Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
Jul 31, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #1,561 of 6,061
Although I have not heard the HE-6 through a speaker amp, and the GS-X MK2 was certainly better, I thought the HE-6 sounded better than the HE-500 out of the Soloist. Not optimal is still pretty damn good in my opinion, given how much praise the HE-500 gets.

Aug 1, 2013 at 3:38 AM Post #1,562 of 6,061

Interesting. In your opinion, would this be a general Sabre es 9018 DAC property (in comparison to say the PCM1704UKs and others)? Or would it be just that particular pairng?

Also, are you speaking only for the HE6 or all headphones in general?

Quote:
Clem never had a 10.32, he had the 5.32. Pretty sure it's the amp that is not to his liking, since he sold his favorite Metrum Quad and kept the Nfb 27. He had a rough ride with the Nfb 27 though it still comes out on top 
tongue_smile.gif

Also Kingwa's dacs are anything but bright.

khaine nailed it!

The NFB-27 standalone (DAC+AMP) is closer to neutral than, say, a Ref 5.32 (dark) + SA-31 (warm). I wonder how close to this combo the Ref 10.32 is (in tonality that is).

Like all Audio-GD gears, the NFB-27 still has a hint of warmth in it, but IMO it's not enough for the bright/airy hifimans. Even for the HE-5LE I prefer pairing it with the SA-31 (on its most neutral setting). This setup is almost perfect in tonality (for me, again).
Swap the 5LEs for the 6s and it becomes too bright again. I think I must set the SA-31 on "warm 1" level to get the tonality I like but I didn't try it yet.

With the Eximus DP1 - which is brighter than the NFB-27 and closer in tonality to the Metrum Quad (what I consider neutral) - I set the SA-31 on "warm 2".
I used to do the same with the Quad when I listened to the HE-4.

In summary, my preference (in no particular order) goes like this:
- NFB-27 + SA-31 (neutral) + HE-5LE
- Metrum Quad + Stello U3 + SA-31 (neutral) + HE-500
- Metrum Quad + Stello U3 + SA-31 (warm 2) + HE-4
- Eximus DP1 + SA-31 (warm 2) + HE-6
- NFB-27 + SA-31 (warm 1) + HE-6 (TBC)

HE-4 and HE-6 can be interchanged. HE-5LE and HE-500 cannot.

Edit: sadly, I didn't have much time to try the HE-500 on the NFB-27 standalone because I could not get it to sound good back in the days (glare/hardness & all these nasty things). I sold the HE-500 to fund the HE-5LE even though I expected the NFB-27 to be an all-in-one replacement for the Stello U3 + Metrum Quad + SA-31 that I could use with the 500s and be done with it.

Now that I can enjoy the NFB-27, I regret that I sold the HE-500 (more precisely, that I didn't buy Prep's balanced/hard-wire HE-500 when the offer came... 
redface.gif
).
I'm quite certain I will end up getting the 500s again at some point.

Aug 1, 2013 at 9:07 AM Post #1,563 of 6,061
Quote:

khaine nailed it!

The NFB-27 standalone (DAC+AMP) is closer to neutral than, say, a Ref 5.32 (dark) + SA-31 (warm). I wonder how close to this combo the Ref 10.32 is (in tonality that is).

Like all Audio-GD gears, the NFB-27 still has a hint of warmth in it, but IMO it's not enough for the bright/airy hifimans. Even for the HE-5LE I prefer pairing it with the SA-31 (on its most neutral setting). This setup is almost perfect in tonality (for me, again).
Swap the 5LEs for the 6s and it becomes too bright again. I think I must set the SA-31 on "warm 1" level to get the tonality I like but I didn't try it yet.

With the Eximus DP1 - which is brighter than the NFB-27 and closer in tonality to the Metrum Quad (what I consider neutral) - I set the SA-31 on "warm 2".
I used to do the same with the Quad when I listened to the HE-4.

In summary, my preference (in no particular order) goes like this:
- NFB-27 + SA-31 (neutral) + HE-5LE
- Metrum Quad + Stello U3 + SA-31 (neutral) + HE-500
- Metrum Quad + Stello U3 + SA-31 (warm 2) + HE-4
- Eximus DP1 + SA-31 (warm 2) + HE-6
- NFB-27 + SA-31 (warm 1) + HE-6 (TBC)

HE-4 and HE-6 can be interchanged. HE-5LE and HE-500 cannot.

Edit: sadly, I didn't have much time to try the HE-500 on the NFB-27 standalone because I could not get it to sound good back in the days (glare/hardness & all these nasty things). I sold the HE-500 to fund the HE-5LE even though I expected the NFB-27 to be an all-in-one replacement for the Stello U3 + Metrum Quad + SA-31 that I could use with the 500s and be done with it.

Now that I can enjoy the NFB-27, I regret that I sold the HE-500 (more precisely, that I didn't buy Prep's balanced/hard-wire HE-500 when the offer came... 
redface.gif
).
I'm quite certain I will end up getting the 500s again at some point.

Thank you for giving your impressions. I dont want to tease you, but it does go very well with the HE-500 IMO.

Aug 1, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #1,564 of 6,061
Quote:

Thank you for giving your impressions. I dont want to tease you, but it does go very well with the HE-500 IMO.

I can only suppose it does, sadly. Funny enough, I bought the NFB-27 for the HE-500 in the first place... 
redface.gif

After that I went crazy and bought HE-6, EF-6, Eximus DP1, Ciunas DAC... I think I NEED the HE-500 back to stop all this 
tongue.gif

Aug 1, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #1,567 of 6,061
Okay, my Leben CS300 (integrated tube amp with headphone output) landed this afternoon. Allegedly it has either 800mW or 1W from the headphone output - I don't know what mine has. Anyway - I can safely say it DOES NOT drive HE-6 from the headphone output to anything more than quiet to moderate levels - then it starts to distort very clearly. When I put on the Prelude from Carmen by Bizet, it was distorting awfully. This is quite surprising to me, because even from the Balanced amp card in the HM-801 it does better (and possibly also louder).

Aug 1, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #1,569 of 6,061
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/job/1.html

started reading up on the JOB 225, i like its small footprint. perfect for my coffeetable.

Aug 4, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #1,574 of 6,061
^^^ What brand is that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back