Android phones and USB DACs
Sep 26, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #3,153 of 9,526
  The Samsung Galaxy R is included in the list of Working Android devices of the USB Audio Recorder PRO site.
http://www.extreamsd.com/USBAudioRecorderPro

That site looks very unfinished, I can´t see any phones mentioned there. Wonder if I´m the only that can't read that site proberly?
Also, I read somewhere that the SGR supports voodoo sound (has Wolfson dac), but on Voodoo sound page doesn't mention the SGR.

Update: "Solved"/weird, I opened the www.estreamsd.com/blablabla which on my pc shows almost nothing but white; I "select all" and copy&pasted to wordpad, and now I can read the text in wordpad..

Sep 27, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #3,155 of 9,526
Here's another data point to add.

stock Samsung Galaxy S3 > digital USB audio out >> USB OTG cable >> Audioengine D1 >> AKG K702.65.  

I have a completely stock non-rooted Telus Galaxy S3 (SGH-i747m, same as AT&T model) running Android 4.1.2.  It works with PowerAmp music player so I don't have to resort to UARP, which I have to use when I want to use my Fiio E17 the same way.  The D1 is meant for my PC but I figured I'd give it a try with my S3 and am surprised it actually worked.  

A word of warning though, I only tested it for 1 song because when I was checking one of my battery monitor widgets, it was showing 1,000mA power draw from the battery.  Granted, the widget may not be super accurate, but nonetheless, that is a lot of current to draw from the battery.  I would recommended using one of those USB OTG Y-Power cables with an external power supply if you want to use for anything more than testing.  Mine is on its way from dx.com so it'll be another 2-3 weeks before it arrives.  

Anyone else excited at Samsung's announcement of Android 4.3 for the S3 and Note2 in November?  I wonder how many DACs this will break/make work.  I recall reading in one of the Fiio threads about their internal testing the E07K works with Android 4.1, but not 4.2.  The E17 works with 4.2, but not 4.1.  I wonder what will/(not) work with 4.3.

Sep 28, 2013 at 6:18 AM Post #3,156 of 9,526
  That site looks very unfinished, I can´t see any phones mentioned there. Wonder if I´m the only that can't read that site proberly?
Also, I read somewhere that the SGR supports voodoo sound (has Wolfson dac), but on Voodoo sound page doesn't mention the SGR.

Update: "Solved"/weird, I opened the www.estreamsd.com/blablabla which on my pc shows almost nothing but white; I "select all" and copy&pasted to wordpad, and now I can read the text in wordpad..

I have the galaxy R and it only works with USB DACs through the UARP app. Voodoo sound is supported and is included by default in the kernels of custom ROMs for the phone in XDA.

Sep 28, 2013 at 6:25 AM Post #3,157 of 9,526
Announced recently, the next Sony AUDIOPHILE walkman ZX1 (with 128 Gb of storage and support for 24/192 !).

and... It seems that there will be a possibility of "digital out" through an adapter using the Sony WM-port  
size]

Sep 28, 2013 at 7:26 AM Post #3,158 of 9,526
  Here's another data point to add.

stock Samsung Galaxy S3 > digital USB audio out >> USB OTG cable >> Audioengine D1 >> AKG K702.65.  

Thanks!

Quote:
  A word of warning though, I only tested it for 1 song because when I was checking one of my battery monitor widgets, it was showing 1,000mA power draw from the battery.  Granted, the widget may not be super accurate, but nonetheless, that is a lot of current to draw from the battery.  I would recommended using one of those USB OTG Y-Power cables with an external power supply if you want to use for anything more than testing.  Mine is on its way from dx.com so it'll be another 2-3 weeks before it arrives.  

Another way: Qi wireless charging with a portable wireless charger like the Mugenizer N11 Portable Wireless Charger Power Bank with 4800mAh
http://mugen.hk/mugenizer-n11-portable-wireless-charger.html

Qi wireless charging standard:
charging base station >> power >>  mobile device
http://blog.3g4g.co.uk/2010/09/wireless-power-consortium-wpc-launches.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qi_(wireless_power_standard)

Some Android devices like Google Nexus 4 or Google Nexus 7 2nd gen have built-in Qi receiver.
Others, like Samsung’s flagship smartphones, have Qi receiver included in an aftermarket battery door.

"Automotive Industry selects Qi
The CE4A is a initiative of the automotive industry that aims to standardize interface between vehicles and consumer electronics products, such as smartphones.
CE4A generated requirements that must be fulfilled for use in automobiles. These relate to installation space, usage profiles, electromagnetic compatibility, and safety, for example. In addition, the standard must be ready for future requirements and offer potential for further development and commercialization as well as have global distribution and the acceptance of handset makers and wireless providers.
Based on these considerations, CE4A recommended its members to use the Qi standard in current and future vehicle models."
http://www.wirelesspowerconsortium.com/blog/73/automotive-industry-selects-qi

"Mercedes-Benz introduces Qi wireless charging
Following the announcement of the CE4A on September 3, Mercedes-Benz announced on September 6 that they will act on the CE4A's recommendation and introduce Qi wireless charging in their consumer vehicles."
http://www.wirelesspowerconsortium.com/blog/74/mercedes-benz-introduces-qi-wireless-charging

Sep 29, 2013 at 4:53 AM Post #3,163 of 9,526
"E18 can work with smartphones with USB OTG function", and apparently the Galaxy S4 mini doesn’t have the USB OTG function, which can switch a USB OTG device or dual-role USB device (i.e. sometimes a USB host, sometimes a USB peripheral) like a Samsung's flagship smartphone (i.e. S3 / S4 / Note 2 / Note 3 / ...) to the USB host mode.

And only a USB host can work with a USB peripheral like a (standard) USB DAC, because USB is a master-slave communication bus: USB communication can only take place between a master device (i.e. USB host) and a slave device (i.e. USB peripheral).

Sep 29, 2013 at 5:17 AM Post #3,164 of 9,526
Ah, ok.

Question about my Nexus 7 (2013). If I want to use it with a DAC such as the E18 I have to use USB Audio Recorder PRO, correct? But what if all my music isn't FLAC and I sometimes like streaming music on Spotify, Does this mean I have to root it in order to get audio out via USB without the app?

Sep 29, 2013 at 5:48 AM Post #3,165 of 9,526
  Question about my Nexus 7 (2013). If I want to use it with a DAC such as the E18 I have to use USB Audio Recorder PRO, correct? 

Correct.

But what if all my music isn't FLAC and I sometimes like streaming music on Spotify, 

The USB Audio Recorder PRO music player can only play WAV/FLAC/OGG/AIFF.
I have some MP3 files, I convert them to FLAC using foobar2000.

The USB Audio soft driver is included in the USB Audio Recorder PRO app, it can't be currently used by other app like Spotify.

Does this mean I have to root it in order to get audio out via USB without the app?

Yes, there are probably some custom kernels which include a functional USB Audio driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back