Amps that can drive low imp. cans like grados and ATs?
Nov 23, 2002 at 9:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

millerdog

1000+ Head-Fier
Hmmm....great void here...EarMaxPro, the new ASL32, Mapletree EAR+, Reality?
I suppose one of the reasons is that the Grado sound is too bright for most of you amp testers.
Us Grado lovers need some recommendations too!
tongue.gif

md

Nov 23, 2002 at 9:41 AM Post #2 of 51
I don't own any modern Grados to test with. The HP-1s manage to sound good out of a lot of amps.
smily_headphones1.gif

Are you only considering tube amps? Solid states seem to not be as particular about whether they drive high or low impedance phones better.

The RKV/Impedancer is reportedly good with RS-1, if you like the RS-1.

Nov 23, 2002 at 9:41 AM Post #3 of 51
I would start off with a used Grado RA-1. Hirsch recommends the Plainview 9.6 volt rechargeable battery. If you need crossfeed try the Total Airhead (stay away from the Airhead). Can't recommend the Corda as I have not head them. The Creek OBH11SE is also not bad and might suit your SR325 better. (I personally find the 325 too bright) - hell I find my RS-1 on the bright side (Senn however is not really my cup of long island tea)
biggrin.gif

That's my 2¢ worth - others might be a little more helpful with recommendations like the Gilmore or maxed out Meta 42

Nov 23, 2002 at 9:49 AM Post #4 of 51
magicdragon,
I posted this for you!
I am also a low imp can user. The choices are few and far between.
Kelly? Sudgen? lack of bass? Grace? Meta42? Yeah, Corda..and Corda Blue....No not particularly looking at tubes.
I got my Fisher...next up is a SS amp.
I am thinking KG from antness
wink.gif

comments?
md

Nov 23, 2002 at 10:07 AM Post #5 of 51
I'm going to pretend I didn't see magicdragon's post in an attemt to be civil and whatnot.

millerdog
Gilmore good. More comments soon. But I don't have SR-325s so *shrug*.

Nov 23, 2002 at 10:14 AM Post #6 of 51
yeah you grado hater!
very_evil_smiley.gif

A real review of the KG by antness is really needed. I think vert liked the sudgen with my SR325s...that Stax traitor
evil_smiley.gif
If you got the KG amp....please rock and roll a review!
thanks,
md

Nov 23, 2002 at 2:14 PM Post #8 of 51
Kelly,

Thank you for being civil.

Millerdog,

Thanks for starting the tread on my behalf.

Guys,

I not looking for a Grado bashing or defending match here.

I have a genuine problem that I'm trying to solve without wasting too much money (aren't we all?). Selling off my Grado gear would be my last resort.
I find my RS-1 a tad too bright. The Creek solves some of the problems (when connected to Jack 1) but brings with it other issues. When connected to Jack 2 the other problems dissapear and the brightness returns. So I was looking to the Corda amps. In particular either the HA-1 or Pre-Head. Hirch has promised to give some feedback sometime next week with his HA-1 and RS-1.

In the event that nothing will remove the brightness, I'll switch headphones to something other than Grado. Not Senn but probably Beyer.

Nov 23, 2002 at 2:41 PM Post #9 of 51
Magicdragon.

Have you tried the Sennheiser HD-414 replacement pads on the RS-1? I'm using them now, and I think they're a major improvement over the bowl pads. They really reduce the high end glare. I can't even consider going back to the bowl pads after trying this.

kelly, this also works with the HP-1000. They cost something like 6.95 + shipping from Sennheiser. You'll want to cut the foam out of the center, to fully expose the driver. Get a few, you're going to want spares...

Nov 23, 2002 at 3:57 PM Post #11 of 51
The Grace 901 is the best sounding solid state amp I've heard with the RS1 & 325 and is in fact the only amp I've heard that can provide these phones with all the current they can use. OK, so it's the only solid state amp I've heard in it's class, the only other solid states were portable battery operated types and are not even close, see my profile. The biggest drawbacks to the Grace are 1. It's expensive, and 2. I don't know anywhere you can audition one. The pluses are that it will properly drive any phone your likely to come across including the K1000, and has a good built in DAC.

