ampsandsound (aka Amps & Sound)
Aug 23, 2019 at 10:27 AM Post #271 of 1,234
One week update with the Pendant. I am surprised this amp doesn't get more attention here. My initial impressions have not changed, as a matter of fact, the more time I spend with this beauty, the more I like it. The volume knob, while limited to 9:00 and below due to output power, offers plenty of control, is quiet and perfectly balanced even at low levels. Tonality is just right (rich with just the perfect amount of tube liquidity) when used with both Verite and Auteur. Bass impact, slam and note differentiation is excellent. Treble is extended and realistic. Midrange is wonderful. The step up in all areas when moving from my BHCS (which has nice, big caps & NOS tubes) is instantly noticeable. This is a true high end piece, the kind that makes one not want to stop listening. Quite addictive.

Aug 23, 2019 at 11:34 AM Post #272 of 1,234
One week update with the Pendant. I am surprised this amp doesn't get more attention here. My initial impressions have not changed, as a matter of fact, the more time I spend with this beauty, the more I like it. The volume knob, while limited to 9:00 and below due to output power, offers plenty of control, is quiet and perfectly balanced even at low levels. Tonality is just right (rich with just the perfect amount of tube liquidity) when used with both Verite and Auteur. Bass impact, slam and note differentiation is excellent. Treble is extended and realistic. Midrange is wonderful. The step up in all areas when moving from my BHCS (which has nice, big caps & NOS tubes) is instantly noticeable. This is a true high end piece, the kind that makes one not want to stop listening. Quite addictive.
Awesome! This is my next amp, and I have already started saving up. I really think this is my endgame amp, and you just confirmed it even more. Thanks! I also do not get why this amp does not get talked about much. It seems the Glenn OTL gets all the attention with the ZMF dynamics, which I am sure is killer, but I still want the Pendant. I really like the idea of using 12au7's with the Pendant, as I have all the greats already, for the BHC Speedball. I plan to reach out to Zach, and talk more about the Pendant, soon.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2019 at 11:59 AM Post #273 of 1,234
Awesome! This is my next amp, and I have already started saving up. I really think this is my endgame amp, and you just confirmed it even more. Thanks! I also do not get why this amp does not get talked about much. It seems the Glenn OTL gets all the attention with the ZMF dynamics, which I am sure is killer, but I still want the Pendant. I really like the idea of using 12au7's with the Pendant, as I have all the greats already, for the BHC Speedball. I plan to reach out to Zach, and talk more about the Pendant, soon.

I think you are going to love this amp. The synergy with the ZMF phones is exceptional. The sound quality of this amp is actually closer to my Allnic 3000 than it is to my BHCS.

Aug 23, 2019 at 12:09 PM Post #274 of 1,234
I think you are going to love this amp. The synergy with the ZMF phones is exceptional. The sound quality of this amp is actually closer to my Allnic 3000 than it is to my BHCS.
Awesome! Time to start selling some gear, so I can get that amp sooner.

Aug 23, 2019 at 1:29 PM Post #275 of 1,234
Awesome! Time to start selling some gear, so I can get that amp sooner.

Yah you will be really happy with the Pendent or really any of Justin's amps (owner of AmpsandSound), I have heard his entire line (with the exception of the Kenzie Encore and Leeloo Monos) and own the Suolo Monos and the Mogwai SE, they are all end game worthy. Might even add another one of his amps to my collection soon.

Aug 27, 2019 at 9:51 PM Post #277 of 1,234
Just rolled in a new tube today! The Cifte 12au7 is a fantastic tube with the Pendant. Increased detail and treble information as well as better spatial cues. All with exceptional midrange and deep, controlled bass.

IMG_1874.jpg

Aug 28, 2019 at 11:29 AM Post #278 of 1,234
I have been a fan of Justin Weber & Ampsandsound from the beginning. I first heard his name on the Klipsch forum, from there we began our association (friendship). I contacted Justin because I was in a position where only Headphones were possible in my living space. After a brief discussion I bought his 2nd SE84 (First Version) it was quite petite in structure but it offered a HUGE sound, Very Musical. I have bought 4 more of Justins amps in the interim All of which were fantastic amps in there own right.

