amp to go with fischer audio fa-003
May 18, 2012 at 3:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Gerbil

New Head-Fier
hey guys,
i just ordered an fa-003 clone from jaycar, and i want a decent amp+dac to go with them.
question is: will fiio e10 do the job or should i step it up to nfb-12.1 or o2+odac?

May 19, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:
hey guys,
i just ordered an fa-003 clone from jaycar, and i want a decent amp+dac to go with them.
question is: will fiio e10 do the job or should i step it up to nfb-12.1 or o2+odac?

Fischer are not hard to drive, why not try it from your source first? where are you plugging them to? 

May 19, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #4 of 15
hdmi out from video card to tv, rca out from tv to an old akai stereo, headphone-out from old akai stereo to headphones.
either this or: crappy on board sound card line-out to headphones.

i definitely need an amp+dac.

May 20, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:
anything? ^^

well... i dont think video cards do audio...hdmi yes but thats for the digital signal.... could be wrong.

get a cheap dac like a e10 and feed them to your akai stereo.

May 20, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #7 of 15
consider a centrance dacportLX, portable and the clarity will add control to this can.

May 21, 2012 at 1:06 AM Post #8 of 15
The headphone out on the old Akai stereo is realy bad, and I forgot to mention that I also have grado sr80.

As for hdmi audio from a video card - mine does it.

Furthermore, dealextreme ran out of e10's, and I can't find another place with the same price that send to Israel for free/cheap.

As portability is not an issue for me and i want the option for future upgrades to my cans, I was also considering o2+odac, nfb-12.1, audioengine d1 and ttd. I realy like the ~200$ desktop dac/amp options, but can't tell which of them is the right one (at least for the sr80 and fa-003 clone).

May 27, 2012 at 7:08 AM Post #10 of 15
Hi. If you're good at DIY, you could build a CanAmp clone which has a good synergy with fa-003. http://www.hobbielektronika.hu/kapcsolasok/heed_audio_canamp_fejhallgatoerosito.html?pg=1

Mind you, there's a bit too much gain in it for fa-003. That's not a problem if you like to listen to your music LOUD, which I don't. 
darthsmile.gif
  You'd need to lower the volume somewhere before the canamp.. Another solution is to lower the gain of the amp itself. Formula for gain: R3 / R2 + 1 which equals to 11 with default part values.

May 27, 2012 at 7:25 AM Post #11 of 15
I'm not into DIY because I don't have enough time and/or understanding. On the other hand, I have two engineers in my family who might find it doable, if only it were not written in Hungarian.

May 27, 2012 at 7:42 AM Post #12 of 15
May 28, 2012 at 5:11 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:
I'm not into DIY because I don't have enough time and/or understanding. On the other hand, I have two engineers in my family who might find it doable, if only it were not written in Hungarian.

I would not recommend this amplifier anyway, it does not look like a particularly good design.

Jun 10, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #14 of 15
bump

i got my jaycar fa-003 clones a few days ago... i'm really lost in finding a nice dac+amp for them and the grado sr80...

yulong u100, fiio e17, matrix m-stage+dac, hifiman ef-2a... i have zero idea which way to go. only thing i know is i need a nice dac+amp for cheap.

is there anything like the fa-003 in the world of dac+amps? (like, really cheap for what it does and still quite good)

Jun 12, 2012 at 3:39 AM Post #15 of 15
Hi Gerb,

I have the Jaycar clones too (Digitech's), it's paired with my fiio E17 + E9 (Just got the E9).

The sound is joyous to my ears and the E9 just added another layer of 'Big' sound!

The clones are my permanant phones for my tones!
darthsmile.gif

Kind regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back