If you haven't ruled out tubes the RKV/Impedancer combo is incredibly sweet with the 325's. My opinion of the EMP is that although the mid & upper range sounds great with the RS1 & 325 it does a much better job on sensitive phones 40 Ohms and above (like the W2002 or W100) in the bass area. The HP-1000 at 40 Ohms is ok with the EMP but the HP's are much less efficient than the current line of Grado's and the EMP seems slightly underpowered, especially compared to the RKV which power wise can blow the doors off a K1000.

Nov 23, 2002 at 4:25 PM Post #13 of 51
Corda + RS-1

I gave this combo a try. I also had the HP-1 handy, and several sets of pads (no genuine flat pads, alas).

RS-1 with bowl pads sounds like the RS-1. Peaky with an emphasized high end region. Vocals sounded tipped toward the highs and unnatural. Smooth sound, but nothing close to real.

RS-1 with bowl pads, rubber cement about 50% of the surround: better, but not great. Same kind of sound as above.

RS-1 with modded comfy pads (Grado SR-60 pad with hole cut in center). Much closer perspective, and the high end edginess is greatly reduced. Still a bit peaky

RS-1 with modded HD-414 pad. Best pad for the RS-1/Corda combo, and so far the best pad short of an original flat pad for the RS-1. Finally a pad that takes off the high end edginess. Voices sound intimate and personal. Real. This variant of the RS-1 is a good combo with the Corda.

HP-1 with bowl pad. Much better than RS-1, but midrange isn't full. Perspective is distant, as with RS-1, but doesn't have the same high end sizzle. Voices are more natural, but far away. Loads of detail.

HP-1 with modded bowl pad: Fills in the midrange from the standard bowl pad. Lots of detail, and a very good option for the HP-1

HP-1 with modded comfy pad. Close in perspective makes the music more intimate. Still well detailed, but may be some reduction in detail over the bowl pads.

HP-1 with modded Sennheiser pads. Very clear reduction in detailing over the modded comfy pads. Same intimate perspective, but there's a clear loss of information.

After this exercise, I'd say the modded Senn pads were the best pads in current production for the RS-1. However, I think the HP-1 does better with either the modded bowl pads, for a distant highly detailed perspective, or the modded comfy pads for a more intimate sound with more emphasis on the midrange.

All of this was done with the Corda, which is an excellent amp for either headphone, IMO. You need to go up the price scale or to DIY to do any better.

Nov 23, 2002 at 5:12 PM Post #14 of 51
I just ordered two pairs! I figure one to hack and one to keep around. If they sound really close to the flats, then we really do have a winner!

Nov 23, 2002 at 5:31 PM Post #15 of 51
Well...

I'll try the Senn pads and will soon place an order with Jan for the Corda - just which Corda is the only question.

Hirsch,

Is the Corda HA-1 and the RS-1 (with the Senn Pads) better sounding than the RA-1? And if so in what way(s). Not as bright? Better control of the bass (oh, sorry, trout). More ambience/air? And was this with crossfeed or without? If you could elborate a bit more it would really help.

BTW Hirsch, thanks for providing that useful tip about the RA-1 needing good 9-volt batteries. I just took out the alkaline batteries and measured them with a DMM and each read around 7.2 Volts (after just 18 hours or so of playback). Replacing the batteries helped the bottom end of things. Still looking for the Plainview 9.6 volt batt. Anyways, it's this sort of thing that one looks forward to in this forum.

And please please, Kelly, I've already read and know your views on the RA-1. I too know the shortcomings of this amp first hand but fortunately, for me, I do not find them as offending as you. In fact I think it's a rather good combo - just not the great. However, your point about getting a good DIY amp for the same money is accepted graciously. And, I'm still looking forward to your review on the Pre-Head at the end of the month.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back