ampsandsound (aka Amps & Sound)
Sep 29, 2019 at 10:50 PM Post #286 of 1,244
I'm waiting for the Pendant to arrive Zach is throwing in the higher end tubes but I'm trying to decide If I should start with the standard tubes then move up? This will be my first real experience with tubes, I don't count the Pro Ican as a real tube amp, Kinda see the size of them makes me think that.

Sep 29, 2019 at 10:58 PM Post #287 of 1,244
Definitely try both sets for at least a day or more to let them burn in a bit and for you to get a bead on their signatures. Not sure it matters which order -- theoretically you should hear a difference either way. Congrats on the new amp!

Sep 29, 2019 at 11:10 PM Post #288 of 1,244
Definitely try both sets for at least a day or more to let them burn in a bit and for you to get a bead on their signatures. Not sure it matters which order -- theoretically you should hear a difference either way. Congrats on the new amp!
Thanks it be almost four weeks till I get it. Got to figure out how to keep my kids away from it.

Sep 29, 2019 at 11:24 PM Post #290 of 1,244
Which tubes are you burning in the Kenzie ?? I found the best were the Hytron vt37 / 1626, and the Raytheon 2c52 (I have a huge supply of both) anyone interested in an audition of said tubes I would happily support Justin by circulating a set for audition. If it turned out someone wanted a set I am sure that could be worked out as well
biggrin.gif

Hi Joe, what do you consider an huge supply? I have 7 full sets. Figure they're good for 10K hours each.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2019 at 11:33 PM Post #291 of 1,244
What do you guys do with all these sets of tubes? I'd thought you would be looking for the perfect set then sell the ones you didn't care for.

Sep 29, 2019 at 11:39 PM Post #292 of 1,244
That was a problem for me with my Kenzie. When I used a DAC with volume control I did not notice, but when I upgraded to Yggdrasil with fixed 2.0V RMS output I had limited range on the volume control: could not advance past 8 AM without output starting to become uncomfortably loud with my HD800S.

I solved the problem by using a Saga but that is one more component in the chain. I would like to recommend that Justin consider either a hi/lo gain switch like Schiit uses or change the volume control so there is more usable range using DACs with fixed volume output. Otherwise I love my Kenzie after over a year I have no urge to upgrade.

I would have the same issue using the fixed volume output from my DAC. I run DAC to preamp, and back out to the Encore. If you are streaming in with a player, you can also software control the player volume down to give the headphone amp volume control more play. The Saga is a good solution to manage volume.

Sep 29, 2019 at 11:50 PM Post #293 of 1,244
What do you guys do with all these sets of tubes? I'd thought you would be looking for the perfect set then sell the ones you didn't care for.

I have two pelican style cases full of tubes. I roll them for fun. I have three tube components, so its always good to have spares. Good fortune is that my equipment doesn't need pricey tubes. I look at them like a valued asset......I'm not going to lose money on them if I ever choose to sell them.

Nov 3, 2019 at 10:38 AM Post #294 of 1,244
I received my Pendant it's amazing it came in sea horse case. It runs hot off my DAC so I don't get much volume control on the HI Z. Justin is sending me a different gain stage tube(not familiar with names). I'm also trying to get rid of a low level hum that is audible when there is no music playing. The hum is only coming out of the HI Z output. This is my favorite amp beating my GS-X mini and V281. Justin was surprised that I that my EDM was more enjoyable on the tubes vs ss. The amp just sounds more real the ss sound artificial.

Nov 3, 2019 at 3:46 PM Post #295 of 1,244
Most dynamic headphones are very very sensitive relative to other designs.
When paired with powerful tube amps with will provide amazing slam, while still providing the body and tonal richness which is the hallmark of these amps.
The Pendant is compatible with many different 12AX*7 variety tubes. Changing to a 12AU7 will reduce the noise floor and increase the practical movement of the volume pot.
Whats great, is that changing this one tube will allow for better system matching/reduce noise floor as needed with varying sensitivity headphones.

Nov 3, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #296 of 1,244
I did some research and it was stated there could be noise with brand new tubes. I think the hum turns off once the source starts sending audio. Looking forward to that tube Justin and thank you for paying for it. My best experience in customer service comes from Ampsandsound for actually talking to the owner on a Saturday night and ZMF for always making sure everything is fine. I wonder when they take a day off.

Nov 3, 2019 at 5:08 PM Post #297 of 1,244
I'm powering my HE6se with good results still think they require lots more power for same bass performance as I get with the VO and Empyrean. I normally power the HE6se with emotive XPA 7 gen 2 with 200 watts rms, sourced from XMC 1 as the DAC. Though I'm very impressed how the Pendant handles this headphone. I'm planning on selling some of my ss.

Nov 3, 2019 at 6:05 PM Post #299 of 1,244
The Pendant to my ears is better then the mini. I listen to mainly electronic music. Don't get wrong I won't be selling my mini as it's my favorite solid state.

Nov 9, 2019 at 12:36 AM Post #300 of 1,244
Recently installed some NOS tubes. I can barely read the brand so I'm not. They sound excellent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back