1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

An experiment in precisely equalizing the AKG Q701 using an inverse frequency plot. AKA how I photoshop flipped the curve to counter balance and create a flat curve.

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by kodhifi, Jan 17, 2013.
  1. Kodhifi
    Q701-eq-curve.png

This should be pretty self explanatory. At the top is the original plot. On the bottom I have vertically mirrored the curve while automagically making the X and Y axis scales readable for convenience sake.

If you use EQU on the Iphone, or Electri-Q with winamp or fubar, or pretty much any equalizer that allows you to draw your own curves, and you draw that bottom curve, keeping it's shape, angles, peaks, etc, it should precisely counter balance the Q701's frequency response making it as flat as a mirror.

Photoshop work out of the way I am doing this now, I'll let you know how it sounds but one caveat is that my 701's only have about 30 hours of burn in so my frequency response is going to be different, presumably, from this plot as they aren't broken in yet. Come to think of it, when they did this plot they don't say if it was after burn in or not......

Give it a try and let me know what you think!

#Update 1
    Well...that was different. I hate it. Rather than sound clear and flat and transparent, it just sounds underwhelming, treble like, and dead. I wonder how much of that is that they aren't broken in yet so my response curve is different from the reference one?

The change in the bass response is probably 80% to blame for that. I'm thinking of making a derivative curve that doesn't play with any frequencies from 20-1000hz to keep the bass intact but moderate the midrange with the inverse still.

#Update 2
    I've dialed this in to Electri-Q now with winamp and like I learned on the Iphone, I left the bass up to 100hz unmolested but followed the inverse curve from there up. I was able to get a much finer level of EQ control with electriQ than the iphone EQu app.

I ended up lowering the region from 10-16khz by about 4db in order to weed out some sibilance and sparkle and I'm currently listening to The Dave Brubeck Quartet performing "Take five" and I have to say, this sounds pretty damned good. The cymbals sound crisp with not a hint of wishy washy you get with colored upper midrange or bad mp3 compression. The bass is present but not over powered, the sound stage is incredibly open and in general I would say the sound with EQ is an improvement in transparancy than without it, which the ultimate goal for me in EQ work, to make the EQ sound invisible and for the cans to sound colored without it, not with it.

q701electri-qreferencecurve.png