Amping D-211 headphone out . . .
Mar 13, 2004 at 3:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Kirosia

Headphoneus Supremus
. . good or bad idea? I'm getting my hands on one soon, would it be okay to use my pimeta to amp it? I"m only going to this because the headphone out is highly praised over that of the line out. Any opinions? Anyone tried this before?
confused.gif

Mar 13, 2004 at 7:35 AM Post #2 of 13
You can... but...

You HAVE to work out what the routine is for turning off the beeps the player makes, else you'll go deaf within a day...

(iirc, it is something to do with the pause button... I'm sure its been mentioned here before, but iirc its not the standard Sony way of defeating it)

Mar 14, 2004 at 4:48 AM Post #3 of 13
The player makes beeps? Sorry you kind of lost me.
confused.gif

Mar 14, 2004 at 9:54 AM Post #4 of 13
when you do track access manoevuers... yes, i'm 99% sure it does, like modern units, where you can turn it off by holding down the 'Stop' key when putting in the batteries (although haven't used mine for a few weeks so could be wrong)

Mar 14, 2004 at 9:59 AM Post #5 of 13
The younger Sony's (starting around the 303) acknowledge every keypress with a somewhat stupid beep through the headphone out. (I know what key I pressed cause I was right there when I pressed it...). You can defeat it by holding the stop key pressed while you plug in the power. The beep is independent of the volume control, so in any case it would be less annoying when using an amp with the headphone out, because you'd want to keep the volume control on the polayer relatively wide open.

Mar 14, 2004 at 10:15 AM Post #6 of 13
Peter...

The first generation beeps had a slightly different 'defeat' process... one that involved the pause key... I wish I could remember what it was... hmm
frown.gif

Mar 14, 2004 at 10:51 AM Post #8 of 13
Yes, checking the D303 instruction manual, the stop key does cancel it...

This is bugging me now, because I know I have at least one unit where the 'sequence' is different... I'm semi-sure its the D211... leave that thought with me a while
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 14, 2004 at 6:17 PM Post #9 of 13
Oh, I get it. I hate those beeps, they're very annoying. Back to the Q at hand, good results from amping H. out, or better to stick to Line? Thanks

Mar 14, 2004 at 6:27 PM Post #10 of 13
I never amplifiy the headphone out... it just sounds bitty to me compared to line outs...

YMMV of course
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 14, 2004 at 6:35 PM Post #11 of 13
Okay. I guess I'll have to experiment. Thanks guys.
biggrin.gif

Mar 14, 2004 at 7:28 PM Post #12 of 13
One other thing you should note is that the D-211's headphone jack outputs a pretty strong signal. A very strong signal actually. I don't have the balls to even try plugging my Shure's into it because I know it would be deafening at minimum volume. You might need an attenuation circuit of some sort...

Mar 14, 2004 at 8:00 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Cor
One other thing you should note is that the D-211's headphone jack outputs a pretty strong signal. A very strong signal actually. I don't have the balls to even try plugging my Shure's into it because I know it would be deafening at minimum volume. You might need an attenuation circuit of some sort...

No. The 311's (which is internally essentially the same) headphone out will max out around 1.2V or so, still well below the 2V of a standard fullsize player's line out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back