Android: Neutron Music Player
Sep 19, 2019 at 12:18 PM Post #676 of 1,374
@bobbooo

> what does the '32-bit Output (IEE 754)' option do

It appeared in Neutron before Android's audioflinger got hi-res capabilities, so if Neutron detects your device as hi-res, e.g. in Audio Hardware -> Bits you see 24-bit Int (8.24) or 32-bit Int then '32-bit Output (IEE 754)' is not needed because if Neutron sends 32-bit floating point sample to the OS then OS's driver will anyway convert it one of the supported integer formats. If Neutron does this conversion instead of OS then you could use Neutron's Dithering DSP which slightly increases SNR and minimizes quantization error. Also Neutron's float to integer conversion is stable and portable, so result is guaranteed while if OS is doing it all depends on firmware and who developed it, basically - black box. If Neutron does not detect any hi-res capability and shows Bits as 16-bit Int then it is better to activate '32-bit Output (IEE 754)' with hope that OS driver will convert it to 24-bit Int at least, so it is better than nothing.

For modern mobile devices which are detected as hi-res by Neutron and output Bits are >16 then I advise not to use this option, otherwise it could break hi-res output internally inside the OS and stream will go to 16/48 mixer...

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2019 at 4:03 PM Post #681 of 1,374
@bobbooo

It appeared in Neutron before Android's audioflinger got hi-res capabilities, so if Neutron detects your device as hi-res, e.g. in Audio Hardware -> Bits you see 24-bit Int (8.24) or 32-bit Int then '32-bit Output (IEE 754)' is not needed because if Neutron sends 32-bit floating point sample to the OS then OS's driver will anyway convert it one of the supported integer formats. If Neutron does this conversion instead of OS then you could use Neutron's Dithering DSP which slightly increases SNR and minimizes quantization error. Also Neutron's float to integer conversion is stable and portable, so result is guaranteed while if OS is doing it all depends on firmware and who developed it, basically - black box. If Neutron does not detect any hi-res capability and shows Bits as 16-bit Int then it is better to activate '32-bit Output (IEE 754)' with hope that OS driver will convert it to 24-bit Int at least, so it is better than nothing.

For modern mobile devices which are detected as hi-res by Neutron and output Bits are >16 then I advise not to use this option, otherwise it could break hi-res output internally inside the OS and stream will go to 16/48 mixer...
So @dmitrykos, i have this in Bits
Screenshot_20190919-205920_Neutron.jpg
So should i have 32bit output checked or not? Samsung Note 9

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2019 at 8:14 PM Post #683 of 1,374
Actually i had 64 bit processing on. This is how it is completely normal So, 32bit processing on or off??
Since your device says 16 int under bits, you want 32 bit output IEEE 754 to be ON.

Sep 19, 2019 at 8:23 PM Post #684 of 1,374
@bobbooo

Brilliant, thanks. I really appreciate the detailed explanations and direct developer interaction on here.

One feature I was wondering if it would be possible for you to implement in the future is integration with streaming services e.g. like USB Audio Player Pro's integration with Tidal, so I could use Neutron's awesome EQ and DSP while streaming music. I was specifically thinking about the new Amazon Music HD service actually. If it wouldn't be possible to connect to these services directly through Neutron, could there be some kind of workaround where you send the audio output of a PC (while playing music through the streaming service on the PC) to Neutron Player on a local shared WiFi network? (The app SoundWire allows you to do this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.georgie.SoundWireFree)

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2019 at 9:17 PM Post #685 of 1,374
There’s some legal issues (imposed restrictions about access after decoding) at least with applying EQ to any MQA playback, hindering any Tidal/MQA EQ-ing. As Amazon is luckily just plain flac we’ll just have to wait and see.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2019 at 9:44 PM Post #686 of 1,374
If I have All to DSD turned on, should I keep all oversampling off?

Sep 20, 2019 at 12:13 AM Post #687 of 1,374
Also what is the difference between running a "Peak" normalization analysis and a "replay gain" one? It appears only one can be active at once?

Sep 20, 2019 at 5:43 AM Post #690 of 1,374
could there be some kind of workaround where you send the audio output of a PC (while playing music through the streaming service on the PC) to Neutron Player on a local shared WiFi network?

As @WitzyZed correctly mentioned, there may be license DRM issues with that if Neutron implements some kind of PCM routing, it may be prohibited. If there would be some kind of server software on PC which would declare itself as audio card and provided some streaming address over http then you could connect Neutron to it via Streaming -> [+] category.

@Seazer, Replay Gain is normalization by loudness (RMS), Peak is normalization by audio sample max peak (e.g. audio data will not be overloaded and will use full dynamic range, RMS normalization will not use full dynamic range).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back