An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
Mar 9, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #32 of 9,499
My wife is rather hot. I'd be happy if she stayed at home and took care of the house all day... naked. Maybe of she did that I wouldn't need a hobby. :wink:

Also, they have to leave the kitchen, how else will they do the laundry or clean the bathrooms? :eek:

Mar 9, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #33 of 9,499
@ OP

Perhaps she wants you to get the HD 800 and not the Beyer T1? Maybe she doesn't think that the T1 is worth the $1k price? 
biggrin.gif

Nevertheless, being young and wifeless and all that, this makes me realize that I gotta find a girl that will accept my hobby.

Jokes aside, I think your wife should respect your space and let you 'breathe', getting pissed off over some hobby is pretty unreasonable. It's not like we are talking about smoking, gambling or drug addiction....

Mar 10, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #34 of 9,499

Quote:
I don't allow my wife to speak or leave the kitchen. No that I'm sexist, she just has a really deep voice and makes incredible sandwiches.

lol'ed

Quote:
My wife is rather hot. I'd be happy if she stayed at home and took care of the house all day... naked. Maybe of she did that I wouldn't need a hobby.
wink.gif

Also, they have to leave the kitchen, how else will they do the laundry or clean the bathrooms?
eek.gif

OH GOD EVEN BETTER

Mar 10, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #35 of 9,499
I told my wife the same thing, but she didn't find it as amusing for some reason.

Mar 10, 2012 at 3:34 PM Post #36 of 9,499
Out of site, out of mind.

Do you have any other place you could have your packages shipped to besides your house?
Just need to provide your credit card companies with that alternative address.
Just bring it into the house when she is not around.

Keep you audio stuff in an out of the way place, like in cabinets when your not using them.
Do not talk to her about your audio stuff unless she asks about it, keep answers to a minimum.

Mar 10, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #37 of 9,499
Awwww yeah it's like cheating on her, but with audio equipment

Mar 11, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #38 of 9,499
Growing up poor does leave its marks on a person. Go with the hobby angle. Hobbies don't have to make sense, don't need explanation. She must have some stuff that's not 100% functional, though to be honest, the equivalency argument just about never works.

growing up poor in the U.S is like growing up as a king in a third world country. i think it has to be more how someone handles themselves and how they look at things in life. it has nothing on how they grew up. yea,with certain people maybe but it's the individual after they reach a certain age learns how to coupe with the difficulties in life and how to handle a specific situation. that's how we learn.

Mar 11, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #39 of 9,499

Quote:
I don't allow my wife to speak or leave the kitchen. No that I'm sexist, she just has a really deep voice and makes incredible sandwiches.

LMAO

Quote:
My wife is rather hot. I'd be happy if she stayed at home and took care of the house all day... naked. Maybe of she did that I wouldn't need a hobby.
wink.gif

Also, they have to leave the kitchen, how else will they do the laundry or clean the bathrooms?
eek.gif

hahahaha - made my day :D
THIS MADE MY DAY

Quote:
OH GOD EVEN BETTER

+1

@Magick Man - As you already did - talking it over is the best way.
My girlfriend has never really asked me to stop so to speak - but then again, things I buy...I buy sensibly - I wouldn't buy £500 earphones for no reason -> but that's me -> I know how you guy here on head-fi are like 
tongue.gif

Well anyway, like anything in life, noting in life is perfect, us included. If you have an "addiction" in shopping for audio, and if your wife/gf or whoever it is complains, I bet that you could EASILY spot out what they waste their money on
And once you find that "easy target" its like shooting a sitting duck.

My example that got my gf to stop asking "why are you buying more" was:
I enjoy it, and the money you spend on that purse that you won't wear, on those clothes that will be "out of fashion" in 2 weeks - I spend my money wisely, and more so, I can sell on (for a little loss) the items on, whereas you, my dear can't.

I can't really justify spending £720 in under 2 months...but gosh I'm I glad of the money I've spent so far - I'm not looking back - even though that figure looks and is huge for your ordinary joe - i personally find it "well spent"

Mar 11, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #40 of 9,499
I'm no psychologist, but getting so worked up over that when it aint no biggie, maybe they're angry about something else? With themselves or angry at you over something? Whether they're aware of it or not.............

To some guys spending money on "Decorations" is clutter
tongue_smile.gif

I always wondered how those guys with giant speakers and double cylindrical SVS subs got away with it
bigsmile_face.gif
I even saw a guy who had dual CRT projectors in his theater, with heavy duty beams holding those suckers in place, i wondered if he had a WAF factor of his own around

^ NEver understood the ones with tons of clothes/jewelry calling people out for "Wasting" money

Mar 11, 2012 at 9:51 PM Post #41 of 9,499
growing up poor in the U.S is like growing up as a king in a third world country. i think it has to be more how someone handles themselves and how they look at things in life. it has nothing on how they grew up. yea,with certain people maybe but it's the individual after they reach a certain age learns how to coupe with the difficulties in life and how to handle a specific situation. that's how we learn.

It's contextual. Though it's completely true that poor people here have a lot more stuff and a lot safer lives than poor people in other countries (I just blogged about this elsewhere), it doesn't mean that being poor in a rich country, that has a national narrative that stigmatizes the poor, won't have an effect. Comparing poverty across cultures and societies is an apples and rutabaga sort of thing.

Mar 12, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #42 of 9,499

Not to go into too much detail, she did spend over 8 years in the foster care system, and before that had lived in the Atlanta projects. She had a bad time of things, so being a little alarmed over >$1000 headphones I suppose isn't a really big deal. :wink:

Besides, wait until I get my Stax SR-007s at some point. hehehe

Mar 12, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #43 of 9,499
My dad once told me, "You can be right, or you can be happy" when it comes to marriages.

Mar 12, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #44 of 9,499
My dad once told me, "You can be right, or you can be happy" when it comes to marriages.

Unless you're the wife. Damn, they have it made, don't they? :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back