Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
Aug 20, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #5,686 of 6,061
Anyone tried running these out of the power outlet yet?

EDIT: maybe you could hear the government secrets 🥸

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #5,687 of 6,061
Thanks I had assumed going off the speaker taps would be the way to go. I haven't been been using my HE6 much of late as I really find them hard to listening to sounding just ok when I know just how well it can sound off of a well matched amp.

I've been toying with building the yet to be released Elekit tu-8900E which can use both 300b or 2A3 tubes for speaker use however if it can drive the HE6 reasonably well I will probably consider hanging onto the HE6 for a bit longer as have been sitting in their box for a while now.

Cheers

Aug 20, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #5,688 of 6,061
Thanks I had assumed going off the speaker taps would be the way to go. I haven't been been using my HE6 much of late as I really find them hard to listening to sounding just ok when I know just how well it can sound off of a well matched amp.

I've been toying with building the yet to be released Elekit tu-8900E which can use both 300b or 2A3 tubes for speaker use however if it can drive the HE6 reasonably well I will probably consider hanging onto the HE6 for a bit longer as have been sitting in their box for a while now.

Cheers
It is a great listen, and works well as long as you aren't expecting to listen at like 80-90db. I'm happy around 70-75.

The sunvalley SV-S1616D looks very interesting tbh as well with the traditional point to point setup and tube rectification. Another option you might want to consider that is coming out as well. Leaving a link below.

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/elekit/371736-sunvalley-sv-s1616d-300b.html

Sep 1, 2021 at 1:42 PM Post #5,689 of 6,061
i owned the hifiman he6 a long time ago and i bought two amps to pair it with - first watt J2 and first watt f1J . the fisrt watt f1J is the best one ive heard with the he6 - the sound is mind blowing and the j2 does not even compare .
i wonder now that we have the hifiman he6se - are there other amps that make the he6 or he6se rock coz the f1J is veyr hard to come by .

Sep 26, 2021 at 7:18 PM Post #5,691 of 6,061
What is the highest power advisable for these cans? I want to use a Crown DC300 to see how far the bass can be brought up. Did read that someone popped their driver on far less power.
You Are crazy?! I have had 8th pairs of he6, the audio mythological legendary talk about the HE6 is just going overboard atm…. I’ve heard the he6 from A90, McIntosh MAH 150, Ragnarok 2 and the Busin soloist 3x.

The biggest difference for me was going from A90 to The Soloist 3x. The Burson had just so much better sub bass, and the instruments sounded much more natural..

Ragnarok 2 was also good, but I liked the burson better… Might because the burson I running class A, on the he6se…

That said, I did not run any technical comparisons between the amps. But from my understanding, class A amps gives you more musical "tube like" delivery.

And that is what I wanted to promote with my experience, it’s not about the amount of wattage but quality is at least as important….

Final note is to use EQ to add bass to these headphones, (they are flat in stock, having a amp that ads bass, would also add bass to other headphones connected to the same setup)

Sep 26, 2021 at 9:00 PM Post #5,692 of 6,061
You Are crazy?! I have had 8th pairs of he6, the audio mythological legendary talk about the HE6 is just going overboard atm…. I’ve heard the he6 from A90, McIntosh MAH 150, Ragnarok 2 and the Busin soloist 3x.

The biggest difference for me was going from A90 to The Soloist 3x. The Burson had just so much better sub bass, and the instruments sounded much more natural..

Ragnarok 2 was also good, but I liked the burson better… Might because the burson I running class A, on the he6se…

That said, I did not run any technical comparisons between the amps. But from my understanding, class A amps gives you more musical "tube like" delivery.

And that is what I wanted to promote with my experience, it’s not about the amount of wattage but quality is at least as important….

