ampsandsound (aka Amps & Sound)
Apr 1, 2018 at 12:35 AM Post #166 of 1,234
I would skip the multibit, I had 1 here and ended up with a headache in under 1 hour, very fatiguing. The Electrocompanient is the only D/S upsampling DAC i have ever liked, Several years ago I had the EMC 1 Cd Player and was astounded how vinyl like it sounded. I have kept a weather eye out for one ever since selling. 2 weeks ago this dac (which is the same dac as in the players) popped up on A-gon under a grand I could not pass up the opportunity to try one. It ousted My long time reference MHDT Havana upgraded, and a Red Wine Bellina Reference. They both sounded great but my setup is at a whole new level. I am sure there are better DACs out there I am also positive one would cost MUCH MUCH MORE and for how much improvement ?
Sounds like a nice deal. I've honestly never heard a D/S DAC that sounds like you're describing, but I'd love to. Partly why I went over to NOS. Makes me curious about the ECD-1 and maybe ECD-2 as well though I'll probably stick with my Onyx

By the way, did the price on that dozen Tung Sol 12SL7 listing go up? I thought it was under $200 before, but now it's $275? PM'd you a few days ago if you still wanna go in on those. Might not be worth it anymore unless they're willing to go lower?

Apr 1, 2018 at 11:02 AM Post #167 of 1,234
Yes the seller increased the price, I am not willing to spend the new $$$ and frankly I am so happy with the sound I have now I am thinking my tube rolling is over. If you were close enough I would let you audition the DAC...............Joe

Apr 1, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #168 of 1,234
Yes the seller increased the price, I am not willing to spend the new $$$ and frankly I am so happy with the sound I have now I am thinking my tube rolling is over. If you were close enough I would let you audition the DAC...............Joe
It's great to be happy with what you have and not have the urge to keep looking for something that may or may not be better for you out there. I plan on trying things I find cheap enough if they look interesting or are a different brand, but I am pretty content with my current setup. Some of the 12SL7s I see around are a lot shorter or taller. There are the coin base ones as well. Seems worth a shot if they're $10-15 each.

Where are you located? I'm assuming not around Boston, MA.

Apr 1, 2018 at 1:17 PM Post #169 of 1,234
Anyone got some pointers on tube advice for the Mogwai SE?

I was thinking starting off on:
- 6550s Tung Sol variant for the output slots (would really like some good options here, these seem kinda hard to source)
- 6SL7 RCA grey glass / Sylvania JAN for the input slot
- 5u4g RCA black plates=<1943 for the rectifier slot

Apr 1, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #170 of 1,234
Anyone got some pointers on tube advice for the Mogwai SE?

I was thinking starting off on:
- 6550s Tung Sol variant for the output slots (would really like some good options here, these seem kinda hard to source)
- 6SL7 RCA grey glass / Sylvania JAN for the input slot
- 5u4g RCA black plates=<1943 for the rectifier slot

I believe stock tubes for the Mogwai SE are JJ KT88s, JJ 6SL7 and new Mullard GZ34. May have changed but I think Justin uses Mullard 5AR4 (expensive!) rectifier, Tung-Sol 6L6GC STR power and input JJ 6SL7 on his personal amp. Power output on the 6L6GC STR is half of KT88 I think take into consideration.

Some Mogwai SE owners like NOS 6550 tubes and Cossor rectifier. Before you drop too much money on tubes I would call or email Justin and ask for his recommendation based on your phones and SQ preference.

If you really want the Tung Sol 6550 suggest you get these before someone else does. Tubes noted as (!!!!) are top SQ and tend to sell fast.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #171 of 1,234
I believe stock tubes for the Mogwai SE are JJ KT88s, JJ 6SL7 and new Mullard GZ34. May have changed but I think Justin uses Mullard 5AR4 (expensive!) rectifier, Tung-Sol 6L6GC STR power and input JJ 6SL7 on his personal amp. Power output on the 6L6GC STR is half of KT88 I think take into consideration.

Some Mogwai SE owners like NOS 6550 tubes and Cossor rectifier. Before you drop too much money on tubes I would call or email Justin and ask for his recommendation based on your phones and SQ preference.

If you really want the Tung Sol 6550 suggest you get these before someone else does. Tubes noted as (!!!!) are top SQ and tend to sell fast.
Do these Tung Sol 6550 have equal power to Kt-88 tubes?

