Amp (without dac) max 100 dollars, with at least 100mw per channel
Jul 13, 2018 at 8:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

swagadelic

100+ Head-Fier
I'm going to be using UR22 mk2 as the dac and it's hp amp is 6mw per channel. Yep you read that correctly.

Looking at the k712 pro, it is nowhere near acceptable. As those phones need about 5mw for low volume, and 50mw for medium volume and 100mw for loud..

I'm looking at the presonus hp4 but I want something smaller with just one output and even cheaper still

Thank you

Jul 13, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #3 of 11
I'm going to be using UR22 mk2 as the dac and it's hp amp is 6mw per channel. Yep you read that correctly.

Looking at the k712 pro, it is nowhere near acceptable. As those phones need about 5mw for low volume, and 50mw for medium volume and 100mw for loud..

Schiit Magni3

It won't have anywhere near the power of the Schiit Magni3 as it's cheaper and runs on batteries (actually, no battery powered amp can match the Magni3's output, which isn't distortion laden either) not to mention I wouldn't really trust the output impedance of pro products. For some reason they assume every headphone is 600ohms, although on a battery amp like that, accuracy isn't all that important, and it's preferable that the lowered damping factor boost the low end (although that doesn't affect balanced armature drivers to begin with, which are the most common pro in-ear monitor drivers because of all the airspace a dynamic driver needs vs just using three to four BA drivers).

Jul 13, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #4 of 11
It seems to me the magni is more audiophile grade with coloration of the sound. People mention smooth treble among other things.
I'm going to be producing music mostly so I wish to avoid hifi type style amps if possible. Also its over my budget.

But I suppose some slight coloration might be OK and it will probably last me a long time and it looks great. So definitely an option. Now if they only were sold in Sweden :/

Jul 13, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #5 of 11
It seems to me the magni is more audiophile grade with coloration of the sound. People mention smooth treble among other things.
I'm going to be producing music mostly so I wish to avoid hifi type style amps if possible. Also its over my budget.

But I suppose some slight coloration might be OK and it will probably last me a long time and it looks great. So definitely an option. Now if they only were sold in Sweden :/

Ummm....HiFi means "high fidelity." That basically means "true(r) to the sound," ie the original signal.

That's not absolute so when you crank up these amps you'll still end up less true to the signal since they'll start distorting, where you'll have some amps getting sharper treble while others get smoother treble; few among the powerful hi-fi amps get appreciable distortion at the low end since there power quantity and not clipping tends to be something more important than absolutely low THD at those frequencies. Some amps can pile on audible noise which can obscure the low bass, even offsetting the gains in cranking them up, unlike for example the O2, Meiers, and Violectrics that across the board stay totally quiet unless there's noise from the source. If you have a high output HiFi amp, as long as distortion and noise are well managed relative to output, you're highly unlikely to start hearing a lot of obvious distortion or even coloration at safe volume levels on anything but the lowest efficiency headphones (or speakers, whichever the case may be). If it runs pure Class A you won't get any crossover distortion, while some Class A/B amps have high output and may have high Class A bias, so at safe volume levels even on dynamic peaks you're essentially running in Class A.

A low power, high output impedance pro amp is going to give you a lot more audible coloration with their very low damping factor that gets you more driver distortion, plus amp noise and distortion, if not outright clipping the signal running out of power. In short, being labeled a pro product does not automatically mean that is the standard for transparent sound when you have all these problems.

"But then why do pros use them?" Well, they don't use them for mixing and mastering, just monitoring while recording (or broadcasting), then they check their mix on them later (which needs to be done on different systems anyway, like how Abbey Road has B&W 800 series speakers). They're also in a recording studio with acoustic treatment and no family members watching TV or talking, so a 300ohm headphone can get to a usable enough volume and also with impedance like that doesn't have any real problems with the damping factor.

Here's something similar and related to "pro" perceptions. People will claim HD650 is "audiophile warm" while the K701 is "transparent and detailed, like what pros like." Reality: K701 rolls off the bass early, which means the pros are hearing a narrower range when they use this. If the bass ends up bloated on a mix checked on the K701, maybe it's because the engineer overcompensated for the bass he can't hear. The HD650 has a smoother graph, which doesn't mean "smooth treble" is automatically bed when you compare it to the treble peaks on the K701. if anything some audiophiles would like the K701 for another reason: the wider and deeper imaging.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2018 at 12:03 PM Post #7 of 11
+1 here for the Magni 3. Lots of value and amazing amp, good pairing with all my heaphones

Apr 1, 2019 at 10:52 PM Post #8 of 11
Late to the party I suppose but I run 2 of the Behringer P1s in a balanced mono config off of batteries and this is one of the cleanest amps I have heard. Its def not colored, at least 2 of them together. Sure I have easy to drive planars at 50 ohms for the M1060 IIRC, but the behringers just don't distort. If they are looking for 600 ohms seems like they would't distort then either.

Batteries are key IMHO and is a reason things are so clean.

Def recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back