Amping for AKG Q701
Jun 2, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #496 of 508
I have been very happy with my Schiit Vali2/Modi2Uber powering my K702s with WyWires Red headphone cable.

Feb 21, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #498 of 508
Guys already got a Fulla 2 for my K701 and it sounds fantastic! Volume level is more than enough (I use only 50-60% of Fulla 2 power, at maximum). 

But I'm looking for more quality at home and leave the Fulla 2 just for travelling. Plus, i'm getting tired of reconnecting the Fulla 2 to the Modi Multibit and the studio monitors every week. 
(What I have right know is Modi Multibit -> Fulla 2 -> AKG K701). 

I'm considering the following options: 

- Magni 2 Uber (185€)
- Vali 2 (195€)
- Lyr 2 (455€)

>I prefer the Magni 2 Uber because I can leave it 24/7 ON, without wasting energy (5W).
>I'm not sure whether the Vali 2 is a good choice for AKGs K701/Q701 but I'm considering it just in case. 
>And the Lyr 2 is very tempting, the only thing I don't like is the consumption (30W) and the heat (I live in a hot city, in summer more than 38ºC) but I'm more worried about the consumption and the need to turn it off (since I'm not the only user of my PC's powered monitors).  

Do you think a Lyr 2 could be overkill for these phones? So far I'm picking the Magni 2 Uber (and I hope it really improves the quality compared to the Fulla 2!). I don't really care about the price of the Lyr 2, if it really makes a difference 

Thanks!

Feb 21, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #499 of 508
I use a Vali 2 and Modi Multibit with my AKG 702s and it is quite nice. My 702s are corded with a Wywires Red headphone cable that took them up a step to compete with my HD 600s with Toxic Silver Poison headphone cable. 

Feb 24, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #500 of 508
  I use a Vali 2 and Modi Multibit with my AKG 702s and it is quite nice. My 702s are corded with a Wywires Red headphone cable that took them up a step to compete with my HD 600s with Toxic Silver Poison headphone cable. 

Thanks for the feedback!

So far I'm planning to get the Lyr2, probably next month, but mainly because it's price is not that bad in Europe and it's an amp for all kind of HPs. Also read that, according to some users, the Lyr 2 stock tubes don't give too much "tube experience" compared to other tubes. So maybe I'm considering buying a pair of cheap NOS tubes in eBay. 

It's good to know that the Vali 2 is another good option, if I'm down in the Lyr 2, I'll go with the Vali. 

Apr 8, 2017 at 10:48 PM Post #501 of 508
Is the (original) CEntrance DACPort a good match with the Q701? Can it drive it properly so it won't sound thin or sound weak on normal volumes?

Sep 16, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #502 of 508
I have been using a Little Dot 1+ with upgrade OP amp and tubes. I forget exactly what I upgraded to because it was a long time ago. It works very well with the Q701s. I am very happy with the pair but I have always wanted a pair of HD650s. I listened to a pair of HD600s with a Woo amp a few years ago and I was extremely impressed. Maybe a tad bit too warm but with the right music they sounded amazing together. I ended up joining the Massdrop on the HD6XXs a few months back. I don't want to spend the money on a Woo amp so I have been researching other amps designed for high impedance headphones.

The HD6XXs should be shipping in a few months. I know the Little Dot 1+ is not going to work well with the HD6XXs. That has got me looking into a new amp for them. Massdrop has the DarkVoice 336SE OTL for $199 but the drop ends soon. I know the DV will work well with the HD6XXs. My question is will the DV work well with the Q701s? I would love to have one amp that can power both the Q701s and the HD6XXs well but that may not be possible. I know the Q701s require decent power to drive. I also have a pair of HD598s which are very easy to drive. The LD 1+ needs to be turned way down when I use it with the 598s compared to the Q701s.

So will the DarkVoice 336SE OTL work well with the Q701s?

