Amplified headphone
Nov 5, 2002 at 9:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

mbriant

Headphoneus Supremus
Here's an idea. Or has it already been done?

With the latest developments in amplifier/battery miniaturisation, I'm surprised one of the headphone manufacturers hasn't brought out a quality phone WITH AN AMP BUILT INTO IT.

They wouldn't have to be bulky and the amp could be designed to work perfectly for that phone.

We all know the difference an amp can make, so these phones would likely be able to blow all unamplified phones out of the water...straight out of the box.

It would make portable setups a little more portable.

And the manufacturer can charge large for them too!

Seems like a win - win situation for both consumer and manufacturer.

Remember you read it here first.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 5, 2002 at 9:34 PM Post #2 of 15
Wouldn't that be heavy and require batteries...

Biggie.

Nov 5, 2002 at 9:40 PM Post #3 of 15
It wouldn't require jacks, and if developed with some serious R&D money and modern materials, could likely be built quite small and light. Perhaps with a small rechargable lithium cell. The whole thing could be integrated into the headband.

Nov 5, 2002 at 9:49 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

But like if it was to be done affordably wouldn't it end up looking like one of those 70's radio headphones?

I'm talking miniature amp integrated into the headband and/or earcups.....effectively integrating/eliminating the case. If it was designed right you'd likely get away with a slightly thicker headband. Perhaps "portable" would be a stretch...just as it is with any larger phone. Affordable comes with quantity produced.

Nov 6, 2002 at 12:45 AM Post #9 of 15
mbriant,

Do you know Sennheiser IS850?
http://www.sennheiser.ca/is850.html

Yes, this is wireless cans, but its not an matter in this thread. Interesting is it is equipped with high quality headphone amplifier and batteries on the headband. It weights just 330g, which is only 70g heavier than original HD580. When the IR receiver and DAC are removed, it will be less than 300g, which seems acceptable for most of people. This is one example.

If you really whant to have a integrated products as you wrote, please purchase some wireless cans and modify it to wired :)

Nov 6, 2002 at 1:18 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by mbriant
It wouldn't require jacks, and if developed with some serious R&D money and modern materials, could likely be built quite small and light. Perhaps with a small rechargable lithium cell. The whole thing could be integrated into the headband.

Yeah, but wouldn't it look a little funny with the tubes sticking straight up like that ?
tongue.gif

Nov 6, 2002 at 1:44 AM Post #11 of 15
akira: I hadn't been to Sennheiser's site in a while but yes, you are right. Wireless headphones would have to have some sort of amplification built in.

Oh well. I thought I was onto something there. Then again, without the wireless receiver part, amplified phones could be made smaller with less power required.

HighwayStar: Good point. You'd have to stay hidden inside like AKG 1000 owners.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 6, 2002 at 1:55 AM Post #12 of 15
One day, big dorky headphones will be the "in" thing in the fashion world. Then we will all be the sexiest objects on the planet.

Until then, I guess I'll just settle for having good sound.

Nov 6, 2002 at 2:01 AM Post #13 of 15
Actually there's a point hidden in there
biggrin.gif
Besides the fun (and expense) of matching cans with an amp, it allows you to find the sound you're looking for. And there's options a plenty. If the amp's in the can so to speak, so could your chances of finding your sound. And such a design would surely have to be solid state. But my original post does bring new meaning to the term "tubehead"
biggrin.gif

Nov 6, 2002 at 2:40 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by LobsterSan
One day, big dorky headphones will be the "in" thing in the fashion world. Then we will all be the sexiest objects on the planet.

Until then, I guess I'll just settle for having good sound.

You know? You're right...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back