ANC Is More Complicated Than It Sounds: Advanced ANC Headphone Measurements
Jun 10, 2020 at 9:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 77

If you can't see the embedded video above, please click here.

on Head-Fi TV

Active noise cancellation (ANC) is very complex, and how to do it well just might surprise you. We sat down with Jacob Soendergaard from HEAD acoustics to discuss their fascinating study on ANC.

ANC Is More Complicated Than It Sounds: Advanced ANC Headphone Measurements - Produced by Brian Murphy and Jude Mansilla

Jun 11, 2020 at 12:03 AM Post #3 of 77
The people over at Audio Science Review could really learn few things from this guy. Great to see someone actually doing scientific work to explain what humans perceive, rather that just blindly trusting whatever measurement standard they have, and disregarding anything not showing up on it, as lies and delusions of filthy humans...

Jun 11, 2020 at 7:15 AM Post #4 of 77
A great analogy of the quality of a soup based only on temperature while excluding ingredients and cooking method.

Thanks for watching @sidecross.
Completely agree on the soup analogy! That was such an enlightening and concise way to phrase it.

And just to be clear, I'm the Jacob in the video. I'll be hanging around and happy to elaborate on certain topics and answer as many questions as I can.

Jun 11, 2020 at 9:18 AM Post #6 of 77
Thanks for watching @sidecross.
Completely agree on the soup analogy! That was such an enlightening and concise way to phrase it.

And just to be clear, I'm the Jacob in the video. I'll be hanging around and happy to elaborate on certain topics and answer as many questions as I can.
Thank you Jacob for a very concise talk, it is appreciated by many here. :)

Jun 11, 2020 at 9:36 AM Post #7 of 77

If you can't see the embedded video above, please click here.

on Head-Fi TV

Active noise cancellation (ANC) is very complex, and how to do it well just might surprise you. We sat down with Jacob Soendergaard from HEAD acoustics to discuss their fascinating study on ANC.

ANC Is More Complicated Than It Sounds: Advanced ANC Headphone Measurements - Produced by Brian Murphy and Jude Mansilla

Wowser. So interesting. Being into everything audio NC, acoustics (as well medical research concerning hearing loss and developments into new surgical treatments for hearing loss) - right in my wheelhouse. Thank you Jude. Thank you Jacob.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2020 at 9:56 AM Post #9 of 77
Wowser. So interesting. Being into everything audio NC, acoustics (as well medical research concerning hearing loss and developments into new surgical treatments for hearing loss) - right in my wheelhouse. Thank you Jude. Thank you Jacob.
Many of the advancements in microelectronics for iem's is a result for all the work done in medical research concerning hearing loss thank you too Satir and others in this field. :)

Jun 11, 2020 at 9:58 AM Post #10 of 77
I'm right there with you.
There is so much to unpack here regarding ANC, noise dosage, hearing loss etc. I find it super fascinating.

In my previous job, I remember consulting on a project at a brewery, where the management (unwitting of the consequences) allowed all their workers to wear personal music devices. They thought it might help their workers in the bottling plant enjoy the day more... Of course, most of these guys showed up with the generic earbuds that accompany their phones and cranked up the volume to drown out the noise from the bottling machinery. The resulting sound+noise levels these guys were exposed to vastly exceeded OSHA regulations and general advice for hearing health. It was really unfortunate.
Of course, a good pair of ANC earbuds/headphones would have been perfectly suitable for the job.

Nonetheless, thanks for watching, @Satir. Happy to hear you found it interesting.

Jun 11, 2020 at 10:07 AM Post #11 of 77
I'm right there with you.
There is so much to unpack here regarding ANC, noise dosage, hearing loss etc. I find it super fascinating.

In my previous job, I remember consulting on a project at a brewery, where the management (unwitting of the consequences) allowed all their workers to wear personal music devices. They thought it might help their workers in the bottling plant enjoy the day more... Of course, most of these guys showed up with the generic earbuds that accompany their phones and cranked up the volume to drown out the noise from the bottling machinery. The resulting sound+noise levels these guys were exposed to vastly exceeded OSHA regulations and general advice for hearing health. It was really unfortunate.
Of course, a good pair of ANC earbuds/headphones would have been perfectly suitable for the job.

Nonetheless, thanks for watching, @Satir. Happy to hear you found it interesting.
I often use my airpods pro and bose qcll with only anc on for the 'music' of quiet to be prominent. :)

Jun 11, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #12 of 77
Most on head-fi are aware about what I'm about to say, but In case anyone reads this and is not 100% clear - noise-cancelling buds/headphones provide little if any protection from hearing loss. They just make it easier to listen to music at lower volume level being they reduce background noise. Noise-cancelling devices no substitute for properly fitted earplugs w/ excellent noise protection rating. We provided earplugs with 32dB noise reduction for all employees. Being one who spent many years attending arena concerts w/o hearing protection, became advocate for hearing protection. If my message spares anyone from further damage to their hearing, I'll have done my job. Head-fi readers are pretty educated about excessive music playback volume, but in case anyone reading this is unclear: Noise-cancelling devices do not protect you from hearing loss, they enable you to listen at lower volume, as they cancel-out some background noise. Whether one uses noise-cancelling devices to help listen to music more safely at lower volume, or continues to listen at higher volumes is their choice. Make the right choice and maybe retain decent hearing for much of your life.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #13 of 77
The people over at Audio Science Review could really learn few things from this guy. Great to see someone actually doing scientific work to explain what humans perceive, rather that just blindly trusting whatever measurement standard they have, and disregarding anything not showing up on it, as lies and delusions of filthy humans...
Could you clarify what you mean by blindly trusting whatever measurements they have? And also what you mean by disregarding anything not showing up on it? It's like saying you shouldn't 'blindly trust' a measuring stick to measure your height or a weigh scale to measure your weight.

Audiosciencereview's goal is to indicate as close to precise measured signal outputs of these components (DAC and AMP) - which is how the engineering of these devices are done. It's hard to see what is 'blindly trusting' when measurements are already based on facts. The baseline threshold they use is the average audible frequencies a human ear can perceive. This does not mean all humans have the same hearing range (disregarding placebo effect and such).

Even though I have a general idea of how ANC works, I'll be watching this video later once I have more time to see what other information I'm missing on how they work.

Jun 11, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #14 of 77
This was excellent, thanks for sharing your learning! I may have questions later... but for now, I’m digesting the meal 😂

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back