Android phones and USB DACs
Jan 25, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #1,501 of 9,526
USB audio & Android 4.1 Jelly Bean powered Samsung Galaxy Camera:
http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/mobile-devices/galaxy-camera/
http://www.sogi.com.tw/android/article_list.aspx?OsId=1&topic_ID=6205384

Samsung Galaxy Camera > digital USB audio out >> USB OTG cable >> iBasso D12 Hj USB DAC/amp 

Jan 25, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #1,502 of 9,526
Fan-freaking-tastic!!!  Has anyone yet tested this on the AOSP builds of Paranoid?  If not, I'll soon be doing so.  I also encourage people to try Liquid smooth.  If not for Paranoid, it would be my ROM of choice.  It's outstanding.

Quote:
Great news for AOSP AT&T Galaxy S3 fans!!!

I flashed Jack Norris' patch:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=37158313#post37158313

While CyanogenMod 10.1 & AOKP do not work yet for some reason, I was able to flash a different AOSP based ROM which DOES work!!!

Liquidsmooth ROM works after flashing Jack's patch!!!! Hotplugging and all! Thank you, JACK!!!!
Liquidsmooth looks almost identical to CM10.1. I've never used it before so it's new to me.

Jan 25, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #1,503 of 9,526
Quote:

Tasker (app) should be able to do that.

Tasker is one of the most impressive apps I've ever seen if you take the time to learn how use it. It is nothing short of incredible. If anyone would be interested in a scaled-down application with similar functionality for free, check out AutomateIt. Not nearly as powerful, but similar in setup and what they aim to achieve. 

+1 on the Tasker rec. 

Jan 25, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #1,504 of 9,526
The problem with Tasker (aside from the learning curve) is that it is dependent on other actions.
Such as,  for it to enable Dock Mode, something must trigger that action.  
In this case, the only thing I can think of to trigger the action would be connecting my phone to the USB-OTG cable.  
So in this case, it would trigger Dock Mode anytime my phone is connected to a MicroUSB cable,  since I doubt there is a way to get Tasker to recognize the difference between MicroUSB cables.
Which means Dock  Mode would start up EVERYTIME I plug in my phone to charge.  Which would be annoying of course.  :)

I want Dock Mode to start the moment I plug my phone in my car or desk docks.  Without any interaction from me (like pressing shortcuts).

I'll test some things next week when I get my S3 back from JTAG repair.

Jan 26, 2013 at 2:02 AM Post #1,505 of 9,526
I just want to report back.  Jack's patch seems to work perfectly on the i9300 Galaxy S3 running Paranoid 2.5 with Siyah 1.8.9.  Unfortunately, I can't seem to do ANYTHING to make 4.2 ROMs work without the 0 partition bug.  The only thing I have left to try is full wipe of my internal SD.  

When I do get this figured out, I'll try AOSPA 4.2 with the patch.

Jan 26, 2013 at 5:14 AM Post #1,506 of 9,526
I just want to report back.  Jack's patch seems to work perfectly on the i9300 Galaxy S3 running Paranoid 2.5 with Siyah 1.8.9.  Unfortunately, I can't seem to do ANYTHING to make 4.2 ROMs work without the 0 partition bug.  The only thing I have left to try is full wipe of my internal SD.  

When I do get this figured out, I'll try AOSPA 4.2 with the patch.

LOL, the 0 folder is not a bug, it's multi user support. User 1= folder 0, user 2= folder 1, etc. This was introduced with 4.2, a simple fix is to just move all your stuff to the 0 folder if you came from 4.1.2 or lower.

Jan 26, 2013 at 6:38 AM Post #1,507 of 9,526
Quote:
I believe there needs to be some clarification... The patch jacknorris made, allows Nexus 7 users the ability to hotplug a USB DAC into their tablet.  Before this patch, you had to have the USB DAC plugged in when you booted up the Nexus 7.  Now, you can plug in a USB DAC into the microusb port at any time, and use it without having to reboot. The ability to use USB Audio is provided by many of the N7 kernels out there that enable this feature.

Of course, this is pretty awesome... It really was a pain to reboot everytime I wanted to use my USB DAC, so this patch makes the N7 even more awesome!

Originally, but not just anymore!

Quote:
Now that I have my AOSP, there is one last thing I need for USB-DAC nirvana.

I need a USB-OTG cable that also triggers "dock mode" or "car mode".  Has anyone found anything like this or know how to hack an OTG cable into doing this?

I would like this A LOT. What exactly does Dock Mode or Car mode do?
Does it allow the device to charge and use USB devices? And pass through Calls to the USB audio device?

