1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

An unexpected DAC/amp from Luxman - the LXU-OT2

Discussion in 'Currawong' started by currawong, Dec 26, 2012.
  1. Currawong Contributor
    Towards the end of my last day of work for the year, I stopped by a local hi-fi store to see if they had anything interesting.

One of the guys pulled out a copy of the local Stereo magazine, the January 2013 issue, which was considerably thicker than usual, as not only was it a magazine, but included was a box inside of which was a small Luxman DIY DAC and headphone amp! The DAC is nothing special, just a BB PCM2704. The headphone amp looks a little interesting and rather familiar.* Unexpected was the Luxman-branded USB cable.

A year ago, apparently, they included a small tripath-type speaker amp of the same size in the box. Both amps match a commonly available DIY case available here. I plan to grab one, drill it out and stick it in there for fun. The magazine also goes into the design for a few pages, including possible mods, such as cap upgrades, S/PDIF or Toslink output and other things. For about ~$35 for the issue, I thought it was pretty cool.

LuxmanLXU-OT2StereoMagazine_IMG_0159.jpg   LuxmanLXU-OT2StereoMagazine_IMG_0160.jpg   LuxmanLXU-OT2StereoMagazine_IMG_0161.jpg   LuxmanLXU-OT2StereoMagazine_IMG_0162.jpg   LuxmanLXU-OT2StereoMagazine_IMG_0155.jpg   LuxmanLXU-OT2StereoMagazine_IMG_0156.jpg   LuxmanLXU-OT2StereoMagazine_IMG_0157.jpg   LuxmanLXU-OT2StereoMagazine_IMG_0163.jpg

*By "familiar" I mean it is using the same output opamps as the O2 amp.