Ampsandsound Red October Tube Amp
Jun 15, 2022 at 8:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

DJJEZ

1000+ Head-Fier
I wanted to start a new thread on this amp as its Justin weber's flagship tube amp @ampsandsound and deserves a place in this part of the forum.

I recently just got one and will try my best to describe it after I have spent way more time with it but for now here's info on the amp and some pics of mine.

I have also swapped out the gold lion 300B's for Western Electric 300B's and there is a very noticeable increase in detail/resolution and imaging.

https://ampsandsound.com/collections/headphone-amps/products/red-october

The Red October its our new flagship Personal Audio Tubed Integrated Amplifier.
Like the Nautilus, the Red October started as a personal project. It was not confined to a price point, and was not built for the masses, but instead the Red October was built to be the very best amplifier we were capable of building. We took every lesson we learned from the Nautilus, and we applied those lessons to the most legendary tube in the audio world, the 300B.
People love the 300B for its true to life vocal representation and it’s sense of clarity and space, it is the ultimate Directed Heated Triode. The Red October incorporates this famous tube in a circuit that traces its roots back to the Agartha, however instead of a circuit board implementation the Red October is entirely hand assembled using point to point wiring and turret board constriction. Every component is hand selected and chosen for performance: Jupiter foil wax coupling capacitors and an excellent 24 step stepped attenuator are standard, the Red October has no compromises. Our skilled team assembles each unit entirely by hand. There is not a single IC, voltage regulator, or silicon chip in the Red October, this amplifier is built in accordance to classic techniques and will last a lifetime because of it.

Our goal with the Red October was to honor the 300B, to do so we did a classic implementation with a single gain stage, zero feedback, and close attention to grounding techniques. The result is a deeper connection with your music, and an inky black background on headphones with no hum noise.

The font end of the Red October uses a 12AX7 as an input tube. We chose this 9 pin high gain front end due to its ability to deliver a faster and more lively presentation. It also helps that 12AX7s are accessible in both old and new stock form. The front end of this amp is paired with a massive tube rectified dual mono power supply that ensures tight bass and earth shattering slam on any headphone you plug into this amplifier.
While the Red October may look like a single amplifier, it is actually true dual mono amplifier built on top of a single chassis. The only shared components is the input tube, volume control, and output jacks. The power supply, power transformers, output transformers, and even the turret boards are all separate. The result is class leading mono block performance with the convenience and ease of a single chassis.
When people talk about ampsandsound products, they often talk about our transformers. The Red October uses the best transformers we have ever developed. The power transformers are massively over spec’d and the output transformers have an incredibly wide bandwidth and provide the Red October with shockingly low distortion measurements given its single ended nature.

Like the transformers we have taken great pride in our metal work. The Chassis is hand fabricated and built with 10 gauge steel. The result is a 68 pound amplifier that feels solid as a rock. To give the Red October a clean look, we covered the transformers and power supply with a gorgeous damped cover.
While many things set the Red October apart from its peers, its most unique feature is the different output impedances, 5 in total. Unlike others who use voltage divider networks to create these different impedances, our transformers are wound with taps for each impedance. The result is the ability to perfect match the Red October with nearly every single production pair headphones in existence (as well as speakers). This also gives the Red October five distinct sonic profiles for every headphone allowing the listener to choose what sounds best to them.

We call the Red October a tub integrated amplifier for personal audio use because it also contains a speaker switch and a pair of 8ohm binding posts on the back. With 8 watts of power, the Red October can easily power a reasonably efficient pair of speaker to deafening levels. The speaker selection switch allows you to select between the headphone outputs and the speaker outputs enabling the Red October to truly be the center of your audio system.
When it comes time to connect your components to the Red October, you have two choices, a pair of high quality single ended RCA inputs, and a pair of XLR inputs. The XLR inputs us a input transformer to convert the incoming balanced signal to a single ended signal for the amplifier. The input transformer allows you to retain all the benefits of balanced cabling along with providing better bass and a quieter background.

The Red October is everything we could have hoped it to be. It is truly a marvel to behold, and we are proud to call it our new flagship amplifier.

Input sensitive: with 12AX7 input @ 2V P-P
Noise: @ 300ohm/HiZ 1.1mV RMS
Noise: @ 100ohm 1.1mV RMS
Noise: @ 32ohm 650mV RMS
Noise: @ 8ohm LoZ 530mV RMS
Max Power @ 8ohm @ 8 watts RMS
Max Power @ 32ohm @ 6.2= watts RMS
Ultra-wide bandwidth; 10hz to 24khz @ 1 watt -2db

Compatible with nearly every headphone.
Power and Noise specs are dependent on tube selection.

Actual size is 17.5"wide, 14.5"deep, 7" tall
Amp weighs in at 68lbs/93lbs shipped in a large Pelican style case.
Black base/Matte chrome cover.
Additional colors are possible as a special order... please call or email for details.
The all ampsandsound amps are handmade in Southern California with custom hand-wound output transformers and U.S. sourced parts.
Our amps are handmade by a small team, with quality being our first priority.

Price: $12,000

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2022 at 8:46 PM Post #2 of 13
Looking forward to comparisons with your WA33 EE JPS :L3000:

Jun 15, 2022 at 9:31 PM Post #3 of 13
Jul 7, 2022 at 12:16 AM Post #5 of 13
How does it compare to a Woo Audio Wa5? My Wa5 made me love the 300b sound, I wonder how different this amp implementation makes the 300b sound.

Jul 7, 2022 at 12:20 AM Post #6 of 13
Alright, it’s been 3 weeks DJ… what’s the verdict?!?! 😁

Jul 7, 2022 at 12:38 AM Post #7 of 13
Following for future reference since Justin is a good friend and I love to hear people talking about his stuff :)

Feb 25, 2023 at 7:44 PM Post #9 of 13
Heard this amp today at can jam nyc at the Audeze setup with an LCD 5. I asked him about the amp before putting in the headphones, I remember him describing the sound in a few different words and called it meaty.

After listening, I definitely agree with him. It sounded better than a may bliss combo. I tried the 4z and my Meze Elites. The elites came close but the pairing they had with the 5s was special.

Feb 25, 2023 at 7:52 PM Post #10 of 13
Too bad we can’t get his thoughts. I have the wa33 elite w/jps and it’s fantastic but would love to hear a comparison.

Feb 25, 2023 at 7:58 PM Post #11 of 13
Heard this amp today at can jam nyc at the Audeze setup with an LCD 5. I asked him about the amp before putting in the headphones, I remember him describing the sound in a few different words and called it meaty.

After listening, I definitely agree with him. It sounded better than a may bliss combo. I tried the 4z and my Meze Elites. The elites came close but the pairing they had with the 5s was special.
Are you sure it wasn't a red nautilus? I haven't seen any pics of a red october at NYC canjam. This is the nautilus they have at canjam.

Jan 15, 2024 at 2:27 AM Post #12 of 13
It seems that there are very few Red October owners out in the wild, but want wanted to hopefully revive this thread to give me some suggestion on tube rolling.

Got some WE300Bs in today and currently burning them in, but interested if anyone has tried any 274B rectifiers in their Red October?

Some gratuity WE300B Red October photos...
57TfzdD.jpg

Gpa2BgP.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2024 at 11:34 AM Post #13 of 13
I asked that question to Justin and he replied back that older 274b won't work. I got the WE422a as well as Amperex GZ34 metal base and both sound great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back