Enter my latest dealing with Justin the MOGWAI this was Justins personal amp as you may imagine it has all the bells and whistles, Like the input CineMag Transformers. 2 Years ago I was finally able to get back to speakers, I had turned my back on headphones. I was concentrating fully on the speaker aspect of audio, I built a respectable system surrounding my DIY open Baffles with which I am very HAPPY. I thought headphones were a thing of the past. Justin offered to sell his personal Mogwai and from all the press I thought why not all his other amps were great and It has speaker taps.

Mogwai offers 3 wpc in either speaker taps or Headphones (no dividing network) it should drive my single drivers with ease. The Mogwai came packed in Justins usual over the top packing fashions took me 20 minutes and a few choice swears to see the actual amp. (I Love that). Of course I tried the amp first with my main speakers and while it performed admirably I knew rather quickly I would keep my Decware SE84c monos in that position. I no longer have good or even decent headphones, what I do have is a pair of highly regarded (Rightfully so) Final Audio E2000 IEM

Mogwai is OVERKILL but what the hell, both are here and no harm can come to either. I have spent several hours now with that combination to my wife's chagrin I am now on the hunt for proper headphones. (that speaks volumes to me alone). I was not prepared for the experience I was about to have with Mogwai. For me music needs to pull out emotion if it cannot I tend to be underwhelmed, I also live for PRAT and realism. I want the performer in my room singing to me & me alone. I want to have involuntary movement, spontaneously get up and do a dance, play my air Drums & Guitar. I absolutely Love it when the little remaining hair on the back of my neck stands up and sends a shiver down my spine.

The Mogwai has done all that but there's more I was actually shocked last night playing Neal Diamond "I am I said" I got very emotional to the point tears actually welled up in my eyes. The song triggered something in me that it failed to do on my speaker setup. Stevie wonders Superstition had me up on my feet acting like a fool to the delight of our boys & my wife. The Mogwai offers as I expected a superb balanced sound extended bass and treble (though never harsh) , and a glorious tube mid range. I never expected to be brought to tears and forced to look at headphones yet again.

For me there are no downsides when it comes to sound using the Mogwai. Thank you so much Justin Mogwai is a grand slam my friend.

Sep 2, 2019 at 4:52 PM Post #279 of 1,234
Happy new member of the A&S club! Truth be told, it wasn't planned. Owning the Abyss 1266 Phi, I knew I needed an amp that wouldn't hold this headphone back. I was afraid a traditional tube amp might not do that. I listen to a lot of electronic music, so drive, bass slam and PRaT are essentials. I thought that a tube amp might be slow, overly warm and syrupy, or just plain lacking in power. I've been through nine amps so far, and for various reasons, didn't really like of any of them in the long run. A few were popular with other Abyss owners: Violectric V281, Wells Audio Milo and the Cayin iHA-6. At one point I even auditioned the $4100 Allnic 3000 GT based on another Abyss owners recommendation.

A few weeks ago I saw the SE-84 for sale here. I did some research and read how it was @ampsandsound personal amp, and previously owned by @joespride . It evidently had enough power so long story short, I took a chance. Wow. This thing is fantastic with the Abyss! All my fears were put to rest pretty quickly. Plenty of power, drive and PRaT. Bass is there when needed. And the soundstage -- I've never heard any amp with this much width, depth and presence. Very happy camper here, and happy to own this bad boy. In fact, it seems to be the perfect complement to the Abyss. The Abyss is super fast and neutral. It can, however, tend toward having bright/edgy highs and a tad thin in the mids. The SE-84 addresses both of those beautifully. Great match. And tube rolling is a bonus.

A quick shot of my rig (I'm limited to a bookshelf to shove all my gear into). The SE-84 is bottom right. Had to place it sideways to fit! Thankfully all the inputs and outputs are on the top plate, or this wouldn't have worked at all.

