An inexpensive audio rack....at Ikea
Mar 11, 2004 at 11:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

soundboy

Headphoneus Supremus
This is not designed specifically for audio components....it's a bedside table. However, having seen it in person, it is quite sturdy. There's about 17 1/4 inches in width between the 2 sides, so most full size components with fit. It's available in a number of colors that're not even listed on the webpage. I picked the "black brown" color, which is a lot closer to black than brown. I plan on putting my turntable on top, with a CD player and integrated amp below.

23110_PE107930_S4.jpg

It's called the Corras and it's US$29.99/each (US$19.99 if in white).

Mar 12, 2004 at 12:26 AM Post #5 of 19
Know what the rest of the usable dimensions are on that? Walmart has a pretty attractive black and chrome audio rack for like $70 but it was too small for my equipment. I ended up getting a pair of Sanus racks because they were one of the only racks I could find that would actually fit Sony Megadisc changers due to the large depth (like 20 inches!!) and no middle column.

Mar 12, 2004 at 12:34 AM Post #6 of 19
Just measured it to be 17.5" wide x 17.5" long x 15.5" deep.
Length wise is adjustable (middle rack). The 17.5" measurement was by removing the middle rack. The way I have it set up gives about 8.25" length to the top shelf and 8.75" to the bottom. Hope that helps.

Mar 12, 2004 at 12:35 AM Post #7 of 19
The basic dimensions of the Corras rack is contained in the link in the initial post.

Width: 20 1/2"
Depth: 15 3/4"
Height: 22 7/8"

The inside width is about 17 1/4", which should fit my Cambridge Audio A500 integrated amp and Sony DVP-NS500P SACD/DVD player (both at 17" wide). The middle shelf is adjustable.

Mar 12, 2004 at 8:00 AM Post #8 of 19
I have a couple of the Corras bedside tables as well (in birch - light wood), one is my bedside table/headphone rig rack, and the other serves to hold sheet music by my piano. For the price it's quite nice, and I like having it on castors so I can move it closer to the desk when I'm at the computer, and then back to the bed when I'm reading.

My Sony SCD-CE775 fits perfectly on the shelf - just a little gap on either side and front to back, and with a second shelf right on top looks like it was custom fit for that spot.

Mar 12, 2004 at 8:03 AM Post #9 of 19
Looks like a fire hazard with my power amp in there
eek.gif

Mar 14, 2004 at 4:25 AM Post #11 of 19
I use the Corras myself. You can see it in this pic minus the wheels. They are extremely sturdy and work very well for audio components.

site1041.JPG

Mar 14, 2004 at 6:27 AM Post #13 of 19
Wow!! I was thinking I actually had an inexpensive component no one has found.
biggrin.gif

I just finished assembling my black-brown Corras. Very easy to assemble....couple of screwdrivers are really all you need, although I recommend a power screwdriver/drill would be handy if you are putting on the wheels.

My Cambridge Audio A500 goes in perfectly. The top will be occupied by my Technics SL-BD20 turntable. Damn!! Need phono pre-amp now
rolleyes.gif

If your component is 17 inches wide or less, the Corras would be a great inexpensive audio rack. Make sure your component doesn't have vents on the sides though.

Jun 3, 2004 at 7:39 AM Post #14 of 19
IKEA's website says this item is "only available in our stores" -- did you people all go and pick yours up? I don't think there's an IKEA anywhere near me. Also, I didn't see the "black brown" color anywhere.

Jun 3, 2004 at 8:03 AM Post #15 of 19
You in Chicago now? If so ,there's one in Shaumburg about 35 miles outside the city.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back