Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
Sep 14, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #3,211 of 6,061
LOL! I get very afraid seeing so many tubes being used, for fear of needing to replace them sooner or late..

Any links or pointers as to where one can get such an amp built? Pictures, please! :D

Check my review out..its in my signature..u will find there everything u need to answer ur questions..WITH picsies :D
..i have to update it as its now fully burned in..took a while..but since 1 month i dont hear any improvements anymore..sound signature is stabile now...only the new powercables i got two weeks ago improved the sound a bit..but they need a very long time to burn in also i understand..and the sound impact is not high enough..but u never know after burn in time..

but the makers can make u all u want..as long u pay for it..but what i hear now through my CODE-X now is really beautiful... :wink:
.but i would say..try it out urself..check them out on a audio shows..they attend attend those a lot and then u can try them out urself...they are situated in canada..but they go to shows all over america i understand...have fun reading my review :p

Sep 21, 2014 at 4:07 AM Post #3,212 of 6,061
Hi Guys,

I'm thinking about getting a male XLR to speaker tap (banana plug) cable made from BTG Audio for my HE-6. They are to be powered by the Decco65 by Peachtree. Could someone please advise me if I will be need an HE-adapter/resistors built into the cable for the amp which has the following specs:

http://www.peachtreeaudio.com/decco65-amplifier-with-dac.html

Or if I should even bother with the Decco65?

I tried using an HE adapter with a speaker switch box earlier this week and the adapter started smoking so I'm a little bit hesitant. However, I'm sure I've read somewhere that someone ran these off the speaker taps from the Decco.

Thanks in advance guys!

Sep 21, 2014 at 4:33 AM Post #3,213 of 6,061
Oh I spoke to the previous owner and he mentioned that the HE-adapter was damaged during his time (from turning up the volume too much) and he had employed his own resistors to fix it. I'm hoping the fault wasn't my amp's but from previous damage.

Sep 21, 2014 at 4:37 AM Post #3,216 of 6,061
My main concern is I don't understand enough about OTL amps or even know what they really are and am worried the Peachtree falls into the category of "amps you shouldn't do a direct connection with". Just because it has a tube for the headphone output. :D

Sep 21, 2014 at 4:45 AM Post #3,217 of 6,061
I & quite a few others on this thread are driving the HE-6 directly from speaker taps of a Tube Speaker amp. Wait.... the Decco website says that its a hybrid tube design. So maybe I was wrong before that no resistors are required (I assumed that it was a SS integrated). For a tube amp you require resistors in parallel in order to protect the transformers. But the Decco is a Hybrid hence I am not sure. Please see the post in the link below & the subsequent post by other members.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/493214/hifiman-he-6-planar-magnetic-headphone/14775#post_10818949

Maybe the other more technically knowledgeable members can chime in if resistors are required for the decco.

Sep 21, 2014 at 4:56 AM Post #3,220 of 6,061
Cheers. You guys don't think the current is too high right?

Also, forgot to ask, I am using a Burson Soloist as a pre-amp. If I had the Burson jacked up versus having it on low, does it affect how much current goes out of the speaker taps? Or is the amount of current going through solely dependant on the current from the speaker taps?

Thanks.

Sep 21, 2014 at 5:03 AM Post #3,224 of 6,061
  Cheers. You guys don't think the current is too high right?

Also, forgot to ask, I am using a Burson Soloist as a pre-amp. If I had the Burson jacked up versus having it on low, does it affect how much current goes out of the speaker taps? Or is the amount of current going through solely dependant on the current from the speaker taps?

Thanks.

Not really. We have members here using Mono Blocks & 300w integrated amps to run HE 6 without any adapter boxes. Why are you using the Burson as a pre. The Decco already has one ?

Sep 21, 2014 at 5:06 AM Post #3,225 of 6,061
My DAC (Concero HD) only has one output and I like being able to just reach for the Burson which is within arm's reach versus the Decco on the floor. Also, I still use the Burson for my HD800s so it's nice to not have to turn "this" on and turn "that" off when I plug headphones in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back