Amphora vs Burson 160
May 1, 2010 at 12:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Leicachamp

100+ Head-Fier
Hello.

Since Redwine/Alo sells both products, has anyone compared the two amps. I have the Amphora for the last 6 months and am quite happy with them. But recently there has been alot of talk about the Burson being better than many mega $$$$ valve amps. That has perked my interest for the only thing i wish for my Amphora is that it was a bit more lush.

I also have a Woo Audio 6 which sounds slow in comparison to the Amphora, but it has such an illuminating tone.

The perfect amp for me would be a combo amp of the Woo and the Amphora.

May 3, 2010 at 3:09 AM Post #2 of 4
I haven't heard the Burson but the sonic signature it has, or there lack of is pretty well known. That being said, what are you using for a source. I was using my iPod but eventually found it to be dull and un-involving. So I decided I needed tubes somewhere in the mix to give the sound the dimensionality that only tubes can provide. So I got a Eastern Electric MiniMax CD Player with a tube output. This combo is perfect. It provides the "lushness" that I wanted without slowing down the music too much like you mentioned. So if a new source were an option, Ken sells a DAC from Xindak and another from Music Hall. Both of these have tubes in the signal path. This allows you to keep the Amphora but give it that special touch.

May 4, 2010 at 7:02 AM Post #3 of 4
I have a YBA 400 Cd player.

The brightness of the Amphora has all but disappeared. My unit has had about 150hrs on it, but have not been used for the past 2 months. The first 20 hrs after i switched it back on was very thin and bright. At first i thought it was the cables. I keep upgrading the cables until i found the near perfect sound.

To confirm it was the cables that was causing the brightness, i changed back to the original interconnect. LOL the original cable sounded just fine!!!
k701smile.gif

Thus i concluded that it was not a cable related problem, but a burn in problem!!!

Anyone else experience the same thing after not using their Amphora for a period of time?

May 4, 2010 at 2:05 PM Post #4 of 4
Yes. The Amphora REALLY needs those first 200 hours for you to really see what she's all about. But as many people have pointed out before, (and I agree) when you turn the Amphora on form a cold start you need to let her warm up for an hour or so. Then she's in her prime. Funny that a solid-state amp would do this but we all know tubes do the same thing. Sweet CD Player by the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back