Jan 26, 2013 at 7:45 AM Post #1,508 of 9,526
Quote:
The problem with Tasker (aside from the learning curve) is that it is dependent on other actions.
Such as,  for it to enable Dock Mode, something must trigger that action.  
In this case, the only thing I can think of to trigger the action would be connecting my phone to the USB-OTG cable.  
So in this case, it would trigger Dock Mode anytime my phone is connected to a MicroUSB cable,  since I doubt there is a way to get Tasker to recognize the difference between MicroUSB cables.
Which means Dock  Mode would start up EVERYTIME I plug in my phone to charge.  Which would be annoying of course.  :)

I want Dock Mode to start the moment I plug my phone in my car or desk docks.  Without any interaction from me (like pressing shortcuts).

I'll test some things next week when I get my S3 back from JTAG repair.

I don't have Tasker set up on my device atm, but the S3 does know and indicate that there is a different type of USB connection plugged in when you use the USB OTG cable. If there isn't a trigger for it yet, I'd say we could request one from the dev pretty easily.

Jan 26, 2013 at 7:57 AM Post #1,509 of 9,526
Quote:

I don't have Tasker set up on my device atm, but the S3 does know and indicate that there is a different type of USB connection plugged in when you use the USB OTG cable. If there isn't a trigger for it yet, I'd say we could request one from the dev pretty easily.

Me thinks having a widget or something, where you can trigger a flag that determines how the the connection is handled is a cheap easy idea.

basically

USB mode:
  1. Dock mode
  2. USB Host: default

just a simple tap to switch.

Jan 26, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #1,510 of 9,526
Nexus 7 i cant get hotplugging aspect working. Any ideas? Details I posted in the XDA thread.

Jan 26, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #1,511 of 9,526
Quote:
I would like this A LOT. What exactly does Dock Mode or Car mode do?
Does it allow the device to charge and use USB devices? And pass through Calls to the USB audio device?

Dock mode basically triggers a few actions.  Such as it brings up my "Car Home Ultra" interface which gives me nice, large icons to easily press when I'm in my car.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=spinninghead.carhome.license&hl=en

You don't need dock mode to charge & use USB devices though.  Just the right kind of USB-OTG cable.  Default mode does this, and it also passes call audio through to USB-DAC.

Quote:

That is interesting.  You could be onto something.  

Jan 26, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #1,512 of 9,526
Downloaded Tasker again on my S3 to see if I could get the USB OTG context to work, and I was unsuccessful. (Full Disclosure: I am a complete goober when it comes to this stuff and have next to zero idea what I'm actually doing.) But in looking at the available States under Context, I only see 'USB Plugged,' which did not trigger the task I set when I plugged it into my portable setup. The USB power cable did not trigger it either, however, so there may be something I'm doing wrong. 

I believe Tasker does have the ability to allow 3rd party plugins, so if anyone wants to give USB OTG detection a go, that would be GREAT!! 
size]

Jan 27, 2013 at 4:01 AM Post #1,513 of 9,526
Okay, so i have been reading around through this thread and I have a question in regard to the  Minix Neo G4 (Android mini PC). What if you used something like this (portable, battery powered usb charger) as a power source for the G4. Could you then simplify the home screen using a T.V. or what have you, so you could actually see what you were doing, to only include the music short cut(so just delete everything else, under the assumption it would be used only for music). This way, you could simply click and play, skip track, the like using the included (it does come with one right?) IR remote, think early ipod shuffle, no screen needed. And then out of that run your USB audio out and hook it up to what ever DAC you wanted (i mean with an OTG of course), no programming, app downloading, or otherwise technical know how needed. Is this possible? Am i just some crazy man with some incredibly wishful thinking? 

Thanks so much for your input. It's greatly appreciated.

Jan 27, 2013 at 6:41 AM Post #1,514 of 9,526
I don't think you can do it , you at least need the technical know how on to programming android to immediately startsthe music player of choice on start and launch you directly to the interface, I don't think it runs with a USB power source either , most of those android sticks I see run from the HDMI port instead
edit:
Okay My mistake it came with a ground plug, I still don't think it won't work without the technical know how

Jan 27, 2013 at 9:13 AM Post #1,515 of 9,526
Quote:
I don't think you can do it , you at least need the technical know how on to programming android to immediately startsthe music player of choice on start and launch you directly to the interface, I don't think it runs with a USB power source either , most of those android sticks I see run from the HDMI port instead
edit:
Okay My mistake it came with a ground plug, I still don't think it won't work without the technical know how

Well from what I've read,it says there is a music shortcut right on the home page. And, assuming it works like my android phone, i should be able to delete the other icons from the home page right? no programming needed.

And, lookie at this:

The Neo G4 has very low power consumption. It is the only Android Mini PC device that I have managed to run without any issues while powered off the USB port on my TV. I even managed to connect a non-powered USB hub and plugged in a wired mouse, keyboard and a USB thumb drive with all devices working fine.

This was on the provided review of the G4. Assuming i understand this right (and i may be wrong) but this bodes well for powering it using a small cell phone charging battery pack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back