Amp to power both passive bookshelf speakers and headphones?
Jun 19, 2014 at 12:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Charlesbian

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm looking at getting the dayton b652's (am i right to hear they've fixed the quality control issues from before?) and new headphones to run from my PC. I understand that the dayton's are passive and require an amp, but I've read the Lepai amp that is recommended with them is not suitable for powering headphones? Is that true? If so, is there a relatively inexpensive amp you guys would recommend to power both the speakers as well as headphones (most likely either q701 or hd598's)? Powering both simultaneously would be nice, but not required. 

A bonus would be if it was a soundcard that included a DAC as well, as right now I am running off of onboard. Even better if the DAC included dolby headphone or something similar as I've always wanted to give those a shot. 

Thanks a lot

Jun 19, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #2 of 14
Listing an over all budget would be helpful.

Jun 20, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #4 of 14
  Hi, I'm looking at getting the dayton b652's (am i right to hear they've fixed the quality control issues from before?) and new headphones to run from my PC. I understand that the dayton's are passive and require an amp, but I've read the Lepai amp that is recommended with them is not suitable for powering headphones? Is that true? If so, is there a relatively inexpensive amp you guys would recommend to power both the speakers as well as headphones (most likely either q701 or hd598's)? Powering both simultaneously would be nice, but not required. 

A bonus would be if it was a soundcard that included a DAC as well, as right now I am running off of onboard. Even better if the DAC included dolby headphone or something similar as I've always wanted to give those a shot. 

Thanks a lot

speaker amp with headphone output? It sounds like you are looking for a stereo receiver: e.g., onkyo tx-8020 or Yamaha Natural Sound Stereo Receiver (R-S201BL)

cheers

Jun 21, 2014 at 2:13 AM Post #6 of 14
I use the Audioengine N22 myself.

Jun 21, 2014 at 5:49 AM Post #7 of 14
Audi-gd NFB-12 (now retired, new model is NFB-15). I use it for my headphones (including Beyer T1) and also for my passive Celestion F10s. I have to use high gain with the speakers, but it does a great job. Good DAC included and implemented as well (dual Wolfson WM 8741s)

www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1532/NFB15.32EN.htm

Jun 21, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #8 of 14
Audi-gd NFB-12 (now retired, new model is NFB-15). I use it for my headphones (including Beyer T1) and also for my passive Celestion F10s. I have to use high gain with the speakers, but it does a great job. Good DAC included and implemented as well (dual Wolfson WM 8741s)

www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1532/NFB15.32EN.htm

Those don't have any speakers outputs, do they? :confused:

Jun 21, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #9 of 14
Just fixed and variable RCA out. But it works perfectly with my set- up. If you need to, just DIY a couple of adaptor plugs.

Jun 23, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #11 of 14
  Would the N22 be significantly better than

http://www.parts-express.com/topping-tp21-class-t-digital-mini-amplifier-25-wpc-with-headphone-output--310-310

What metrics would you use to define "better"?

Near full power, the tp21 has 10% THD (but 0.1% at half-power) whereas the N22 specifies <0.02% at all power levels. Depending how loud you play the amp, distortion may or may not be audible in the tp21.

The N22 specifies a frequency response with +/- limits, whereas the tp21 does not.

The tp21 has higher overall output rating than the n22, so the tp21 is louder (marginally).

You will have to be the judge of "significantly better" once you've acquired the relevant facts. E.g., if you prefer the look of the tp21 and that's what matters, then you might conclude that it is better, etc.

Cheers

Jun 23, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #12 of 14
For the cost of the N22 + Dayton speakers, I'd go for the Denon 1513 if you have room for a full sized receiver and get the Micca MB42X. Or the Pioneer Andrew Jones BS21, BS22, or BS41. The BS22 are the newest model and best sounding of the three and are periodically on sale for $90 to $100.

Jun 23, 2014 at 12:07 PM Post #13 of 14
  Would the N22 be significantly better than

http://www.parts-express.com/topping-tp21-class-t-digital-mini-amplifier-25-wpc-with-headphone-output--310-310

A little more versatile, maybe, but better? Meh. The N22 only puts out 22 watts per channel, while the TP21 does 25 per channel.. The N22 costs significantly more as well.

Jun 23, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #14 of 14
  The N22 only puts out 22 watts per channel, while the TP21 does 25 per channel..

22 Wpc vs 25 Wpc is really only a marginal difference in power. Considering the jump in distortion at the upper end  of its power output, those last couple Watts in the TP21 aren't really HiFi anymore.

Remember, humans perceive ~10 dB as a "doubling" in loudness. The difference in output between the two amps is 0.55 dB, so the power difference is marginal.

At less than 1 dB difference in loudness, it is likely the the different max volume would be incorrectly identified as a difference in quality rather than actually identifying one as louder than the other. This is human psychoacoustics.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back