Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
Aug 15, 2016 at 3:28 PM Post #4,712 of 6,061
Has anybody been using speakers on their Speaker amps they use for their HE6? I only have Vintage Geneva bookshelf speakers, and Technic SB- LX50K towers on them. I've been planning to buy JBL Studio 530s for some time, and i havent been able to find any in Canada, and all others are over seas for waaaay over retail.

(if anyone in Canada has 530s, message me)

I run some Klipsch 3.2 Walnuts on my Spec system as well as my HE-6 (from speaker taps).  Love being able to choose headphones or speakers. 

Aug 15, 2016 at 11:51 PM Post #4,713 of 6,061
I run some Klipsch 3.2 Walnuts on my Spec system as well as my HE-6 (from speaker taps).  Love being able to choose headphones or speakers. 

Im jealous of your spec system. Mt dad sold his spec rack when i was little, which im still pissed at him, cause the Spec 2 is 1000 by itself

Aug 16, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #4,714 of 6,061
Comparing between the 2 amps i have, just some quick notes. These amps are the SMSL SA98e and Bryston 2B LP

1. More bass in the smsl. My theory is that the Class D components in the SMSL create extra distortion, so the perceived low end is greater than the much cleaner bryston. But because the amp produces (in theory) produces distortion.... This is true for the highs too. While hardly noticable with music, doing a frequency sweep, the left channel buzzed at higher frequencies. I was scared cause i though my driver had a hole in it, but doing the same thing with the Bryston showed zero buzz (as it should cause its a pro level amp.) The cleanliness of the Bryston does reveal inherent flaws with the HE6, which is inducing siblance on less than average recordings. My current configuration for this comparison had zero back dampening, and my pair didnt come with any, so sticking a piece of flanal felt on the backside of the driver did absorb some reflections created by the grill, but ultimately to reduce the siblance to a much greater level you'll need an EQ or to stick felt in front of the driver, much like how Mr Speakers tunes his phones with Doggie Treats. I know people use the Fuzzor, but i cant comment because i dont have it installed on my pair yet.

Other than that, the SMSL is more in the head kind of stage, which the Bryston makes sounds come from outside the earcups. Imaging overall dynamix are also an improvement.

Changes in the dynamix and staging of the amps are subtle mind you, but the signature in the amp's sound are definitely noticeable. SMSL is warmer, which the Bryston is quite neutral. The 2bLP has a headphone out on the front, which is wired backwards lol, but plugging my Alpha Primes into the headphone out kicks serious @$$!

Aug 25, 2016 at 8:19 PM Post #4,716 of 6,061
Yes. I have a 400A that was factory upgraded to Threshold e Series specs. It has no trouble driving the HE-6s, regardless of source material. The big thing to watch out for with these vintage 100 watt class A amps is the condition of the power capacitors. Highly recommended and often to be had for a modest price.

Aug 26, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #4,717 of 6,061
Anybody using nfb28 with he6? I drive he6 on low gain and think they are fully driven. Anybody else confirms?

Aug 27, 2016 at 10:45 PM Post #4,719 of 6,061
Whenever someone gets their hands on the Schiit Jotunheim, post HE6 x Jotunheim impressions

Seconded. I'm really curious how well it compares to driving it with a power amp.

Aug 28, 2016 at 8:27 PM Post #4,720 of 6,061
Can anyone recommend a high end speaker amp that I can run all of my headphones out of? I am willing to spend just under 2K if I can run something like an Ether or LCD3 from it as well. 

I know @Oregonian does this with vintage but I dont know the specs of his amps and kind of want to do what he does but with modern gear. 

I am really tired of looking for an endgame solid state as they all have their compromises. I want that microdetail, uber clarity, responsiveness, and spaciousness all in one. 

Why buy a Ragnarok if I can have a clearer amp and just speaker tap it? Kind of thinking of getting an HE-6 again as well. If I can stay at about a grand I can get an HE-6 and modern integrated amp. 

Thanks in advance. 

Aug 28, 2016 at 8:30 PM Post #4,721 of 6,061
Can anyone recommend a high end speaker amp that I can run all of my headphones out of? I am willing to spend just under 2K if I can run something like an Ether or LCD3 from it as well. 

I know @Oregonian
 does this with vintage but I dont know the specs of his amps and kind of want to do what he does but with modern gear. 

I am really tired of looking for an endgame solid state as they all have their compromises. I want that microdetail, uber clarity, responsiveness, and spaciousness all in one. 

Why buy a Ragnarok if I can have a clearer amp and just speaker tap it? Kind of thinking of getting an HE-6 again as well. If I can stay at about a grand I can get an HE-6 and modern integrated amp. 

Thanks in advance. 

Krell power amps and integrated amps are thought of highly on this thread. What's your budget?

Aug 29, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #4,723 of 6,061
I have a Pioneer SA7700 Integrated Speaker Amp that does well with HE500s and HE6s a like. It has 2, 2 channel systems, which can be selected by an AB switch on the front, or have both running at the same time. It does have a headphone output for other phones, but there are hardly any resistors in the damn thing, and it gets loud at 2 on HE500s. 0.o

Aug 30, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #4,724 of 6,061
Have approximately $1500 to spend on amplification for the HE-6. Currently using an old Yamaha DSP-A2070 receiver from the 90s which puts 80W into 8-ohms.

It does the job but wondering if a Mjolnir 2 or Krell KAV-400XI would be better?

Found a used Krell for £1200 boxed with remote etc. just trying to figure out what the best bet would be for making these headphones sing!

Also is the new Hifiman HE-1000 as hard to drive as the HE-6? Just want to know if my investment in a good amp will be useful once the HE-6 eventually gives up the ghost. 

Aug 30, 2016 at 6:29 PM Post #4,725 of 6,061
Just wanted to drop a note about my new he-6 and the ifi ican pro. I just got both last night and this far the ican pro seems to have no issue with the he-6. Right now I'm using the 9db gain setting and the volume is at 11 o'clock (plenty of volume left).

Granted I haven't heard these cans on any other amp because I don't own anything strong enough, but I'm liking what I hear, especially compared to the vanilla ican

Users who are viewing this thread

Back