An headphone amp that can be used to drive active monitors (or the other way around).
Sep 3, 2009 at 8:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Mr C

100+ Head-Fier
Hi I'm looking for an amp that would be able to drive hd600/580 decently but that would also do a good job driving these:
KRK RP5 ROKIT G2 - U.K. International Cyberstore

I'm getting these speakers for free but I dont have a real amp at so I dont have anything to drive them.

My budget would be 500$ max.

I'd probably get a real dac later too.

Sep 3, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #2 of 9
They are bi-amped already, you don't need an amp for them, it might even be bad for them since you'll overdrive the inputs. Get yourself a nice headphone amp for the Sens and somekind of a source switcher (ie two inputs into one) and use it in reverse(one input into two outputs)..

Sep 3, 2009 at 9:38 PM Post #3 of 9
My friend was using some sort of device to connect his pc to these but had problems with it, dyou know some sort of dac that has 2 outputs and could be used in my case?

Sep 4, 2009 at 5:05 AM Post #5 of 9
I think what you want is a preamp/headphone amplifier. Most active speakers do have volume knobs, but each speaker has it's own and they're usually on the back. That means changing the volume is gonna be a nuisance.

A preamp will solve that problem. You set both amps to a reasonable level of ampage(?) and then use the preamp to change volume easily. So just look for a preamp with a headphone out or a headphone amp with preamp outs.

Hope this helps!

Sep 4, 2009 at 5:26 AM Post #6 of 9
Just a thought... if you're entertaining the possibility of getting a DAC why not save up just a tat more and spring for a DAC that has a preamp and headphone amp built in? If it were my nickle I'd save up and get a used Benchmark DAC1. You can pick these up on Audiogon for ~$700 provided you do not need a USB input on your DAC. I've seen them as low as $675.

There are other options such as the Grace M902, Apogee Mini Dac, LavryDA11, etc. but those are not as prevalent on the used market and their price as new start creeping away further from your stated budget.

Sep 4, 2009 at 5:54 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by TreAdidas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a thought... if you're entertaining the possibility of getting a DAC why not save up just a tat more and spring for a DAC that has a preamp and headphone amp built in? If it were my nickle I'd save up and get a used Benchmark DAC1. You can pick these up on Audiogon for ~$700 provided you do not need a USB input on your DAC. I've seen them as low as $675.

There are other options such as the Grace M902, Apogee Mini Dac, LavryDA11, etc. but those are not as prevalent on the used market and their price as new start creeping away further from your stated budget.

I'd go with the recommendations above either go for a Pre-amp/headphone amp equipment or a DAC that doubles as a pre-amp/headamp.

The choices above are very good but most of them will go over and BEYOND your budget even 2nd hand.
frown.gif

But if you really have to stick to a budget. You can go for an Audio-GD Compass, Tianyu Zero or Beresford TC-7510. These DAc combos are way within your budget you can also find alot of threads discussing them here.
biggrin.gif

Second hand Pre-amps are usually cheap if unbalanced (TRS-XLR outputs) But very few might have a headphone out. One cheap one that I've tried is a Firestone Little Country 3.

Now, i'm using an RSA apache to drive my nEar05 near-field Monitors. But the Apache is really way beyond your budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back