1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

amping the Koss KSC75s??

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by donaldekelly, Apr 22, 2005.
Next

Last
  1. donaldekelly Contributor
    Is there any point?

I have an amp coming for my ER4-P with adapter cable. Just wondered if the amp will also do wonders for the KSC75?

I think a few people say it will.

2. NeoteriX
    I have the KSC-35s, which are quite similar... I would say that I personally don't notice a big difference between the amped and unamped variations (I'm using a Go-Vibe). I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

3. Silfer
    Yep. I amp them sometimes with a simple MINT amp from the headphone out of an mp3player. And they sound fuller and I can't exactly describe it but it sounds better.
    But they're also very good without amp.
    BTW. That adapter cable is suppoed to do wonders for your KSC75s too. Although I never heard it. And of course than you'll need an amp.
    What amp have you comming?

4. crazyfrenchman27
    If you add a 75 ohm adapter or something like that to the chain, you will notice a difference. The character of the bass and highs really changes with that combination.

5. zaack
    add in a 75ohm adapter (or a P-S Adapter) when amping.
    decreases both ends of the spectrum (highs and lows, less screeching highs, a more controlled bass), The mids are a bit more clearer.

6. donaldekelly Contributor
    Thanks for the tips. Sometimes I just don't want to stick the etys in my ear and the $16 KSC75s have more bass, as well. This way I have two portable options.

I have a 75ohm adapter from Xin on order and already have the P->S Adapter.

My amp came just now - a Portaphile V2. Ordered Monday and arrived today - 4 days later!

It will take me a while to determine what I think of the amp - but so far so good. The portaphile tends to need to burn in for a while according to users and the maker of the amp. See portaphile owners thread for more info.

7. kramer5150
    Their tone changes when amped WITH impedence adapter. Bass bloat resonates/extends lower into sub-bass realm, and upper mids mellow a bit. IMHO sound spectrum is much smoother, less peaks/valleys.

Garrett

8. donaldekelly Contributor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
    Their tone changes when amped WITH impedence adapter. Bass bloat resonates/....
    Garrett

More bloat?

9. wolfen68 Contributor
    I've had good luck amping KSC-35's from an SR-71 and a Go-Vibe. Better bass (not more, but deeper) and sound all around.

10. psyco1
    I was impressed by how well the ksc35/75 took to amping when run to the Ear+. It doesn't change the overall sound, but it seems like it adds a layer of impact and the imaging improves too. Not quite to sr-60 quality, but not bad at all.

11. Kirosia
    I don't amp mine, feel no reason to. I just throw it on and get lost in the music, screw critical sound. [​IMG]

12. kramer5150
    Quote:

Originally Posted by donaldekelly
    More bloat?

I wouldnt say more ... just lower in freq.

13. MdRex
    Hello Kramer:

IIRC you made your own 75ohm adaptor. How did you make your own. I am not going to spend so much just to get Etymotics adapter.

Sry for hi-jacking thread. Thanks alot.

14. zaack
    Goes like this:

Left-in = > 75ohm Resistor = > Left-Out
    Ground in = > ----------- = > Ground Out
    Right-in = > 75ohm Resistor = > Right-Out

Just Resistors in parallel, soldered to the left and right channels..

15. kramer5150
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MdRex
    Hello Kramer:

IIRC you made your own 75ohm adaptor. How did you make your own. I am not going to spend so much just to get Etymotics adapter.

Sry for hi-jacking thread. Thanks alot.

I used 2% metal film resistors. I matched them with my DMM. Solder the resistors in line with the L/R positive lugs, and solder the grounds with jumper wires.

Try and keep the resistors and jack/plugs as in-line as possible. Enclose the whole tihng in plastic epoxy and file/dremel it smooth so it is round.

Here are mine.... obviously I wasnt after looks...
    [​IMG]

Next

Last