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #503 of 508
I have been using a Little Dot 1+ with upgrade OP amp and tubes. I forget exactly what I upgraded to because it was a long time ago. It works very well with the Q701s. I am very happy with the pair but I have always wanted a pair of HD650s. I listened to a pair of HD600s with a Woo amp a few years ago and I was extremely impressed. Maybe a tad bit too warm but with the right music they sounded amazing together. I ended up joining the Massdrop on the HD6XXs a few months back. I don't want to spend the money on a Woo amp so I have been researching other amps designed for high impedance headphones.

The HD6XXs should be shipping in a few months. I know the Little Dot 1+ is not going to work well with the HD6XXs. That has got me looking into a new amp for them. Massdrop has the DarkVoice 336SE OTL for $199 but the drop ends soon. I know the DV will work well with the HD6XXs. My question is will the DV work well with the Q701s? I would love to have one amp that can power both the Q701s and the HD6XXs well but that may not be possible. I know the Q701s require decent power to drive. I also have a pair of HD598s which are very easy to drive. The LD 1+ needs to be turned way down when I use it with the 598s compared to the Q701s.

So will the DarkVoice 336SE OTL work well with the Q701s?

Hi, I have a Figaro 336C (basically the same amp).
It does not work too well with my Q701. It's been year sisnce I tried that combo out, but I found the bass was rather muddy, and, very broadly speaking, just a rather unsattisfying experience.
Generally, I find my 336C sounds bets with high impedance headphones, for example, my 600 Ohm Beyer DT880 (a very nice match) and my 2,000 Ohm Sennheiser vintage 'phones; HD424.

Sep 16, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #505 of 508
Hi, I have a Figaro 336C (basically the same amp).
It does not work too well with my Q701. It's been year sisnce I tried that combo out, but I found the bass was rather muddy, and, very broadly speaking, just a rather unsattisfying experience.
Generally, I find my 336C sounds bets with high impedance headphones, for example, my 600 Ohm Beyer DT880 (a very nice match) and my 2,000 Ohm Sennheiser vintage 'phones; HD424.

My experiences also tell me that do not use tube amp like Figaro 336C with Q701.

Thanks for the responses. That is what I expected. I do know the Little Dot 1+ is not going to work well with the HD6XXs. The DV 336 SE OTL should be a good amp for the HD6XXs. At only $214 shipped it is worth a shot. I will try it with the Q701s and if it doesn't perform well I'll keep the LD 1+ for the Q701s. Having only one amp that can power both my headphones well might be a pipe dream.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #506 of 508
Thanks for the responses. That is what I expected. I do know the Little Dot 1+ is not going to work well with the HD6XXs. The DV 336 SE OTL should be a good amp for the HD6XXs. At only $214 shipped it is worth a shot. I will try it with the Q701s and if it doesn't perform well I'll keep the LD 1+ for the Q701s. Having only one amp that can power both my headphones well might be a pipe dream.

The 336 sounds good with the stock Chinese tubes, but it sounds even better with a nice set of NOS tubes.
If you like it with the stock tubes, you'll love it with NOS tubes.
I think the output impedance of the 336 is too high for the Q701 'phones.

Sep 16, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #507 of 508
The 336 sounds good with the stock Chinese tubes, but it sounds even better with a nice set of NOS tubes.
If you like it with the stock tubes, you'll love it with NOS tubes.
I think the output impedance of the 336 is too high for the Q701 'phones.

If I end up getting the 336 I will be sure to check out the tube rolling thread here. I am not someone who will want to constantly be changing tubes. I'll try to find a good set that match up well with the phones I'll be using and with the music I listen to, mostly rock.

Sep 16, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #508 of 508
If I end up getting the 336 I will be sure to check out the tube rolling thread here. I am not someone who will want to constantly be changing tubes. I'll try to find a good set that match up well with the phones I'll be using and with the music I listen to, mostly rock.

TBH, I've rolled in various NOS tubes, but I found a pair I like so I stick with those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back