Amps that can drive low imp. cans like grados and ATs?
Dec 7, 2002 at 3:24 AM Post #46 of 51
The K1000 needs proper source & amplification which I don't have at the moment. So recently I lent it to a friend of mine who has a Krell CD transport & McCormack amplification. It sounds great there. Bass is certainly not lacking but I still want to hear it with tube amps as I felt his system was lacking in the midrange. Maybe I'm just so used to the sound of the MG Head + HD600. I'm really looking forward to ASL's MG Head OTL32 project which can drive both low & high impeadance cans + K1000 can be used & as a preamp.

An HP-1 or HP-2 even, for the right price would still hit the spot for me! Who know's maybe I'll get lucky like you.

Rex SiTi is a pet name I have given to my car ('98 Subaru WRX STi Type R Version IV)
evil_smiley.gif
Goes like stink! A Nissan GT-R is called a Godzilla so I coined the REX from T-Rex (Rex also commonly used in australia I believe to refer to the WRX when you pronounce it) & SiTi from STi, added in a female name to round things off
wink.gif

Dec 8, 2002 at 3:36 AM Post #47 of 51
Should try the K1000 with Sun Audio 2A3 amp. I don't know how it would sound but it should be quite magical. If you have any buddies into tube amps you midght want to give that a try.

The HP-1 are very good - or should I say very netural. The RS-1 by comparision seem to have deeper bass and high highs. On some recordings this can be too much. On these recordings the sound is just right with the HP-1. Howveve, on generally simpler recordings like sara K tell me i'm not dreaming album the RS-1 out shine the HP-1. Comfort on the RS-1 is also better but not in the Senn or Beyer class. Sennheisers I find a little veiled - I wait till my pre-head arrives to before making more comments. However, I have only extensinve listening on the HD-530 MkII. Will borrow a HD-600 soon once the pre-head arrives.

According to Jan Meier, the RKV is better than his own Pre-Head for the AKG K1000 through the headphone jack.

Happy Listening and Selemat Hari Raya ya
biggrin.gif

Dec 8, 2002 at 6:23 PM Post #49 of 51
regarding the hd414 pads - what if you cut the pad to the same size as the grado opening but cover the very centre hole with foam (3/8th of an inch).

Dec 8, 2002 at 6:57 PM Post #50 of 51
Quote:

Originally posted by magicdragon
N@Z,

Sure thing...when the cows come home and when hell freezes over at the same time on the 1st of April while snow falls on Singapore.

very_evil_smiley.gif

Waiting for april

Dec 9, 2002 at 7:28 AM Post #51 of 51
Wallijohn,

Don't know - I guess anything is worth a try. Although at 3/8th of an inch you could be having very cool looking ear muffs/noise guards
biggrin.gif
The original Senn 414 pads are thinner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back