Apr 1, 2018 at 7:34 PM Post #173 of 1,234
We have alternating between the JJ 6CA7s, JJ KT88s and Sovtek 6550s.
The 6SL7 remains JJ and a pretty amazing tube all in all.
Rectification is either the Mullard 5AR4 or the EH 5U4.
Im not a fan of the JJ 5U4s.
I try to steer people to the 5u4 family initially as it offers such an abundance of NOS choices on the cheap.
The 5U4 significantly drops the power down but add a but more wetness to the sound.
There are a lot of places to roll and personalize your sound.

Now if youre going for the gusto... the 6889s with adapters is about as bad-ass NOS as they get.
Not the last work in power, but prob the tightest/cleanest bass to be had. Insane tube life too.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2018 at 8:21 PM Post #175 of 1,234
It's great to be happy with what you have and not have the urge to keep looking for something that may or may not be better for you out there. I plan on trying things I find cheap enough if they look interesting or are a different brand, but I am pretty content with my current setup. Some of the 12SL7s I see around are a lot shorter or taller. There are the coin base ones as well. Seems worth a shot if they're $10-15 each.

Where are you located? I'm assuming not around Boston, MA.

I am way down south, the southern most tip of North Carolina, A few years ago I was much closer. Working in DC, Lived in Pa. I will always be willing to listen to new setups it will take 1 hell of a sound to improve on what I hear now. I want to try OTL again They are supposed to shine with HD800, I had the Valhalla with HD650 and at times it was holographic I have a very well reviewed MicroZOTL on the way I am pretty confident it will be resold or relegated to preamp duty allowing me to have digital and vinyl at the push of a button (I am already set up like that using shiit sys, with schiit Mani) but a tube pre would be awesome Joe

Apr 2, 2018 at 11:13 AM Post #178 of 1,234

Mostly felt like doing 6550s as they seem like the most viable classic NOS full size/coke bottle option. I think NOS KT88 are a bit too hardcore for me to start out on.
Thank you so much for showing me this site and for your input, will be following the 6550s closely as well as the Cossor.
I have some weeks untill the amp is built, so not in a hurry, just need to get my bearings.

Will also try to pick up an STR pair while I am at it.

We have alternating between the JJ 6CA7s, JJ KT88s and Sovtek 6550s.
The 6SL7 remains JJ and a pretty amazing tube all in all.
Rectification is either the Mullard 5AR4 or the EH 5U4.
Im not a fan of the JJ 5U4s.
I try to steer people to the 5u4 family initially as it offers such an abundance of NOS choices on the cheap.
The 5U4 significantly drops the power down but add a but more wetness to the sound.
There are a lot of places to roll and personalize your sound.

Now if youre going for the gusto... the 6889s with adapters is about as bad-ass NOS as they get.
Not the last work in power, but prob the tightest/cleanest bass to be had. Insane tube life too.

How much of a power drop comes with NOS 5U4s compared to 5AR4s (I am too new to this to math it)?
Do you have like a compatability list for the amp?
Will it take 274B type tubes by the way?

My power tube choices are Tunsol 6l6gc STR, JJ KT88, JJ 6CA7 and NOS Bendix 6889s.

The STR seems like a fail safe tube to pick up at least, great stuff.

Apr 2, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #179 of 1,234
Mostly felt like doing 6550s as they seem like the most viable classic NOS full size/coke bottle option.

I have a set of RCA Branded 6550's (they are probably tung-sol Leslie's I was told) that are near the top of my favorites with the Mogwai SE. Those and the converted Kt8c's get the most power tube use for me. Both quiet with great tone, liquidity and resolve. And they have that sexy coke bottle shape. :L3000:

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Apr 2, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #180 of 1,234
I have a set of RCA Branded 6550's (they are probably tung-sol Leslie's I was told) that are near the top of my favorites with the Mogwai SE. Those and the converted Kt8c's get the most power tube use for me. Both quiet with great tone, liquidity and resolve. And they have that sexy coke bottle shape. :L3000:

Oh yes, on board that tube curves matter.

Do you have 3-hole, or flat black/grey plates on your 6550s Zach?
Also, If you don't mind sharing, what are you doing for rectifier / input?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back