an amp for my future k702's
Jul 24, 2009 at 12:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Sherlock19

100+ Head-Fier
Okay well i am seriously considering a new amp if i purchase the k702's because right now i have the meier corda move which they have updated and i use it for my grado s-60. So i was wondering if you guys had any sugestions for the best bang for my buck that would fully and utterly blow me away on the k702's? thanks in advance guys
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 24, 2009 at 1:55 PM Post #2 of 24
Also, would a dac be necessary? i am going to be using them off of my Lenovo X 61 laptop if that helps, mabye i could grab another amp/dac like my previous corda move...who knows all suggestions are recommended

Jul 24, 2009 at 3:06 PM Post #3 of 24
I highly recommend my rig - from laptop run through an ibasso d10 Cobra dac/amp (can be used as a stand alone as well with k702s quite nicely) - then into the Little Dot mkIII. I've had a great time trying new tubes on the Little Dot - and my k701s sound incredible through the LD!

Jul 24, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #4 of 24
wow looks awesome although idk if i am willing to spend 1000 dollars on a new setup lol any further suggestions?

Jul 24, 2009 at 4:31 PM Post #5 of 24
The Hifiman / Head-Direct EF2 is probably one of the best, if not the best, bang for buck DAC/amp combos out there. I don't know much about the quality of the DAC (info is out there, I just haven't read it), but the amp section is supposed to be very similar to the EF1 which I enjoy a lot with K701s.

Jul 25, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #7 of 24
people piss and moan about the K701 having no bass and punch. powered with my M3, the AKGs have plenty of bass to do justice with dub and electronica. it's a fantastic combo.

the y-1 is an excellent DAC for the money. not as good as my Benchmark DAC1, but at 1/10th the price, i have no complaints. i wonder if the y-2 will be able to bridge the gap?

Jul 25, 2009 at 11:04 PM Post #8 of 24
hmm after a while being inactive on the site, i am sorry to bother you all but i have been doing a lot of searching around and although not sure which type yet i think an iem will be my next purchase, my grado sr-60 with my corda move will have to suffice untill i get something going on my portable end of the spectrum, thanks anyway.

Jul 26, 2009 at 1:43 AM Post #10 of 24
zombie x were you talking about iems or my previous statement about a headphone amp? if about iems no more that 5? and thats definite and if about a headphone amp please read my post prior to this one thank you.

Jul 26, 2009 at 3:16 AM Post #11 of 24
Well both actually. If we all know your budget we can then go from there and pick out a good ones that won't break the bank or so to speak.

From my experience the Graham Slee NOVO, Musical Fidelity X-CanV8P, and CIAudio VHP-2 all sound very nice with the K701. Preferably you would like one with a high current output as well as high wattage output. You also need a decent size voltage swing.

the NOVO and VHP-2 do a good job but the V8P seems to do better as it meets these requirements. The VHP-2 does a better job with the K701 then the Novo IMO. The VHP-2 has a far higher output current which the K701 crave.

the prices of the units are:

1) Graham Slee NOVO - $460
2) Musical Fidelity X-CanV8P - $500
3) CIAudio VHP-2 - $400

Jul 26, 2009 at 3:21 AM Post #12 of 24
IF you get the K702

and

IF you are wanting an amp that will keep a smile on your face every time you turn it on

Put a grand away and look for a deal during this time of hardship. At that level, a source will be crucial to the full measure of both amp and headphone's performance.

Jul 26, 2009 at 3:38 AM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IF you get the K702

and

IF you are wanting an amp that will keep a smile on your face every time you turn it on

Put a grand away and look for a deal during this time of hardship. At that level, a source will be crucial to the full measure of both amp and headphone's performance.

So true I heard them on a SPL Phonitor and they sounded amazing,but look at the price of that thing. If I had the money I'd take the plunge for sure.

Jul 26, 2009 at 3:58 AM Post #14 of 24
The K701 isn't really my cup of tea, but it sounds damn good on the Phoenix. I'm curious as to how it would sound balanced but I wouldn't have that chance since I'll be moving on to K1000 + tubes.

Jul 26, 2009 at 6:21 AM Post #15 of 24
Wait for the impressions of the 702's with my Darkvoice 336se tomorrow from the Seattle meet. We were really surprised at the combo at the last Seattle meet. I liked it more than the Senn 650's at the last meet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back