A&S.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2019 at 5:20 PM Post #280 of 1,234
"A few weeks ago I saw the SE-84 for sale here. I did some research and read how it was @ampsandsound personal amp, and previously owned by @joespride . It evidently had enough power so long story short, I took a chance. Wow. This thing is fantastic with the Abyss! All my fears were put to rest pretty quickly. Plenty of power, drive and PRaT. Bass is there when needed. And the soundstage -- I've never heard any amp with this much width, depth and presence. Very happy camper here, and happy to own this bad boy. In fact, it seems to be the perfect complement to the Abyss. The Abyss is super fast and neutral. It can, however, tend toward having bright/edgy highs and a tad thin in the mids. The SE-84 addresses both of those beautifully. Great match. And tube rolling is a bonus.

A quick shot of my rig (I'm limited to a bookshelf to shove all my gear into). The SE-84 is bottom right. Had to place it sideways to fit! Thankfully all the inputs and outputs are on the top plate, or this wouldn't have worked at all.

[/QUOTE] It looks like Matt put a cover over the transformer right behind the tubes. (Unless its just the picture) Did he share any info with you concerning that ?

Sep 2, 2019 at 5:26 PM Post #281 of 1,234
^ That thing is just a RFI/EMI blocker (supposedly) I put there. Truthfully, it's a pretty lame tweak. But I use it as a sort of weight over the transformers of amps I own, and bc I have it and don't know what else to do with it :)

Sep 2, 2019 at 7:15 PM Post #282 of 1,234
^ That thing is just a RFI/EMI blocker (supposedly) I put there. Truthfully, it's a pretty lame tweak. But I use it as a sort of weight over the transformers of amps I own, and bc I have it and don't know what else to do with it :)

Got it. Thanks for the info. Enjoy that amp. I wonder if the amp would be improved with Justins input trannies. I wish I could hear my mogwai with & without. I will have to suffer with hearing with input trannies. My HD800 are supposed to deliver Wed. Hoping that will be a good day though I do not put any stock in Fedex actually delivering. Fingers officially crossed.

Sep 2, 2019 at 10:21 PM Post #284 of 1,234
Happy new member of the A&S club! Truth be told, it wasn't planned. Owning the Abyss 1266 Phi, I knew I needed an amp that wouldn't hold this headphone back. I was afraid a traditional tube amp might not do that. I listen to a lot of electronic music, so drive, bass slam and PRaT are essentials. I thought that a tube amp might be slow, overly warm and syrupy, or just plain lacking in power. I've been through nine amps so far, and for various reasons, didn't really like of any of them in the long run. A few were popular with other Abyss owners: Violectric V281, Wells Audio Milo and the Cayin iHA-6. At one point I even auditioned the $4100 Allnic 3000 GT based on another Abyss owners recommendation.

A few weeks ago I saw the SE-84 for sale here. I did some research and read how it was @ampsandsound personal amp, and previously owned by @joespride . It evidently had enough power so long story short, I took a chance. Wow. This thing is fantastic with the Abyss! All my fears were put to rest pretty quickly. Plenty of power, drive and PRaT. Bass is there when needed. And the soundstage -- I've never heard any amp with this much width, depth and presence. Very happy camper here, and happy to own this bad boy. In fact, it seems to be the perfect complement to the Abyss. The Abyss is super fast and neutral. It can, however, tend toward having bright/edgy highs and a tad thin in the mids. The SE-84 addresses both of those beautifully. Great match. And tube rolling is a bonus.

I am sad to see it go, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. It was the best amp I ever heard! I am super happy it went to you my friend!

Sep 2, 2019 at 10:26 PM Post #285 of 1,234
Any concern from heat build up inside the cabinet. I have an Encore and the tubes do get pretty warm.

There's pretty good clearance and air in there. Plus there are only three tubes: 2x EL84 and 1x 12A_7 type, so not too bad heat-wise.

I am sad to see it go, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. It was the best amp I ever heard! I am super happy it went to you my friend!
Thanks again. Could not have asked for a better transaction. Strayngs is the man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back