seems to work. I'm also totally new to rooting.
ZapryanovROM. It's slimmed down and comes prerooted.

Nov 15, 2017 at 10:27 AM Post #9,112 of 9,526
ZapryanovROM. It's slimmed down and comes prerooted.

Thanks - I'll look into this. Not sure this will work for me as it seems to be region specific.

My steps so far:

My dragonfly 1.5 works great from any PC I attach it to, but won't play via USB through my Samsung S5 Neo phone. I'm using a USB OTG cable and my phone recognises external devices like a mouse or keyboard when I attach them so there is USB communication. When I insert my dragonfly it eventually turns magenta, same as for my PCs. If I'm playing music with the external speakers, they shut off after the OTG USB is plugged in, suggesting it recognises that another audio device is now in charge, but no audio comes from my headphones.

I've tried the following:

Checked for USB connectivity using usb host check - it gives a green checkmark beside android.hardware.usb.host.xml, but red Xs next to the other two options "handheld_core_hardware.xml" and "tablet_core_hardware.xml". when I press "Fix" it tells me "Could not start su process".

As per advice by Coop, I raised the volume on the dragonfly itself on the PC then moving to my phone, but still no audio via USB for any phone sounds or other apps (e.g. spotify app or foobar 2000).

I downloaded hibymusic and was able to play music through the dragonfly from my phone, so the OTG cable certainly works fine.This is great, but it limits listening to hibymusic (which looks like a great program!), and I want to use streaming services like spotify. (On an unrelated note, when using hibymusic the dragonfly was lit green indicating it was sampling at 44.1 kHz, whereas from my PC it was lit magenta so it seems to be upsampling to 96 kHz).

I went into developer settings on my phone and changed the "USB Configuration" from MTP to "Audio Source" - no difference. If I reset my phone after this, it seems to revert back to MTP on it's own, interestingly enough. I also disabled "Absolute Volume Control" in case that was affecting things, but no dice.

It seems that the issue remains that android won't communicate audio through the USB which is very frustrating as this doesn't seem to be an issue for other with the same phone model. I'm running android 7.0 nougat. I'm going to look into rooting and trying to fix the connection via usb host check to see if that helps but I'd prefer a non-rooted solution.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #9,113 of 9,526
quick question, i have a oneplus3 and a fiio q1 mk2 usb dac/amo combo..
i wanna know if theres any way that i can get my phone to STOP charging THE DAC while in use? ie us the dac's own battery rather than giving it power?

Nov 15, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #9,114 of 9,526
Thanks - I'll look into this. Not sure this will work for me as it seems to be region specific.

My steps so far:

My dragonfly 1.5 works great from any PC I attach it to, but won't play via USB through my Samsung S5 Neo phone. I'm using a USB OTG cable and my phone recognises external devices like a mouse or keyboard when I attach them so there is USB communication. When I insert my dragonfly it eventually turns magenta, same as for my PCs. If I'm playing music with the external speakers, they shut off after the OTG USB is plugged in, suggesting it recognises that another audio device is now in charge, but no audio comes from my headphones.

Checked for USB connectivity using usb host check - it gives a green checkmark beside android.hardware.usb.host.xml, but red Xs next to the other two options "handheld_core_hardware.xml" and "tablet_core_hardware.xml". when I press "Fix" it tells me "Could not start su process".

As per advice by Coop, I raised the volume on the dragonfly itself on the PC then moving to my phone, but still no audio via USB for any phone sounds or other apps (e.g. spotify app or foobar 2000).

I downloaded hibymusic and was able to play music through the dragonfly from my phone, so the OTG cable certainly works fine.This is great, but it limits listening to hibymusic (which looks like a great program!), and I want to use streaming services like spotify. (On an unrelated note, when using hibymusic the dragonfly was lit green indicating it was sampling at 44.1 kHz, whereas from my PC it was lit magenta so it seems to be upsampling to 96 kHz).

I went into developer settings on my phone and changed the "USB Configuration" from MTP to "Audio Source" - no difference. If I reset my phone after this, it seems to revert back to MTP on it's own, interestingly enough. I also disabled "Absolute Volume Control" in case that was affecting things, but no dice.

It seems that the issue remains that android won't communicate audio through the USB which is very frustrating as this doesn't seem to be an issue for other with the same phone model. I'm running android 7.0 nougat. I'm going to look into rooting and trying to fix the connection via usb host check to see if that helps but I'd prefer a non-rooted solution.
Just make sure you do all the requisite reading before you start the root process. Generally it's very simple.

I usually back up my data, unlock the bootloader, flash a custom recovery, wipe the device and load a pre-rooted ROM via recovery mode. One can also, after flashing a custom recovery, go into recovery mode and flash a superuser zip. (SuperSU being the most common).

Nov 15, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #9,115 of 9,526

My steps so far:

That's not the issue. PM me, let me know which dragonfly you have, and I'll give you a full breakdown of what you need to do to adjust the Dragonfly volume. Problem has been "solved" for months

Nov 15, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #9,116 of 9,526
That's not the issue. PM me, let me know which dragonfly you have, and I'll give you a full breakdown of what you need to do to adjust the Dragonfly volume. Problem has been "solved" for months

The DF simply doesn't appear to work on some Android devices. I have been unable to get it working on the Galaxy A3 and Galaxy Tab (9.7inch). The issue is with the Channel settings whereby both the L&R channels are set to 0 (so no volume) and even on a rooted device I cannot change the setting, I can access the Channels variable but the system will not accept any changes that I try to make. I have tried various permissions settings but still no luck getting it to accept the changes. I had the same issue with a Topping NX2 and the Galaxy S5, I never managed to get that to work either.

Nov 15, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #9,117 of 9,526

My steps so far:

Have you tried using USB Audio Player Pro?

Nov 15, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #9,119 of 9,526
No, but I assume it would be the same as using Hibymusic i.e. it would only work for the player, not for other apps such as spotify or foobar 2000.
Yes but UAPP has built in support for streaming services.

Nov 15, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #9,120 of 9,526
No, but I assume it would be the same as using Hibymusic i.e. it would only work for the player, not for other apps such as spotify or foobar 2000.

No, once you go into UAPP it seems to reset the base volume. If you set volume high in UAPP with Hardware Volume then come out of UAPP it then keeps the volume increase for Tidal/Spotify etc. (well works on S7/S8/Z5 anyway).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back