An intriguing service ?
Apr 21, 2004 at 1:33 AM Post #2 of 15
It's a cd resurfacing service. They use specialy build machine to polish the scratch out of your cd. There are many similar service all over internet. They can remove scratch from the read side. However, I haven't used it personaly.

2) Isnt it just a way of saying let me make copies of your CDs and by the way
pay me $3.99 for it.

I never tought of that.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 21, 2004 at 1:53 AM Post #3 of 15
If it works, it would be worth $4 to get a disc working again. I have two discs that are so bad they're now beyond the ability to play. At even $7-10 for a new one thru Half.com this is a bargain... if it works.

Apr 21, 2004 at 2:00 AM Post #4 of 15
You can buy scratch repair kits for around $5 that do a reasonable job.

The only time you're never going to fix it is when the label side gets seriously scratched.

Apr 21, 2004 at 7:59 AM Post #5 of 15
Hmm... I've used SkippyDisc before, and this seems like exactly the same process. Basically the same idea as tooth whitening products; it grinds a miniscule layer of the disc off. (except, of course, with teeth, it's not grinding, it's dissolving. But I digress) SkippyDisc charges $3.50 per CD/DVD, but they also have a $2.50 s/h fee. This doesn't. Sounds good to me...

Oh yes, a word of caution, these services usually don't get CDs perfect. I have a CD that was so badly scratched it couldn't play, and while it plays fine now, EAC still balks at ripping it, and usually ends up giving up. So apparently it gets the scratches small enough that error correction can deal with it, but EAC can't, at least not in secure mode. Sigh... I really hate shelling out money for a CD I already own.

(-:Stephonovich:)

Apr 21, 2004 at 1:17 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ServinginEcuador
If it works, it would be worth $4 to get a disc working again. I have two discs that are so bad they're now beyond the ability to play. At even $7-10 for a new one thru Half.com this is a bargain... if it works.

Think of yourselves as spoilt over there Doug! In Europe we pay normally btween $15 and $20 for a standard CD....
frown.gif

Apr 21, 2004 at 4:01 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ipodstudio
Think of yourselves as spoilt over there Doug! In Europe we pay normally between $15 and $20 for a standard CD....
frown.gif

Duncan,

Yeah, I count myself blessed to be in the states for a short amount of time, and will buy as much as possible while here to take advantage of the cheap prices. In Ecuador you can buy all the pirated CDs you want for about $1-2 each, but I won't.

Apr 22, 2004 at 3:30 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ServinginEcuador
In Ecuador you can buy all the pirated CDs you want for about $1-2 each, but I won't.

While I wouldn't have a morals issue about that, the sound quality likely isn't going to be the best. Even the most professional looking ones haven't been ripped with EAC offsets corrected
biggrin.gif

Apr 22, 2004 at 3:50 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77
2) Isnt it just a way of saying let me make copies of your CDs and by the way
pay me $3.99 for it.

If they have to use that method to copy games/programs/movies, they might as well shoot themselves for being stupid. There easier ways to obtain things.

Apr 22, 2004 at 6:00 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephonovich
While I wouldn't have a morals issue about that, the sound quality likely isn't going to be the best. Even the most professional looking ones haven't been ripped with EAC offsets corrected
biggrin.gif

I have an issue with this, thus I don't buy them. They also sell pirated DVDs down there also. A friend gave my wife and I a copy of LotR RotK for babysitting her daughter. We have never watched it, but she bought it in Shell for about $2. Quality is so horrible it isn't even funny. The next day I took my wife to see it in the theater in Quito. Cost us $4.50 a ticket, and the quality was great. It was fun checking for errors in the Spanish translation.
biggrin.gif
(Yes, I'm a geek, I admit it.)

Apr 22, 2004 at 6:30 AM Post #12 of 15
I have a problem with pirate copying, too, though I have bought a CD from a lad that often walks along the beaches here in my present hometown. He's from Africa and I know how hard it is for these people to get any form of work here in Spain. They're just not starting at the same point in the race as we are...
As such, I felt compelled to give him a kind smile and buy a CD, which is terrible quality and is never played, but sometimes I pick it up and look at it, and thank my lucky stars that I don't have to walk those beaches with a bag of pirate CDs.

Apr 22, 2004 at 9:32 AM Post #13 of 15
SiE, yes, I respect your beliefs. I personally don't feel it wrong to download music and the like, but then, I'm not the typical downloader... I end up more albums due to stuff I never would have even heard of that I got from IRC channels. As for games, eh, being on dial-up, the only stuff I really can download is ancient stuff anyway. I think the newest I have is from the mid 90s
biggrin.gif

You know, I wonder if there's an audiophile pirate community... that'd be hilarious. Everything carefully ripped, tagged, and burned, and perhaps the Green Marker and Rainbow Foil applied.

Apr 22, 2004 at 4:23 PM Post #14 of 15
Well, accualy there IS an "audiophile pirate community"... that is if you consider eac -asp for audiophile. It's on ubernet.org and I think they use DC++, but I not sure. You need to rip in EAC to be a member though.. and save the log file.

I, unfortuantly, find myself to download most of my music. I wish I wouldn't but I really can't justify $25 for a CD, as the prices are here. I wish they would realise that the bigges reason for piracy, is these horrible prices! If I could get cd for $10-$15 I would be a happy man. Well, accualy I can @
cd-wow.com, but you know
rolleyes.gif

I also use brasso to clean bad disc, it works most of the time, though, I hat one disc, from the libary, which I couldn't get in good shape again.

Apr 22, 2004 at 4:57 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by pank2002
I, unfortuantly, find myself to download most of my music. I wish I wouldn't but I really can't justify $25 for a CD, as the prices are here. I wish they would realise that the bigges reason for piracy, is these horrible prices! If I could get cd for $10-$15 I would be a happy man. Well, accualy I can @
cd-wow.com, but you know
rolleyes.gif

Hence the name "pank..2002", right
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back