Android phones and USB DACs
post-9225338
Post #1,801 of 9,413

fuzzy1969

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Quote:
How does the S3 behave with regards to ringtones and system/notification sounds while playing music through a USB DAC?  Will the DAC mute and the phone ring or will I hear the ring etc through my headphones or speakers?  Will I need to disconnect the DAC to answer a call?

Thanks.
I don't know I put it airplane mode because there some annoying beeping stuff going on when the phone does some hand shaking with the phone network.

post-9226303
Post #1,802 of 9,413

teddytejero

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
Hi everybody, 

just a quick FYI: my Sony Xperia V (stock rom, android 4.1.2) and Fiio E17 is working out-of-the-box with a USB OTG cable. I turn off the charge via USB option on the E17.

Is there a difference between the Neo version and the V ? The only reason to buy a smartphone for me is the usb audio one

thanks

post-9227997
Post #1,803 of 9,413

nnotis

500+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Has anybody given USB audio a try on the latest offerings from LG?  I expect the Nexus 4 not to have it since Google hasn't implemented it.  But perhaps it would with the Jack Norris patch?  What about LG's skinned devices?  It would be awfully nice to have an Optimus G Pro with full USB audio functionality.

post-9228350
Post #1,804 of 9,413

akll

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
Quote:

Looking forward to it!

Me too!
Dear all,
Dont need to look forward to it. I got my XZ few days ago , and quite sure that USB DAC not using TI PC270X USB audio chip can now be accepted by XZ just with a OTG cable.
i had two DACs, one with 2706 chip which worked with NOTE II, and XZ, but another DAC cant be worked with NOTE II , moreover the poweramp will be wierd when playing flac files (like X10 fast forward). But this DAC works with XZ without any problems. (ofcoz still have a low sound level problem :frowning2: ...)
Both phones have same 4.1.2 (stock rom of sony , and update rom of note2).

post-9228515
Post #1,805 of 9,413

NZtechfreak

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
I think they were referring to the HTC One, it was already confirmed for the Xperia Z.

Got my Xperia Z today, will try it with my DACs and report which of those work,

post-9228580
Post #1,806 of 9,413

turokrocks

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Quote:
I think they were referring to the HTC One, it was already confirmed for the Xperia Z.

Got my Xperia Z today, will try it with my DACs and report which of those work,
You are the man...congratulation
I am contemplating to replace my Note 2 with it , should I?
can we have some pics while it is being usb dac amped ..

Regards

post-9228660
Post #1,807 of 9,413

NZtechfreak

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Quote:
You are the man...congratulation
I am contemplating to replace my Note 2 with it , should I?
can we have some pics while it is being usb dac amped ..

Regards

Sure, will do some photos tomorrow when I have better light to work with.

All my USB DACs work with it - Leckerton, RSA Intruder, HeadAmp Pico, Apex Glacier.

Regards replacing the Note 2: No. The screen is quite poor, I think set to be the worst FHD phone screen this year. Far worse than my HTC Butterfly, which in turn is reputed to be worse than the HTC One, worse than the Oppo Find 5 according to GSMArena, worse than the Padfone Infinity from all reports, likely to be worse than the S4. Screen washout at even slightly off angles is quite bad, blacks and contrast not that good even before that. Battery life seems variable, but user consensus seems to be pointing to being not so good (which would make it a big step down from the Note 2 in that rather important regard). Camera only about the same as the better examples amongst last years 8mp shooters. Styling is nice, and the waterproofing also nice, could see those swaying some for sure.

post-9228719
Post #1,808 of 9,413

xd00bx

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
hello headfiers, i am new to the site and new to high end audio in general. i have been following the forums for a few weeks now and i've decided on which headphones and amp to buy. my question is regarding a dac; can i use a dac/amp combo and still use an amp with my headphones? the amp i have selected is far better than the one in the dac and i am obviously looking for best sound quality, also i will be upgrading phones in a few weeks and wondering if the htc one coming out will be a good phone to use as a source or should i wait for gs4 to arrive which i heard will be great for audio? any advice is appreciated... cheers!

post-9228722
Post #1,809 of 9,413

dryvadeum

1000+ Head-Fier
Reaction score

All my USB DACs work with it - Leckerton, RSA Intruder, HeadAmp Pico, Apex Glacier.

