Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
Jan 4, 2015 at 8:15 PM Post #3,587 of 6,061
we need a beefed up F1J version for the he-6, the original claims 10w at 8r , double that figure would be more than welcome(more than double the price of course 
evil_smiley.gif
 )

Jan 5, 2015 at 6:37 AM Post #3,593 of 6,061
  But we are, and the F1J will not be changed or upgraded anymore.  So yes -"it's fine just the way it is"

To be honest, I don't think the F1J would improve with more power, it's got more than enough but the raw figures are misleading due to its design.  Besides, the Silicon carbide power JFETS it (the J version) uses are almost unobtainium now due to the producer going out of business and you really require a closely matched pair or will run into problems that are not easily resolved.   It doesn't help that most of 'em that you see on the net are chinese counterfeit.  So if you want one and it pops up for sale, grab it quick.  There is (or was) one for sale on the forums for I believe 1800 USD.  If you want to build a clone and can source the parts and know what you're doing, you're looking at about 1 k USD minimum to build (except if you can build a case yourself, which I wouldn't want to try).

That said, it may not be for everyone, the amp is called 'the truth machine' and that's what it is.  Imo most people don't appreciate a brutally honest, clean sound, even if they claim beforehand that that's the holy grail.

Jan 8, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #3,594 of 6,061
I need help from the EEs out there on using speaker amps with the HE-6 and other headphones.

I have been experimenting a bit lately and got outstanding results from the HE-6 using several amps with a wide range of power rating and designs--some of the recent successful amps are the First Watt M2, Threshold S300, Nakamichi PA-5 II, Mark Levinson KAV 400xi, Conrad-Johnson MV75, BAT VK75SE and, unexpectedly, the Harman Kardon HK775, 770 and 870. 

With more efficient headphones such as the HD800, TH900 and PS1000, however, I typically get a constant background noise (low hum, buzz or hiss depending on the headphones and amps) when everything is connected even with zero volume from the direct source (Oppo 105 or PS Audio PerfectWave Mk II) or from the preamp when one is used (Krell KAV 400xi or Jeff Roland Consummate).  It sounded like the noise is from the amps themselves and is louder with more efficient headphones.  This happened with or without 8-ohm arrays used at the speaker outputs.

Is this normal and is there any way to reduce or eliminate that noise?

Sorry to be off topic but I thought that folks using this thread may be the most knowledgeable about this problem--and hopefully solutions. Help me, Obi-wan Kenobi... 

Jan 8, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #3,595 of 6,061
if you short the input to the amplifiers, and if there is still noise (likely)
then that is all you can do. Speaker amplifiers driving high impedance
headphones are designed for different purposes.

Jan 8, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #3,596 of 6,061
  I need help from the EEs out there on using speaker amps with the HE-6 and other headphones.

I have been experimenting a bit lately and got outstanding results from the HE-6 using several amps with a wide range of power rating and designs--some of the recent successful amps are the First Watt M2, Threshold S300, Nakamichi PA-5 II, Mark Levinson KAV 400xi, Conrad-Johnson MV75, BAT VK75SE and, unexpectedly, the Harman Kardon HK775, 770 and 870. 

With more efficient headphones such as the HD800, TH900 and PS1000, however, I typically get a constant background noise (low hum, buzz or hiss depending on the headphones and amps) when everything is connected even with zero volume from the direct source (Oppo 105 or PS Audio PerfectWave Mk II) or from the preamp when one is used (Krell KAV 400xi or Jeff Roland Consummate).  It sounded like the noise is from the amps themselves and is louder with more efficient headphones.  This happened with or without 8-ohm arrays used at the speaker outputs.

Is this normal and is there any way to reduce or eliminate that noise?

Sorry to be off topic but I thought that folks using this thread may be the most knowledgeable about this problem--and hopefully solutions. Help me, Obi-wan Kenobi... 

I am also interested in this.  

I have both my DAC and amplifier plugged into an isolation transformer. This is something I started doing years ago, and I test it fairly regularly and continue to find that plugging power into an isolation transformer will audibly reduce the noise floor as compared to plugging devices into the wall or normal surge protector.  If there is a ground loop hum, however quiet, this sort of configuration 100% removes that. 

However, since getting the old used D75A, I find that this amp seems to introduce a little bit of new noise -- not a noise floor, but more like an occasional quick, irregular crackle that will pop up audibly every now and then in either channel. It's quiet and will never be heard over loud music, but can sometimes be heard during soft musical passages or silence. I wonder if this is an effect due to an old amplifier's aging internal parts? I wonder if I could replace capacitors and such in the D75A to make it perfectly fully silent, or if I should consider something like a Schiit Mjolnir which is brand new and shouldn't have any issues.   

TO be clear here, it is not a noise that is enough to really affect enjoyment of the music. You have to really be listening for it, and it appears seldomly. If I didn't replay parts of tracks consistently when I do hear it, I'd think it was just a minor flaw in the source recording. 

Jan 8, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #3,597 of 6,061

I am also interested in this.  

I have both my DAC and amplifier plugged into an isolation transformer. This is something I started doing years ago, and I test it fairly regularly and continue to find that plugging power into an isolation transformer will audibly reduce the noise floor as compared to plugging devices into the wall or normal surge protector.  If there is a ground loop hum, however quiet, this sort of configuration 100% removes that. 

However, since getting the old used D75A, I find that this amp seems to introduce a little bit of new noise -- not a noise floor, but more like an occasional quick, irregular crackle that will pop up audibly every now and then in either channel. It's quiet and will never be heard over loud music, but can sometimes be heard during soft musical passages or silence. I wonder if this is an effect due to an old amplifier's aging internal parts? I wonder if I could replace capacitors and such in the D75A to make it perfectly fully silent, or if I should consider something like a Schiit Mjolnir which is brand new and shouldn't have any issues.   

TO be clear here, it is not a noise that is enough to really affect enjoyment of the music. You have to really be listening for it, and it appears seldomly. If I didn't replay parts of tracks consistently when I do hear it, I'd think it was just a minor flaw in the source recording. 

Ground loop would not explain the hissing noise...

Jan 8, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #3,598 of 6,061
Jan 8, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #3,600 of 6,061
Sorry, it was a response to the 'hissing issues'. Don't know about the crackle though 
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back