An short review of the Hifiman RE-ZERO
Sep 30, 2012 at 7:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

NujaBlessed

100+ Head-Fier
I am relatively new to head-fi and am even more new to iems, but i hope this will provide some at least useful information on the re-zero.
Now that i find myself on the go more, i've immersed myself into the world of iems and have decided to upgrade to the re-262, in memory of the re-zeros i want to write a short review on this terrific iem.

The re-zero is a somewhat analytical but very balanced iem. at 100$, it is hard to find any competitor that delivers such a clean sound. The treble has some sparkle, the mids are not forward and not recessed, the bass is very punchy and not bloated in the least. It is hard to find fault with this iem at a price of 100$.

Treble: The treble is crisp and clean with some sparkle and nice detail. I personally am okay with a bit of brightness though, so the re-zero's treble seems very flat and not overpresent at all.

Mids: One of the problems with the re-zero is its mids which are a bit less forward than i would like especially for mobile use. The mids themselves however are smooth and overall quite nice. However, this leads me to believe that the re-zeros are more capable of use at home considering their balanced and analytical nature.

Bass: The bass is slightly lacking (just a bit), however the quality is definitely there, punchy, fast and with good texture. I think just a 1-2 db increase in the sub-bass would do it for me.

Isolation: The isolation on these things is quite good, minimal din on the subway, have yet to try them on a plane, but i would suppose it should be similar. Gotta love those hifiman biflange tips!

Soundstage: Soundstage on the re-zero is meh, the instruments have a bit of air and the instrumental seperation is quite good, but i just feel the soundstage isn't wide enough and doesn't have much depth. Though, i might be spoiled by open headphones and have a biased view on this department.

Value: Insane value, considering they offer almost reference level sound for an iem at 100$ new. this is probably THE entry level iem to get.

After plugging the re-zeros into the bottlehead crack, they sounded more musical and lush. Odd that an iem with 100$ actually scales, but it is a pleasant surprise.

tl;dr
hifiman re-zero is the best sounding IEM at or under 100$. the end.

Sep 30, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #2 of 10
Nice review. The RE-262's are really nice. I have a pair I got last week, my first IEM. I teamed mine up with a JDS cMoyBB and it works very well together.

That said, after lots of reading this weekend, I might have to say that some of the offerings from Vsonic may be the best in the sub-$100 class, especially the Vsonic GR02. I actually just ordered a pair to give them a try. I'll definitely do an A&B impression against my RE-262's once I get them. I would be interesting to see how a $30 IEM stacks up against a $150 IEM...not that cost is indicative of quality in many cases. I'll be very happy if I find the Vsonic as good or better cause I can still return the RE-262 for a refund...lol...that will give me $150 to put towards a new desktop amp.

Sep 30, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:
Nice review. The RE-262's are really nice. I have a pair I got last week, my first IEM. I teamed mine up with a JDS cMoyBB and it works very well together.

That said, after lots of reading this weekend, I might have to say that some of the offerings from Vsonic may be the best in the sub-$100 class, especially the Vsonic GR02. I actually just ordered a pair to give them a try. I'll definitely do an A&B impression against my RE-262's once I get them. I would be interesting to see how a $30 IEM stacks up against a $150 IEM...not that cost is indicative of quality in many cases. I'll be very happy if I find the Vsonic as good or better cause I can still return the RE-262 for a refund...lol...that will give me $150 to put towards a new desktop amp.

i'd be very interested in reading that review.

Sep 30, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Good to hear the 262 works well with the JDS cmoy.  I have the re-zero, they are incredibly resolving but I found them a little fatiguing so I am going to move to the 262.  Since they will require an amp, I have been eyeing the c421.  I would think the characteristics would be similar, but if you have any other thoughts I would be interested to hear them.

Sep 30, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:
Good to hear the 262 works well with the JDS cmoy.  I have the re-zero, they are incredibly resolving but I found them a little fatiguing so I am going to move to the 262.  Since they will require an amp, I have been eyeing the c421.  I would think the characteristics would be similar, but if you have any other thoughts I would be interested to hear them.

yes, that is the reason why i'm upgrading as well, i'd like something either a little more fun or sweet like the re-262

Sep 30, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #6 of 10
Since the RE262's work well with the JDS cMoy, I'd suspect they will be awesome with the C421. I'd love to give on a listen but it's out of my budget right now since I just got the IEM's and cMoy. 

Oct 1, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #7 of 10
@poodytang : yep, I love the sweet sound of my yuin pk-3 but the resolution of the zero is amazing...I'm hoping to get both with the re-262.

@armandhammer : it's outside my budget too, but I have a roll-yer-own cmoy (that sounds amazing), but it drains pairs of 9v batteries like pez...no place to go but up.

Dec 11, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #8 of 10
The first Re-zeros I bought on Head-fi.org buying section had both earphone cases/capsules opened and I needed to regaled both (common problem). So I bought a new pair of Re-zeros not long ago for 60$ at Amazon.com discount! Can't get it any better!

Dec 11, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #10 of 10
I didn't quite have that experience with the RE-ZEROs, but you pretty much explained exactly what I'm hearing through the RE0's. I really want the RE-262s, but they are discontinued and can only be bought off ebay/amazon (with no warranty). I wonder what HiFiMan will have to replace em?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back