Android O : New Codec & AAudio API
Mar 21, 2017 at 2:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Emerald Core

100+ Head-Fier
I am quoting what was mentioned on the website. It looks like they adopted to LDAC from Sony. I hope it includes more codecs than just LDAC. What is the deal with AAudio ?

https://android-developers.googleblog.com/2017/03/first-preview-of-android-o.html

Connectivity: For the ultimate in audio fidelity, Android O now also supports high-quality Bluetooth audio codecs such as the LDAC codec. We're also adding new Wi-Fi features as well, like Wi-Fi Aware, previously known as Neighbor Awareness Networking (NAN). On devices with the appropriate hardware, apps and nearby devices can discover and communicate over Wi-Fi without an Internet access point. We're working with our hardware partners to bring Wi-Fi Aware technology to devices as soon as possible.

AAudio API for Pro Audio: AAudio is a new native API that's designed specifically for apps that require high-performance, low-latency audio. Apps using AAudio read and write data via streams. In the Developer Preview we're releasing an early version of this new API to get your feedback.

Mar 21, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #2 of 2

​I saw it too. Just bought the MDR-1000X 2 weeks ago, and since I don't have an LDAC device yet, a bigger market share is always welcome. In fact, I'm using it with my iPhone 6, and while it sounds pretty good, I do wonder what LDAC might do.

Instead of buying a dedicated sony walkman to benefit from this, I could just buy a Android O Phone as a DAP (when released) that has the capacity for large storage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back