Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
Mar 4, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #3,901 of 6,061
I find it comical that our community is so split on the merits of human hearing. The purist says trust your ears. The scientist says you can't trust yourself because you're human. I'm so confused......:wink:

Lolz...if u cant trust yourself..what then? :D listening to music is very subjective....no numbers or measurements can change that...hell...even if u like certain kind of music (and have experience with that kind of music) then certain music will sound different to you then to others... Its a contradiction we will be debating about until the end of time :D

Mar 4, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #3,902 of 6,061
  The Fusion Flex looks like the new and improved mini-X.  Give it a shot and report back on how it does.

Maybe if i come across a used one in Canada...

As a mini-x user I'm curious as to why you didn't like it?

It got hit with the hype train when that big thread with the HE-500 came out some time ago. To be fair, it's a decent amp for the price, but really nothing special. In that price range and performance level, I'd rather get a small class D that's a quarter the size and reclaim my desk space.

Mar 4, 2015 at 7:16 PM Post #3,903 of 6,061
I think my monoblocks may never get fixed at this rate, and I'm getting tired of having a big stack of gear on my desk. What would you guys recommend for a compact amp? I've already tried the small Nuforce amps and Centrance Dacmini PX, which I thought were good but I needed more. I've tried the Emotiva Mini-X but did not like it, and I wouldn't want to go any larger than that. I don't like the Lyr either. Any thoughts? I'd be open to dac/amp combo units too. I love the sound of the Rag, but that's just
big.

what budget? There is a little synthesis tube amp that may have enough.
http://www.synthesis.co.it/pdf/prime/Flame.pdf

There is a used one on Canuck audio mart. These also is a bit more powerful option from them but pretty pricey

Mar 4, 2015 at 8:15 PM Post #3,904 of 6,061
what budget? There is a little synthesis tube amp that may have enough.
http://www.synthesis.co.it/pdf/prime/Flame.pdf

There is a used one on Canuck audio mart. These also is a bit more powerful option from them but pretty pricey

Under $1k for sure. Maybe half that? I dunno... just idly looking around right now.

The Synthesis looks interesting, but seems pricey.

Mar 9, 2015 at 1:49 AM Post #3,905 of 6,061
What kind of options am I looking at if I want to go the tube route? This is all pretty much academic at this point since I am going to be trying out as many amps as possible in Austin (counting down the days...), and then possibly try to make a few trips up to North Carolina to listen to some up there, but I keep coming across people saying that tube is the way to go for classical. Since I want to build my HE-6 especially for classical (not that that's the only thing I'll be listening to on it by a long shot) I was just wandering what the options were? I see a lot of people mentioning the WA-5 but I'm not sure it's in my budget (might be, we'll see
wink.gif
). Are there any good cheaper tube speaker amp options?

Also -- are there some tube amps that are safe to use without the HE-adapter? Or is that a must?

Mar 9, 2015 at 1:59 AM Post #3,906 of 6,061
  What kind of options am I looking at if I want to go the tube route? This is all pretty much academic at this point since I am going to be trying out as many amps as possible in Austin (counting down the days...), and then possibly try to make a few trips up to North Carolina to listen to some up there, but I keep coming across people saying that tube is the way to go for classical. Since I want to build my HE-6 especially for classical (not that that's the only thing I'll be listening to on it by a long shot) I was just wandering what the options were? I see a lot of people mentioning the WA-5 but I'm not sure it's in my budget (might be, we'll see
wink.gif
). Are there any good cheaper tube speaker amp options?

Also -- are there some amps that are safe to use without the HE-adapter? Or is that a must?

WA5 is the only tube headamp I know of that drives the HE6 really well. I have been told that the Allnic also does a great job, but have never heard it. Neither are cheap. Once you put decent tubes in the WA5 you are looking at a significant investment - those 300B tubes are pricey.

My understanding is that some form of resistor is an absolute must for tube amps driving headphones from speaker taps.

I have driven the HE6 using the adapter box from a 20W SET amp - the WA5 K1K output bettered it significantly. If you want a tube amp that can drive the HE6 superbly the WA5 is hard to beat - just be prepared to pay significant extra coin for tubes on top of the amp price if you want to get close to the best from the amp.

Mar 9, 2015 at 4:51 AM Post #3,907 of 6,061
WA5 is the only tube headamp I know of that drives the HE6 really well. I have been told that the Allnic also does a great job, but have never heard it. Neither are cheap. Once you put decent tubes in the WA5 you are looking at a significant investment - those 300B tubes are pricey.

My understanding is that some form of resistor is an absolute must for tube amps driving headphones from speaker taps.

I have driven the HE6 using the adapter box from a 20W SET amp - the WA5 K1K output bettered it significantly. If you want a tube amp that can drive the HE6 superbly the WA5 is hard to beat - just be prepared to pay significant extra coin for tubes on top of the amp price if you want to get close to the best from the amp.

Maybe a vintage speaker tube amp? A mcintosh? Like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/McIntosh-MC225-Vintage-Tube-Amplifier-with-Manual-SOUNDS-AMAZING-AS-EXPECTED-/251862293148?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3aa4299a9c

but be prepared, they normally are HUGE and weigh a ton :D

Mar 9, 2015 at 6:13 AM Post #3,908 of 6,061
Maybe a vintage speaker tube amp? A mcintosh? Like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/McIntosh-MC225-Vintage-Tube-Amplifier-with-Manual-SOUNDS-AMAZING-AS-EXPECTED-/251862293148?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3aa4299a9c

but be prepared, they normally are HUGE and weigh a ton
biggrin.gif

Very heavy physically, yes like a Class A amp. According to the McIntosh factory, no need for resistors though. Have not heard the 225 but doubt it is has adequate reserves to drive classical pieces that engage a full symphony orchestra. You really need to personally experience these amps before you buy. If possible, I'd try the 225 first, then the 250, finally the 275: this would give an extra 6dB to see if the 225 will do it for you. I'd also seriously consider solid state Class A speaker amps as they can be considerably less expensive and it is much easier to find ones with adequate power. 

Mar 13, 2015 at 2:28 AM Post #3,909 of 6,061
Ok so unfortunately I wasn't able to get the DIY cable in time -- my fault for placing the order so late :frowning2:. Is there any alternative to allow me to test out solid state amps without the adapter? Something that I could get overnight from Amazon or buy in Austin?

I guess I could just use the adapter but that will change the sound correct?

thanks.

Mar 13, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #3,912 of 6,061

That amp must have a really high gain setting..  Do you what it's set at?

not related but just saw that Audio Myths Workshop on your link, very interesting, and I totally agree with these guys.

I like that jar of rocks and that $3000 "magic bowls" lol. Nice video, send me more !.

Mar 13, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #3,915 of 6,061
Ok so unfortunately I wasn't able to get the DIY cable in time -- my fault for placing the order so late :frowning2:. Is there any alternative to allow me to test out solid state amps without the adapter? Something that I could get overnight from Amazon or buy in Austin?

I guess I could just use the adapter but that will change the sound correct?

thanks.
You do not need the adapter for SS amps. Keep the volume knob at zero until ready to listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back