Amps for CD3000
Jul 26, 2002 at 10:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

tmiyanishi

New Head-Fier
I had a chance to try Grace Design 901 for my CD3000. Too good but pricy as well. I just need the quality of its amplifier part less than $300 if possible, since I plan to get a new DA other than Grace Design. Can anyone here advice to choose a good buy?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 26, 2002 at 1:21 PM Post #2 of 8
The only amp for less that $300 that I've heard sound good with the CD3000 is the Musical Fidelity X-Can v2 ($269 at www.acousticsounds.com, last time I checked. Call if it's not listed on their site). However, to get a really good sound, you need an improved power supply and to replace the tubes, which takes the price over your target.

Jul 26, 2002 at 4:09 PM Post #3 of 8
There's a used ZOTL here with some great tubes that's a bit above your price range, but well worth the extra. It makes beautiful music with the CD3K.

markl

Jul 26, 2002 at 5:27 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
There's a used ZOTL here with some great tubes that's a bit above your price range, but well worth the extra. It makes beautiful music with the CD3K.

I second this recommendation emphatically!! I've listened to this combination a lot, and love it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 26, 2002 at 8:54 PM Post #5 of 8
Thanks.
I may not be able to get the right tubes for X-can v2. Not enough time to look for also. So I prefer a ready-to-hear one. I just read some folks picked Creek OBH or Grado RA-1 for their Senns. They do not match with CD3000? Or alternative choice you make?
confused.gif

Jul 27, 2002 at 4:00 AM Post #6 of 8
I didn't have the CD3000 at the same time I had the Creek. With the Grado RA-1, the CD3000 sounded overbright, almost painfully so. Midrange was lost. IMO a poor combination.

you can find decent tubes for the X-Can at www.triodeelectronics.com. The JJ 6922's are a nice tube. There are better (and far more expensive) ones, if you want to get into older tubes, but the JJ is the one to go with if you want current production.

Jul 27, 2002 at 7:36 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
I didn't have the CD3000 at the same time I had the Creek. With the Grado RA-1, the CD3000 sounded overbright, almost painfully so. Midrange was lost. IMO a poor combination.

you can find decent tubes for the X-Can at www.triodeelectronics.com. The JJ 6922's are a nice tube. There are better (and far more expensive) ones, if you want to get into older tubes, but the JJ is the one to go with if you want current production.

I had the Creek OBH-11SE and the CD-3000 at the same time and they were a pretty happy combination.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back