Amping my IEM's
Feb 18, 2011 at 12:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

hojomojo96

100+ Head-Fier
Will it produce better sound quality if I turn the volume up on my itouch all  the way, and keep the volume all the way down on my E5? Or if I turn it up on the E5 and down on the itouch? One thing I have noticed is that if used the first way, there is no hissing at all.

Feb 18, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #2 of 6
When amped the iPod should remove the option to change the volume altogether...

How are you connecting the amp? To get any benefit at all you should be using a LOD (line out dock) that will draw the unaltered signal from the iPod before it goes through the internal amp & pass that signal on to the Fiio.

The cable should be similar to this: 

Feb 18, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #4 of 6
The gain on amps also matters a lot, if your IEM is more efficient, get an amp with lower gain. A gain too high would create a lot of sibilance and it could potentially burn out your drivers if it is used continuously.

Feb 19, 2011 at 4:02 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
When amped the iPod should remove the option to change the volume altogether...

How are you connecting the amp? To get any benefit at all you should be using a LOD (line out dock) that will draw the unaltered signal from the iPod before it goes through the internal amp & pass that signal on to the Fiio.

The cable should be similar to this: 

Thank you for that explanation. I've heard of an LOD but haven't figured out what one really does until now.

I guess I now need to find one for my HTC HD2, if one exists.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back