Amplification solution for some vintage B.A. Speakers
May 17, 2006 at 7:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Gopher

Member of the Trade: LampizatOr Audio
A friend of mine's father is sentimentally attached to a pair of Boston Acoustics floorstanders. They are from the last 70s/early 80s and are allegedly difficult to drive. He's tried powering them with a 150 wpc and says that though it sounds ok the NAD is running extreemly hot.

I have a hard time believing the issue is wattage and the speakers must be a hard load to drive/something must be setup wrong--regardless his house is 6 hours away and I can't check the stuff out in person.

Looking for a <$300 solution to drive these suckers. Source will be a TV/DVD player--again, he's not an audiophile and is hanging on to these for sentimental reasons.

I don't know impedence or sensitive only brand and era... Reco away.

May 17, 2006 at 7:47 PM Post #2 of 4
Speakers are BA A200

Was able to find an old manual--hmm 8ohm speakers 91 d/b efficency. Looks like he should have quite a few options. Any of you guys driving older BA gear?

May 18, 2006 at 5:29 AM Post #3 of 4
91dB is fairly efficient. You could get away with a lot less than 150W. My guess is that there's something wrong with his amp. Maybe an impedance switch on the back is improperly set.

If your friend is not an audiophile, just get him a plain 2 channel stereo receiver. You should be able to easily find one for under $300. You should be able to find a Harmon Kardon, Denon, etc. around there. Those have decent build quality and should drive the BA speakers just fine.

May 18, 2006 at 9:11 PM Post #4 of 4
I realize 91db is pretty efficent and the 8ohm is a pretty typical load, so I'm not sure why his Nad was struggling.

Regardless--I know theres a lot of cheap solutions, but I feel like I ought to look for a real bfyb for him.

Maybe I'll look at used jolidas or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back