Android phones and USB DACs
Mar 6, 2013 at 8:20 AM Post #1,816 of 9,526
Quote:
I've read through this whole thread and couldn't find (or missed) any mention of the Aune T1 USB Tube DAC/Amp.  Has anyone tried this unit with an OTG cable and any Android product?  Any luck?

72 pages worth of talk in another thread so hopefully it has been tried by now...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/633006/aune-t1-usb-tube-dac-amp-discussion-thread-see-first-post-for-faq

The Aune T1 uses the Te7022 chip as USB audio, that's a fact that you cant connect it to note2 or S3 but the latest Sony XZ or XV with an OTG cable. OR hope that there will be update stock ROM from Samsung. (btw we can easily to find out when a DAC claimed that support 24/96 USB audio... no luck on th note2 and s3 now. Also not all of  the 16/48 DACs should do)

Mar 6, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #1,817 of 9,526
The note 2 does pass 24/96 with usb recorder pro and the hifimediy dac. I tested it with George Harrison's "All Things Must Pass".

Mar 6, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #1,819 of 9,526
so under $200 USD, what's a good DAC/AMP to pick from here that I can use on my Nexus 7 (and laptop).  Has to be a DAC/AMP and able to be powered by a USB port (when used on a laptop).

Should be able to drive my headphones (see sig)

Thanks guys!

Mar 6, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #1,820 of 9,526
Quote:
The Aune T1 uses the Te7022 chip as USB audio, that's a fact that you cant connect it to note2 or S3 but the latest Sony XZ or XV with an OTG cable. 

There are USB DACs based on Tenor Te7022 USB chip which can interwork with the Samsung Galaxy S3 / Note2 like:

. ODAC with or without USB Audio Recorder PRO app running on the Galaxy S3 / Note2::
http://hifiduino.wordpress.com/2012/04/18/odac-revealed/

. HiFimeDIY Sabre USB DAC with USB Audio Recorder PRO app running on the Galaxy S3 / Note2:
http://hifimediy.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=62&product_id=92

http://www.sysnucleus.com/usbenum.html
The Samsung-implemented USB enumeration is perfectible.
It is not enough tolerant than the one implemented in the USB Audio Recorder PRO app.

Mar 6, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #1,821 of 9,526
Quote:
so under $200 USD, what's a good DAC/AMP to pick from here that I can use on my Nexus 7 (and laptop).  Has to be a DAC/AMP and able to be powered by a USB port (when used on a laptop).

Should be able to drive my headphones (see sig)

Thanks guys!

I'd look to the HRT Microstreamer.  It has no hardware volume control though, which could be an issue depending on how you plan on getting USB audio working on the N7.

Mar 6, 2013 at 10:52 PM Post #1,822 of 9,526
Quote:
The note 2 does pass 24/96 with usb recorder pro and the hifimediy dac. I tested it with George Harrison's "All Things Must Pass".

Sorry for my poor English, i mean that connecting to DAC with an OTG cable alone (without usb recorder pro).
Anyway, i think kernels of note2 or s3 cant recognize the vendor ID of most 24/96 USB audio chips, but XZ or XV can.

And sorry again that there are still some DACs like ODAC can work without USB RECORDER PRO... hmmm...may be i didnt look deep enough on this issue...will it be possible that the 7022L are configured to 16/48 OR the USB subscriptor are custom written?

(To have the rough conclusions above due to both of my DIY DACs are TI-PCM2706 and Tenor 7022 , and the status of the E7, E07K and E17...)

Mar 6, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #1,823 of 9,526
Has anyone got a Note II / HRT microStreamer combo been able to pass 24/96 files via USB Recorder Pro? I got the HRT to initiated always by turning on and off the USB Recorder Pro twice, and the display show 24/96 files alright and the meter danced with the tune but there is no sound coming out! Switching back to 16/44 didn't help and the HRT always go into mute mode and I need to reboot the Note II to get the HRT unlock itself from mute and play from other players like Neutron.

Anyone?

Mar 7, 2013 at 3:36 AM Post #1,824 of 9,526
Quote:
Sorry for my poor English, i mean that connecting to DAC with an OTG cable alone (without usb recorder pro).
Anyway, i think kernels of note2 or s3 cant recognize the vendor ID of most 24/96 USB audio chips, but XZ or XV can.

And sorry again that there are still some DACs like ODAC can work without USB RECORDER PRO... hmmm...may be i didnt look deep enough on this issue...will it be possible that the 7022L are configured to 16/48 OR the USB subscriptor are custom written?

(To have the rough conclusions above due to both of my DIY DACs are TI-PCM2706 and Tenor 7022 , and the status of the E7, E07K and E17...)

I might be wrong but I did read somewhere that Android that runs on the s3 is limited to 16 bits and players like poweramp/neutron downsample, USB recorder pro can bypass this limitation (I think). I have a apex glacier 24/96 which is s3 compatible I will put some 24/96 flac files on the phone and see what poweramp/neutron report as the file type although downsampling could still be going on in the background.

Mar 7, 2013 at 4:39 AM Post #1,825 of 9,526
I just checked out that listing, and I don't see anything saying it's an OTG cable, so I'm not sure that will work for an external DAC. Naturally, I'm open to being corrected on this, but even in looking at the picture, it looks like the micro-USB plug has all the pins present, and I think the OTG cable is missing one of the plugs. 

But hey, if it ends up working, who cares what I think? 
size]

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/221132769855?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_5120wt_1354

Theogenes is correct, the cable in the link is NOT an OTG cable, I got one and no love. So don't repeat what I've done.

Mar 7, 2013 at 5:14 AM Post #1,829 of 9,526
Quote:
It might be worth PMing Toxic cables, he mentioned on another thread he had some ibasso micro to mini OTG cables quiet cheap

http://www.head-fi.org/t/628374/samsung-galaxy-s3-to-dac-usb-micro-b-male-to-mini-b-male/45

post 52

I could do with one myself for the Practical Devices xm6 although I have another DAC/AMP Im using with the s3 at the moment.

Yep, I got some from Toxic Cables, they work perfectly and easily the nicest (non-custom) host-->mini USB solution I've seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back