Final note is to use EQ to add bass to these headphones, (they are flat in stock, having a amp that ads bass, would also add bass to other headphones connected to the same setup)
Hello, thanks for your experiences. I am speaking of the HE6SE as well. The most recent measures available (on another site) show that it has almost 79.5 db/mW sensitivity down from 83.5 in the original HE6. Impedance is also now 64 ohms. I don't know if this is because they reduced the amount of gold in the traces on the driver.

From calculations to get 125 dB peaks for average 100 dB playback it would need about 35 watts maximum at 48V. This will probably melt the driver, right? Mylar is supposed to be able to withstand high temperatures of 150 Celsius without losing integrity. But maybe whatever process for the gold sputtering or attachment is not strong enough? Current would be 750 mA. Assuming the thin wires in the headphones are above 23 AWG they should be able to handle this.

The more reasonable numbers for HE6 at 125 dB would be 14 W, 27V (530 mA) far less energy. So from those numbers alone the HE6 is clearly ahead of the HE6SE. All these numbers are from the Headphonesty calculator which I assume to be correct. My intention is to experiment with the bass EQ and see if the HE6 series can overcome the strongest dynamic models with extreme power. For HE6 at 14 W this seems attainable, but maybe not for HE6SE at 35 W.

Sep 26, 2021 at 9:15 PM Post #5,693 of 6,061
Great bro! I have no clue what to say, but my experience still stands… Other people have run the he6 from first watt j1, and it was the best experience they had with the he6… The wattage requirement that have been mentioned in the he6 forum post are in my opinion just bull.

My A90 run all of my he6 pairs well enough, but what the burson did was, to give the sub-bass authority and control. Which was lacking in the A90…

Sep 26, 2021 at 9:45 PM Post #5,694 of 6,061
Like don’t hunt amps in the 300W region just for the sake of running HE6, get a high qurrent class-a amp and EQ the bass. The HE6 have a flat frequency response, increasing the wattage/current won’t change that… But quality amps will control the EQ’d bass better than poor amps….

Sep 26, 2021 at 9:49 PM Post #5,695 of 6,061
Also, most of the fun in owning the HE6 models is the journey in upgrading your equipment… The HE6 are revealing the quality of the sources… You don’t need to have everything thing in place for the HE6, they are already one of the best headfi gear you could own running from a budget amp like the A90

Sep 26, 2021 at 9:52 PM Post #5,696 of 6,061
Also, most of the fun in owning the HE6 models is the journey in upgrading your equipment… The HE6 are revealing the quality of the sources… You don’t need to have everything thing in place for the HE6, they are already one of the best headfi gear you could own running from a budget amp like the A90
Unfortunately I am only playing with the HE6SE for now. Maybe HE6 in the future if things don't blow up!

Sep 26, 2021 at 10:10 PM Post #5,697 of 6,061
Ok, i see. I have owned 5 pair of he6se, and one pair was actually harder to drive than any of the 3 pairs of HE6. Might happen that you were just unlucky/lucky with your pair and need something beefier.

I felt that the he6se that was hard to drive matched the OG HE6, in sound quality… But yeah, ask you local dealer to audition a Class-A amp (Burson Soloist 3x I recommend)

Don’t hunt the wattage, go for quality qurrent delivery.

Sep 26, 2021 at 10:11 PM Post #5,698 of 6,061
And with the headphone amp route you won’t risk blowing up your pair of HE6…. (I’ve blown 2 pair’s……)

Sep 28, 2021 at 12:25 AM Post #5,699 of 6,061
i owned the hifiman he6 a long time ago and i bought two amps to pair it with - first watt J2 and first watt f1J . the fisrt watt f1J is the best one ive heard with the he6 - the sound is mind blowing and the j2 does not even compare .
i wonder now that we have the hifiman he6se - are there other amps that make the he6 or he6se rock coz the f1J is veyr hard to come by .
I think it was your comments on the HE6+F1J that made me hunt down an F1J 4-5 years ago. It took ages to find, but I did get one and I'm very squeamish about letting it go now. It's quite a unique amp with it's current mode application, and pairs very nicely with plannars, and the HE6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back