Amps to audition for HD800
Mar 18, 2016 at 4:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

deuter

1000+ Head-Fier
The time has come to get a HD800 amp that will stay with me for years to come.

Amps to audition:

• DNA Stratus
  • Eddie Current Balanced Act
  • Headamp GSX MK II
  • Manley Labs NEO Classic 300b
  • VIVA Egoista
  • Dynahi
  • Micro ZOTL
  • Woo Audio WA 5 LE
  • Cavalli Liquid Gold
  • Cavalli Liquid Glass

Amps Auditioned so far:

• Chord Mojo
  • Woo Audio WA2
  • SIM Audio Moon 403
  • Cypher Labs Pratus
  • Schiit Valhalla 2
  • My Bakoon HDA 5210 MK3
  • Eddie Current Zana Deux

Do advise if you believe I have missed something that I definitely need to audition.

Also you're thoughts on the list and your mileage with certain amps and HD800.

Mar 18, 2016 at 11:13 AM Post #4 of 25
If you preferred music is calling for accuracy rather than pleasant coloration than you will have a first rate contender with #5
wink.gif

I was listening to EMI SACD Dvorak / Grieg Piano concertos, S. Richter lately.
The clarity of the string sound and the accuracy of dynamics is just awesome. you close your eyes and Richter and his piano are right there in front of you.
Balanced source and balanced HD800 cable, I should add.

Mar 18, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #7 of 25
I would delete more from your list than I would add. But you should include the Moon Neo 430HAD and Sennheiser HDVD800 Black (now rumored to be renamed HDVD820 but the prototype clearly says HDVD 800) if you are looking for an amplifier for the HD 800 or HD 800 S. 

Mar 18, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #8 of 25
I would delete more from your list than I would add. But you should include the Moon Neo 430HAD and Sennheiser HDVD800 Black (now rumored to be renamed HDVD820 but the prototype clearly says HDVD 800) if you are looking for an amplifier for the HD 800 or HD 800 S. 

The moon Neo is in my auditioned list, I only listened to it single ended and didn't find it interesting.

Isn't the HDVD820 same as the HDVD600 minus DAC ?

Mar 18, 2016 at 8:37 PM Post #9 of 25
http://www.head-fi.org/t/801264/music-city-meet-volume-5-nashville-tn-spring-2016-april-9-2016FYI If you were going to buy new you only have until April 18 to order any of the Cavalli amps as the last run of all the aforementioned will be closed. If you are anywhere near Nashville on April 9 I will have a Liquid Gold at the Music City Meet.  If Dan Clark (Mr Speakers) is there he usually has a Cavalli amp to demo his headphones.

Mar 18, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #10 of 25
http://www.head-fi.org/t/801264/music-city-meet-volume-5-nashville-tn-spring-2016-april-9-2016FYI If you were going to buy new you only have until April 18 to order any of the Cavalli amps as the last run of all the aforementioned will be closed. If you are anywhere near Nashville on April 9 I will have a Liquid Gold at the Music City Meet.  If Dan Clark (Mr Speakers) is there he usually has a Cavalli amp to demo his headphones.

It's amazing how we all assume everyone is from USA :sunglasses:

Iam from down under my friend so Nashville is not very close.

What has been your experience with the Cavalli Liquid Gold. I just don't get why it's so pricey given its a fairly light SS.

Mar 18, 2016 at 10:01 PM Post #11 of 25
It's amazing how we all assume everyone is from USA :sunglasses:

Iam from down under my friend so Nashville is not very close.

What has been your experience with the Cavalli Liquid Gold. I just don't get why it's so pricey given its a fairly light SS.

I am getting one to demo as I bought a Liquid Carbon and am considering upgrading.  The LC is about 1 1/2 lbs.  That's Cavalli.  I did not assume anything about your location, merely offering you an opportunity if you were able to take advantage.  Good luck on your quest!

Mar 18, 2016 at 10:38 PM Post #12 of 25
I am getting one to demo as I bought a Liquid Carbon and am considering upgrading.  The LC is about 1 1/2 lbs.  That's Cavalli.  I did not assume anything about your location, merely offering you an opportunity if you were able to take advantage.  Good luck on your quest!

Do post when you demo gold.

Mar 19, 2016 at 8:51 AM Post #14 of 25
The GSX gets mixed reviews, Iam yet to audition one to know for myself.

You will have to be aware that with the GSX-MkII you are not really listening to the amp but to the source.
Until you heard the amp yourself, you won't have an actual idea about the ideal "wire with gain" amp.
What this means will suddenly become very obvious.
That transparency has consequences for the qualtiy of the source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back