Andrew WK: Genius or talent free twerp?
Apr 19, 2002 at 10:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 65

markl

Hangin' with the monkeys.
Member of the Trade: Lawton Audio
I vote "Genius". This guy is going to be HUGE! He already broke in England and now it's on to the states.

Yeah, it's "dumb" and "simple-minded", but I Get Wet, his debut record has the *potential* IMO of being to this generation of teenagers what Beastie Boys "License to Ill" was to my generation.

Your thoughts?

markl

Apr 20, 2002 at 12:17 AM Post #2 of 65
talent-free twerp

Is it just me, or does the concept of "manufactured" come to mind when listening to this guy? I mean, it's almost like someone went to a Britney Spears concert and took a poll (if you could change one thing about Britney's music to make it better, what would ti be?), got an answer back (make it harder), and then went back to the cloning lab and did some cross-breeding. I mean, let's look at the song titles -- three of them contain the word "Party" in them, usually in verb form (which it is not, except as a colloquialism). "I Love New York" is an obvious cash-in job on the post-911 patriotic fever that has swept the land (and he's British, IIRC). All the lyrics are mostly one or two lines repeated over and over. Most of the vocals are multi-tracked (possibly because he's just a poseur and can't really sing). It never lets up. Even Black Sabbath new to throw in the occasional ballad (or at least, a lighter moment).

Sorry, me no likee.

Apr 20, 2002 at 1:04 AM Post #3 of 65
Absolute trash, total ****. Really pisses me off everytime i see the damn video, annoying crap.

Everything that Dusty wrote also....

Apr 20, 2002 at 1:13 AM Post #4 of 65
A quick google says Andrew WK was born in California and raised in Michigan.

BTW I vote talent free twerp after listening to one song, but I'm sure he will still be successful.

Apr 20, 2002 at 1:23 AM Post #5 of 65
You guys are missing the point. The whole point IS that he has not one, but THREE songs with "Party" in the title. It's his "schtick". It puts a smile on my face every time I hear it, especially "Party til You Puke". It's enjoyable in a completely frivolous, ironic, and silly way. It's just a great put-on. Did any of you like Licensed to Ill? Did it have ANYTHING of value to say to you? No. It was a stupid CD that was played endlessly at every party you went to. It was part of your life just by its ubiquity.

I think Andrew WK could be the same kind of thing. I'm not saying he's Beethoven.

markl

Apr 20, 2002 at 2:56 AM Post #6 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
It was a stupid CD that was played endlessly at every party you went to.

I was in the other room. Quote:

It was part of your life just by its ubiquity.

I just wanted to quote that. Great line. I may use a variant of it as a lyric some day.

Apr 20, 2002 at 3:54 AM Post #7 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
You guys are missing the point. The whole point IS that he has not one, but THREE songs with "Party" in the title. It's his "schtick". It puts a smile on my face every time I hear it, especially "Party til You Puke". It's enjoyable in a completely frivolous, ironic, and silly way. It's just a great put-on. Did any of you like Licensed to Ill? Did it have ANYTHING of value to say to you? No. It was a stupid CD that was played endlessly at every party you went to. It was part of your life just by its ubiquity.

I think Andrew WK could be the same kind of thing. I'm not saying he's Beethoven.

markl

What point were we missing? You asked for our opinions and we gave them, if you can't handle our opinions, they why ask?

Apr 20, 2002 at 9:52 AM Post #8 of 65
Though the single Party Hard is fun and funny, the song itself doesn't reveal any strong musical/songwriting talent. Unless he has something else up his sleeve, I think our partyboy will be going the way of the dodo next year.

Apr 20, 2002 at 4:19 PM Post #13 of 65
"What point were we missing? You asked for our opinions and we gave them, if you can't handle our opinions, they why ask?"

Didn't mean to offend, just having fun.

"andrew who?"

You'll know soon enough.

markl

Apr 20, 2002 at 6:34 PM Post #14 of 65
So many people here on head-fi have elitist attitudes towards the type of music they like.

Very annoying.
mad.gif

Apr 20, 2002 at 6:42 PM Post #15 of 65
My vote goes towards "talent-free twerp".

I can't believe this guy is getting this much attention.

He's dirty and wears the same clothes, which I personally don't have much of a problem with. (I think it's kind of funny.)

I also feel his songs are a bit repetitive, especially the titles.

But who knows, maybe I just haven't given his music much of a chance. I'll be sure to listen to the full album once or twice before giving a concrete opinion.

Gotta say I love the album cover though. Love it to death.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back