Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
Mar 4, 2014 at 5:35 AM Post #2,581 of 6,061
The master 8 i owned and it was fine with the HE6. As such the M9 is more powerful so I am sure it is fine as well. The other item I would like to add too is the voltage to conversion
To db loudness that is being said. . When we listen to music especially at moderate volumes. There are transients above 120 db. They may be very short in duration for the instruments being used to measur them. An example of this is a piano . Did you ever notice that no matter how good our dac,s or headphones are a piano just does not sound natural. Well most dac manufactories know this and that ones that do not admit are just lieing. Anyway the reason is two parts first the dac and next the equipment . The amps are more than fact and powerful enough, but the speakers or headphones are not. One reason is the dynamic range of the piano . When a single key is struck it's above 120 db and this is one key imagine what's needed during playing. Another reason for the headphones to sound correct is the overall power reserve needed to accomplish good sound tone with these headphones. They need plenty of reserve, this is obvious with the FW amps we tested. The amps were extremely clear and detailed but made the headphones have not just a bright sound but also changed the sound tone as well. So it's complicated and it's not just one spec we need but havering about 80 watts to start is a really good start . Now some here use the F5 and I intend to buy one as if it can deliver the fastness and details of the j2/f3 and the power of the krell wow what an amp to have.
One more thing to muddy things up a bit , but it is something we all should know. The volume controls in our dacs are mostly robbing us of details and sonics . And most here have no idea it even happens. We are far better off useing an analog volume pot Ina preamp . The reason is complicated but does exist and over all a closer gain Match is needed from dac to amp , meaning the more we need to turn the volume up to hear the music the better we are. Now own reason audio gd is a sounding good is he uses an expensive resister network with relays to accomplish this task.

Al

Mar 4, 2014 at 7:07 AM Post #2,582 of 6,061
We are far better off useing an analog volume pot Ina preamp . The reason is complicated but does exist and over all a closer gain Match is needed from dac to amp , meaning the more we need to turn the volume up to hear the music the better we are. Now own reason audio gd is a sounding good is he uses an expensive resister network with relays to accomplish this task.

This is one of the reasons I've been looking at the NFB-28. Relay resistor network with a volume knob seems very nice. I will be trying out a NFB-10.32 with my Yamaha M-4 tomorrow.

Any recommendations for other DACs with an analog preamp stage?

Mar 4, 2014 at 7:26 AM Post #2,583 of 6,061
Not really. I won an MSB stack and have become aware of this fact when I bought the unit. It was. Point that explained. .

I own a mytek DAC. It sounds better when the preAmp and volume control is disabled and bypassed .

Almost all dacs use digital volume control and rob us of details and dynamics. Most dacs do not have a bypass feature and simply turning up the volume up completely corrects this . Butch ten we need a preamp.
I was at a mini meet with someone who was using Logitech with a spidif output . The volume control in the Logitech was killing the sound of the DAC. When bypassed it greatly improved the sound. Most digital volume controls when above 80 are fine .

Al

Mar 4, 2014 at 7:27 AM Post #2,584 of 6,061
Most of us here are well aware of the difference between digital and analog volume controls.  

NAD M51
Although it use a digital volume control, it's one of the best out there.  It use a 35 bit architecture so your 24 bit high res files are safe. The PWD mk2 - not so much.

Mar 4, 2014 at 7:34 AM Post #2,585 of 6,061
Great point pepproman.

As I have the pwd mkii as well. And until it is at 80 it's is effecting the sound. I just think most here do not and maybe something that should be done to make more people aware.

Al

Mar 4, 2014 at 7:35 AM Post #2,586 of 6,061
Great point pepproman.

As I have the pwd mkii as well. And until it is at 80 it's is effecting the sound. I just think most here do not and maybe something that should be done to make more people aware.

Al

beerchug.gif

Mar 4, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #2,588 of 6,061
I can wholeheartedly agree with getting a preamp for the highest fidelity. I remember when I was using a integrated receiver, then I bypassed all the controls and used a LDR-based passive preamp. Wow, I couldn't believe just how much resolution i was missing. The preamp in the integrated was holding the entire amp back! 

All things being equal, here's how I prioritize my gear. My opinion of course, and YMMV

1) Headphones
2) Source material
3) DAC / Turntable
4) Amp / Preamp / Phono pre
5) Converters/Isolators/Conditioning
6) Cables / Power cords

They get equal treatment to amps in my scale, but of course the amp would be more important if you have a sub-optimal one for your application. Converters IMO should always stay low on the chain, manufacturers need to understand that a crappy SPDIF or USB implementation is no longer acceptable as we now have viable alternatives like XMOS and Amanero.
beerchug.gif

Mar 4, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #2,589 of 6,061
1) Headphones
2) Source material
3) DAC / Turntable
6) Cables / Power cords
For me it's
Headphones
DAC or turntable phono pre
Source material
Amp
And then the rest .
I figure if I have good headphones and DAC /TT the rest can be heard .
The lists we have are like chicken or the egg. They both have holes in the concept
Al

Mar 4, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #2,590 of 6,061
  I can wholeheartedly agree with getting a preamp for the highest fidelity. I remember when I was using a integrated receiver, then I bypassed all the controls and used a LDR-based passive preamp.

Have you tried other LDR preamps than your Tortuga? The Tortugas are a little steep for my wallet :)

Mar 4, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #2,591 of 6,061

Have you tried other LDR preamps than your Tortuga? The Tortugas are a little steep for my wallet :)

I use the LDR3x, which is like 1/10th the cost of their finished units :)
As far as I know, Tortuga Audio has the best implementation in the market. They use software control to keep everything in the most optimized and calibrated configuration. No other LDR i have come across carries that advantage. User Potterma however has made a homebrew LDR preamp, you could try contacting him about a 'standard' LDR preamp. The LDR3x is incredibly simple to build. All you need is 2 pairs of RCA jacks, a 12v wall wart with matching female jack, some wire, and an enclosure. The only soldering needed is on the RCA jacks and remote receiver module. 

Mar 4, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #2,592 of 6,061
1) Headphones
2) Source material
3) DAC / Turntable
6) Cables / Power cords
For me it's
Headphones
DAC or turntable phono pre
Source material
Amp
And then the rest .
I figure if I have good headphones and DAC /TT the rest can be heard .
The lists we have are like chicken or the egg. They both have holes in the concept
Al

To me the first four are pretty equal because the result will reflect the weakest link. For example, while I think that the he6 is better than the he500, I would rather have the he500 with a great dac and amp than the he6 with mediocre components.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back