Amp (tube?) recommendation for Quad Era 1?
Feb 24, 2023 at 12:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

oldsoulrevival

New Head-Fier
I know that most don't recommend tube amps for planar magnetics, but Quad specifically made a tube amp for the Era 1 and I am wondering if anyone has a tube (or other amp) recommendation for this set that doesn't cost an insane amount.

I am currently running a modi-magni, but my magni has an issue with it and I need to replace it, so I'd like to not break the bank, but a couple hundred is fine if I'll see a noticeable difference. If I won't notice a difference, then I'll just get another magni since it powers it just fine.

Feb 24, 2023 at 1:30 PM Post #2 of 5
Those Quad Era 1 is only 20-Ohms, so a OTL (pure tube) tube headphone amplifier is not recommended.
A solid state or hybrid headphone amplifier, with a low output impedance (Ohm) is a better choice.

Feb 25, 2023 at 11:42 AM Post #3 of 5
hello,

Spontaneously, I think of the Little Dot 1+ that can drive it.
It would be good if you replace the Chinese tubes with Brimar or Mullard.
They are not very expensive either.

Sound amazingly good, construction quality not so good.

There are 1-2 hybrid amplifiers from Xudoo that are more solid-state. They don't sound as tube-like as the Little Dot.

I wouldn't necessarily take the Schiit Vali, the Lyr 3 might be better.

A used Woo Audio Firevlies if you can find one wouldn't go amiss.

Another popular choice is the Monolith Liquid Platinum, which is always on sale and is also worthwhile for other planar headphones if you want more.
You are on the safe side with these.

I don't know if Quad still make their amplifier, I think they have discontinued it.

Feb 25, 2023 at 12:00 PM Post #4 of 5
Those Quad Era 1 is only 20-Ohms, so a OTL (pure tube) tube headphone amplifier is not recommended.
A solid state or hybrid headphone amplifier, with a low output impedance (Ohm) is a better choice.
FYI, You could use Valhalla 2; it has low output impedance despite being an OTL. I have driven, to great satisfaction, my Audeze LCD-X (2016 vintage, 20 ohms) with Valhalla 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back