Regards replacing the Note 2: No. The screen is quite poor, I think set to be the worst FHD phone screen this year. Far worse than my HTC Butterfly, which in turn is reputed to be worse than the HTC One, worse than the Oppo Find 5 according to GSMArena, worse than the Padfone Infinity from all reports, likely to be worse than the S4. Screen washout at even slightly off angles is quite bad, blacks and contrast not that good even before that. Battery life seems variable, but user consensus seems to be pointing to being not so good (which would make it a big step down from the Note 2 in that rather important regard). Camera only about the same as the better examples amongst last years 8mp shooters. Styling is nice, and the waterproofing also nice, could see those swaying some for sure.

Hey out of the portable dac/amps you mention, which would you say is overall the best in terms of sound quality? Which has the best bass? I have the Apex but wondering if there's better sound quality to be had.

post-9229381
Post #1,810 of 9,413

PNWwildcat

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
Good morning everyone.  I thought I'd post my question here, seeing as how you are the experts.  I started my own thread a little more than a week ago but haven't received any replies there.  maybe you guys can help?

I recently purchased a Fiio E07k to pair with my Samsung Galaxy Note 2.  However, I was unable to get the units to work correctly after trying multiple OTG cables.  I returned the E07k and picked up an E7.  It works but it's definitely a step down from the E07k.

I researched all of the Galaxy Note 2-compatible DAC/Amps on DanBa's most recent list to check out options within my (now slightly expanded) budget.  It looks like the iBasso D-Zero and HRT Headstreamer Mobile are my only other viable options.  Any thoughts on these units vs. the E7?  I really liked the sound of the E07k when using my laptop as the source so I'd like to get something on par or better than that.

I'm very intrigued by the upcoming Fiio E18 but that won't be around until mid-late summer and who knows what the price will be.  In the meantime I need something to tide me over.  ClieOS recommended the Leckerton Audio UHA-4 in another thread awhile back, but it's just outside of my budget window and hasn't been tested as a positive pair with the Note 2.

Would it be worth paying a bit extra for one of these two units or should I just stick with the E7 for now?  If so, I'll still have to have my new E7 replaced as it is faulty and only powers on when connected to an active USB port.

Thanks in advance for your help!

I also asked this in my second post:

Anyone have any insight on this?  I currently don't own any 24/96 music but would it be dumb to limit myself for future listening?  Is the "asynchronous" USB on the HRT unit a big deal?

I did swap out my E7 for a replacement and it does the same thing when it comes to power.  It won't power on unless it is connected to my laptop or Note 2.  If I remove it from either device it instantly powers off.  It also briefly flashes "Lock" when initially powered on and "Unlock" when detached from either source and powers down.  USB charging is set to "on" but I'm afraid if I turn it "off" the unit may never power on again due to the weird power issues.

Thanks in advance.  I GREATLY appreciate any insight.

post-9229407
Post #1,811 of 9,413

Retrias

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
the Ibasso D zero comes with less features and less adjustments compared to the e7 , but according to people who own it , it is generally the better dac amp compared to the fiio e7

post-9229443
Post #1,812 of 9,413

turokrocks

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Quote:

Thank you.
I really do like the Note's screen color saturation.
Strange how Sony made this really nice handset, but shot itself in the foot!!???
The screen is very important to me, and the S4 is weeks away to be released/unveiled. (and I have no need for the S-pen)

post-9229664
Post #1,813 of 9,413

bundee1

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
post-9230137
Post #1,814 of 9,413

tobyblh

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
Quote:
hello headfiers, i am new to the site and new to high end audio in general. i have been following the forums for a few weeks now and i've decided on which headphones and amp to buy. my question is regarding a dac; can i use a dac/amp combo and still use an amp with my headphones? the amp i have selected is far better than the one in the dac and i am obviously looking for best sound quality, also i will be upgrading phones in a few weeks and wondering if the htc one coming out will be a good phone to use as a source or should i wait for gs4 to arrive which i heard will be great for audio? any advice is appreciated... cheers!
Yes, but you better look for a DAC with line-out in order to avoid double amplifying,
which is not a good idea in theory. 

post-9230364
Post #1,815 of 9,413

PNWwildcat

New Head-Fier
Reaction score

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)